Honeycomb Control Mounting

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Honeycomb Control Mounting

Post by GaryRR »

Has anyone yet done an under desk mount with their Honeycomb controls? I have seen a manufactured mount quite over priced and I was considering drilling out either oak mill work strip or aluminum flat bar from Home Depot and screwing the mount to the top and using the Honeycomb clamps to fasten to the desk. Has anyone done this or similar. I have the quadrant and it is quite heavy for the light stool I fastened it on to.

Thanks.

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Re: Honeycomb Control Mounting

Post by ImpendingJoker »

This is actually something I too, am looking for, especially for the Bravo Throttle. I have a custom home built pedestal that I used to have all my Saitek panels installed into but the Alpha yoke and Bravo throttle make a few of them redundant, so I took them out and mounted the throttle at the top, only problem is I use it for my Logitech Saitek X-56 Rhino Throttle as well when I fly DCS, and it's a pain to swap them in and out, so I am looking for a way to mount it on the underside of my desk so that I can just leave out instead of reboxing it after every flight.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Hi guys! I actually purchased the low rider system. A bit over priced, but actually worth it. We recently bought a new home and I was looking for a solution to mounting the Alpha and Bravo on the desk surface. It just seemed to be an unnatural position for them. So I also purchased one of the electric desks, that raise from sitting to full standing. I am able to get my controls in a natural position, I love it. I haven’t drilled holes to mount the low rider to the underside of the desktop yet. Probably will, but right now use the brackets (clamps) that came from Honeycomb. Works great!

I thought about making my own mount but sometimes it’s just easier to go with what’s available.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

wblackret wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 11:17 Hi guys! I actually purchased the low rider system. A bit over priced, but actually worth it. We recently bought a new home and I was looking for a solution to mounting the Alpha and Bravo on the desk surface. It just seemed to be an unnatural position for them. So I also purchased one of the electric desks, that raise from sitting to full standing. I am able to get my controls in a natural position, I love it. I haven’t drilled holes to mount the low rider to the underside of the desktop yet. Probably will, but right now use the brackets (clamps) that came from Honeycomb. Works great!

I thought about making my own mount but sometimes it’s just easier to go with what’s available.
That sounds like it could work. Here is a link to website for anyone that has the Honeycomb hardware and looking for an alternative method for mounting. https://www.allsportsystems.com/flight- ... -mount.php

I inquired and it comes with all the mounting hardware including the threaded inserts for the knobs used to secure the bracket to the underside of the desk. I do wish it was aluminum but, it seems to be pretty solid in the video.
Paul

Part 147 Instructor

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

That’s where I ordered mine from. I can confirm that all the hardware needed comes with the mount. If you just have the Alpha, there are holes also in the mount to affix one or two Saitek throttles as well.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

wblackret wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 16:18 That’s where I ordered mine from. I can confirm that all the hardware needed comes with the mount. If you just have the Alpha, there are holes also in the mount to affix one or two Saitek throttles as well.
Yep! Thanks for the heads up to this site. Next payday, I'm going to get one. :)
Paul

Part 147 Instructor

monica6211
Staff Sergeant

Post by monica6211 »

There is another alternative by Flight Velocity, the Flight Velocity Under Desk Flight Control Mount. It sells for $49.99 plus shipping. It does basically what the LowRider does, but with a little less flexibility. The LowRider has holes drilled to fit more controllers than just the Alpha and Bravo. But, it's biggest advantage is that there is no drilling required. The Flight Velocity mount uses the clamps that come with the Alpha and Bravo to secure it to your desk, which is very convenient. It also comes with replacement mounting screws for attaching the units to the mount. But the Flight Velocity Mount is restricted to only a few different controllers, mainly just the Alpha and Bravo. The mount is thick and very solid, so it doesn't bow when holding the mount. If you have the Alpha and Bravo, I feel this is the way to go. I live in SoCal, and I received it in just under a week.
Well, Back to Flying,
Monica

ImageImageImageImageImage

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I was considering buying a strip of hardwood plain millwork trim or flat aluminum at the Home Depot and making my own. The local mom n pop hardware has the longer screws and countersink bit. I'm only mounting the Bravo.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”