P3Dv5 way too dark

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

P3Dv5 way too dark

Post by DHenriques_ »

Just a shot in the dark (pun intended :-)

Has anyone discovered a way to make the P3D cockpits lighter. Flying at night there is absolutely no residual light on the panels. I know there's a flashlight but it gets REALLY dark in the pit to the point where you can't see ANYTHING :-)))) Is solving it a matter of messing with the display settings or can you do something in the sim settings?
DH

Seat7A
Airman First Class

Re: P3Dv5 way too dark

Post by Seat7A »

Hi DH,
I've had major problems with the cockpit being too dark in P3D as evidenced by other threads I've posted in this forum. For me the only real improvement has been to use the ENVSHADE and setting "Aircraft shadows depth". For me it has solved the problem and I am happy with how it works now.

/Thomas
Thomas ( Sundsvall, ESNN, Sweden)
P3D V5.3, MSFS2020, Intel 9 9900K Oc 5 GHZ, Corsair Hydro H150i PRO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB, 2 Corsair M2 MP600 1TB+500Gb, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO, 32GB DDR4, Win 10 BenQ 32” 4K. A2A, Q400, Maddog, IFly B737

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I've been experimenting with some settings in the Prepar3D.cfg file, mostly for daytime flying. I like the idea of Enhanced Atmospherics and HDR but firmly believe that it needs a lot more refinement by LM before it's considered done.

I am a compulsory tweak-er, so I use ENVSHADE for more options with lighting but am pretty much satisfied with these settings in Prepar3D.cfg for now.

MAX_EXPOSURE=2.200000
MIN_EXPOSURE=1.500000

The rate of change in Auto Exposure seemed off to me when changing outside viewing angle, so I've been trying different settings with the EXPOSURE_RATE. Default is 0.050000, but for now I set a base of 0 with the following.

EXPOSURE_RATE=0.000000

Steve.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Thanks for the replies. i'll experiment.
DH

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

I am currently using P3D 5.3 with the latest hotfix and Hf update. Another suggestion that I found over at the Avsim Forum:
--At the P3D toolbar menu, click on "Options" then Live Graphics. Click on the "Shadows" tab then scroll down to "Shadows Type" and turn off (un-check) "Internal Vehicle Cast & Receive". I found this somewhat helpful.
Using Live Graphics I have even tried turning off HDR to see if that would help. It also did somewhat for me but a little hard to get use to how things look without HDR.
Unfortunately, to resolve this issue is a process of experimentation until LM finally does fix the dark cockpit problem.

Good Luck,
Ray

PS: Another individual at the same forum suggested an addon called "Spotlights" by Flight Sim Labs. He was quite pleased with the results.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ray Mengel wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 00:54 I am currently using P3D 5.3 with the latest hotfix and Hf update. Another suggestion that I found over at the Avsim Forum:
--At the P3D toolbar menu, click on "Options" then Live Graphics. Click on the "Shadows" tab then scroll down to "Shadows Type" and turn off (un-check) "Internal Vehicle Cast & Receive". I found this somewhat helpful.
Using Live Graphics I have even tried turning off HDR to see if that would help. It also did somewhat for me but a little hard to get use to how things look without HDR.
Unfortunately, to resolve this issue is a process of experimentation until LM finally does fix the dark cockpit problem.

Good Luck,
Ray

PS: Another individual at the same forum suggested an addon called "Spotlights" by Flight Sim Labs. He was quite pleased with the results.
Thanks. Will try these.
DH

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi Dudley
'for what it's worth' (great track from Buffalo Springfield) and just to tick this one off the list of solutions (although it might be partly helpful, if in combination with other tweaks), ..... how about, on the top settings bar:

Options/Graphics/Lighting/Shadow Type/Internal Vehicle/Receive/UNTICK

(though, as 'bladerunner900 said on a recent thread, if you get the cockpit 'n panel too well-lit then it's gonna look "too clean, have no depth")

Privileged,

Rod (EGBB 3degC "a bit nippy round the Trossachs")

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

rod321 wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 09:51 Hi Dudley
'for what it's worth' (great track from Buffalo Springfield) and just to tick this one off the list of solutions (although it might be partly helpful, if in combination with other tweaks), ..... how about, on the top settings bar:

Options/Graphics/Lighting/Shadow Type/Internal Vehicle/Receive/UNTICK

(though, as 'bladerunner900 said on a recent thread, if you get the cockpit 'n panel too well-lit then it's gonna look "too clean, have no depth")

Privileged,

Rod (EGBB 3degC "a bit nippy round the Trossachs")
I'll try this. Thanks

DH

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Hi Dudley,

It seems obvious so I hesitate to ask, but have you played with the Lighting settings in the sim? Over the last couple of months I've been flying at night more than I have in the past and I do not have this issue, confirmed by a flight last evening. I started the Mustang on a dark ramp at KDAL and didn't turn the cockpit lights on until ready for taxi and did not have to use the flashlight. There is enough ambient light that I can see the fuel selector, gauges, switches etc. without any cockpit lighting. I also confirmed that the situation is the same with the Bonanza and T-6, which BTW has the absolute worst cockpit lighting I've ever seen...luckily it would not be needed I suppose, but it doesn't seem conducive to night flight at all...

I'm on P3Dv5.3 HF1+ with no graphics addons; just A2A and Orbx. I'm always using EA and it seems to be hitting its stride with this last update as far as I'm concerned...the look of the environment is very close to MSFS and I don't see it as "broken and in need of fixing" at all. For reference my setting for Lighting are: Brightness: 1.60 and Contrast (or whatever it's actually called ;)) is at 1.05.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 12:39 Hi Dudley,

It seems obvious so I hesitate to ask, but have you played with the Lighting settings in the sim? Over the last couple of months I've been flying at night more than I have in the past and I do not have this issue, confirmed by a flight last evening. I started the Mustang on a dark ramp at KDAL and didn't turn the cockpit lights on until ready for taxi and did not have to use the flashlight. There is enough ambient light that I can see the fuel selector, gauges, switches etc. without any cockpit lighting. I also confirmed that the situation is the same with the Bonanza and T-6, which BTW has the absolute worst cockpit lighting I've ever seen...luckily it would not be needed I suppose, but it doesn't seem conducive to night flight at all...

I'm on P3Dv5.3 HF1+ with no graphics addons; just A2A and Orbx. I'm always using EA and it seems to be hitting its stride with this last update as far as I'm concerned...the look of the environment is very close to MSFS and I don't see it as "broken and in need of fixing" at all. For reference my setting for Lighting are: Brightness: 1.60 and Contrast (or whatever it's actually called ;)) is at 1.05.

Cheers,
Rob
I'm with you on the lighting in the T6. We flew ours at night and the cockpit lighting was terrible. Typical for standard military single engines of the period.

I tried unticking the option that was suggested and there is a bit of improvement. I'd be very interested in learning what you changed exactly to get your satisfactory results when and if you ever get a moment. I'll try them for sure.
D

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 13:37 I'm with you on the lighting in the T6. We flew ours at night and the cockpit lighting was terrible. Typical for standard military single engines of the period.

I tried unticking the option that was suggested and there is a bit of improvement. I'd be very interested in learning what you changed exactly to get your satisfactory results when and if you ever get a moment. I'll try them for sure.
D
All I've done is this...
MkIV Hvd wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 12:39 For reference my setting for Lighting are: Brightness: 1.60 and Contrast (or whatever it's actually called ;)) is at 1.05.
I've flown our Harvard at night and it was fine. Note that the Harvard MkIVs are the newest of the series, having all been built new in the mid 50s rather than having been rebuilt/modified earlier models, as were the later model T-6/SNJ airplanes, so they may have figured out the lighting thing by then. I was referring to the A2A T-6 which has two lighting options; OFF or waaayyyyyy to bright...at least in v5.3 :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 14:30
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 13:37 I'm with you on the lighting in the T6. We flew ours at night and the cockpit lighting was terrible. Typical for standard military single engines of the period.

D
All I've done is this...
MkIV Hvd wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 12:39 For reference my setting for Lighting are: Brightness: 1.60 and Contrast (or whatever it's actually called ;)) is at 1.05.
I've flown our Harvard at night and it was fine. Note that the Harvard MkIVs are the newest of the series, having all been built new in the mid 50s rather than having been rebuilt/modified earlier models, as were the later model T-6/SNJ airplanes, so they may have figured out the lighting thing by then. I was referring to the A2A T-6 which has two lighting options; OFF or waaayyyyyy to bright...at least in v5.3 :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
LOL. I thought you meant the real plane.
We had a T6G and an SNJ-5 at different times. Both of them had those adjustable lens cockpit lights one on each side of the pit. Hated them.

I'll try these settings. Thanks
D

ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Post by ianfisher 101 »

I use FsSpotlights from FSLabs. I just create a wide dome light that covers the whole cockpit then turn it way down until you get the level to your preference. Then with the spotlights manager you can turn it on and off and edit the brightness as you see fit. Great thing about this is that it's aircraft Specific so some will need more light then others, job done.
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ianfisher 101 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 15:49 I use FsSpotlights from FSLabs. I just create a wide dome light that covers the whole cockpit then turn it way down until you get the level to your preference. Then with the spotlights manager you can turn it on and off and edit the brightness as you see fit. Great thing about this is that it's aircraft Specific so some will need more light then others, job done.
Sounds like a plan. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks
DH

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Good morning Dudley,

Please excuse my rambling, "going around the Wrekin" (hill), as we say in English Midlands

(Start P3D, and after selecting away from a default P3D plane, Mooney Accaim G1000) I've just got into our fabulous A2A Bonanza (at EGBJ Gloucestershire) around 9 am FAIR WEATHER i.e. the Sun is in the SOUTH EAST. Started her up, handbrake off and taxi incrementally in a 360deg circle. During the circling, the cockpit panel goes lighter and much darker depending on the direction the plane is facing. It is darkest when facing towards the Sun in the South East, It is much lighter when facing away from the Sun; in this case, the arc South West to North West.

My offering to you Dudley is more of a question. If YOUR P3D start-up configuration involves fair weather, (and you've now selected your A2A plane) can you replicate what I've just done?

So assuming the same happens to you, and assuming your default is FAIR/SUNNY weather then you could use that phenomenon to create (i.e. save and load) a couple of different start-ups e.g. "my morning plane", "my afternoon plane"; so that your default planes, prior to start-up, are parked facing different directions so they have the Sun BEHIND/PORT side. (the Sun is in the arc 6 o'clock to 8 o'clock)

Sorry my "advice" is in the form of a question; I guess I'm still thinking it through, myself.

Rod (EGBB; fair weather)

**NB. During this procedure I have already UNTICKED 'receive internal shadows' (as my pre-configured P3D start-up). If I now tick 'receive', the above phenomenon does not happen so clearly.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”