First Project Of New Year Done

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

First Project Of New Year Done

Post by GaryRR »

I just completed my first project of the New Year. It is very overcast and IFR here in Central PA so I decided to install my new WD Black 500 gig NVMe drive. It was tedious screwing in the standoff with my big hand and the magnetic nut driver in my precision tool set didn't fit the hex tightly but I got it started. Plugged in the drive carefully, screw and plastic washer in the notch into the stand off secure. I plugged everything in booted it up and viola, my Windows 10 recognized it and assigned it Drive E. I plan on doing a second complete reinstall of windows and all other software. I want P3D on that new drive and possibly FSX Steam. I will make sure all the passwords I need are good first. I may start over the weekend since the weather forecast doesn't look good for flying. I only sim with live weather or not at all just because I like to do it in sim as in the real world. Here is to hoping everything works better than ever on the new SSD.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: First Project Of New Year Done

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good stuff, hope all your projects of 2022 go as smoothly!

Just a heads up in windows you can reassign the drive to whatever you want and also name it whatever you want, I often change drive letters on first install so all my systems throughout my life have the same or similar drives just to make things easier for myself 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 09:03 Good stuff, hope all your projects of 2022 go as smoothly!

Just a heads up in windows you can reassign the drive to whatever you want and also name it whatever you want, I often change drive letters on first install so all my systems throughout my life have the same or similar drives just to make things easier for myself 8)

cheers,
Lewis
Mine are C,D, and E. E is the NVMe 500 GB I just installed. That gets P3D. I tried putting FSX SE on that drive but couldn't due to a write error. But it went on my 2TB Spinny DISK HDD just fine. It's okay. Was on there before and on my Drive C SSD also. Couldn't tell the difference but for some reason it is noticeable with P3D. A Mechanical Drive loads a lot longer.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I have now both P3D 4.5 and FSX Steam reinstalled. UTX, Orbx Global, LC NA, Buildings, Airports, Trees, and Ultimate Traffic reinstalled. Later today I will reinstall A2A fleet and RXP to both.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Gary,

not to jinx it but it sounded like all was going rather smoothly for you, how goes the rebuild. Ive did mine around middle last year and even today I still come across the odd moment when I realise Ive forgotten something. Only last week I had to go to an A2A team member for a bit of help with some software we use that I rarely have needed recently but then all of a sudden needed and realised I hadn't setup on the newer system :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 05:31 Hey Gary,

not to jinx it but it sounded like all was going rather smoothly for you, how goes the rebuild. Ive did mine around middle last year and even today I still come across the odd moment when I realise Ive forgotten something. Only last week I had to go to an A2A team member for a bit of help with some software we use that I rarely have needed recently but then all of a sudden needed and realised I hadn't setup on the newer system :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
It is progressing. I had a little difficulty integrating my custom ADE modified airports I did but I have one looking right now. I also have a new HC Bravo for twins and jets. It is heavy and I need to come up with a better mounting solution. I'm thinking flat oak millwork trim strip screwed on with a couple of the top screws and clamped under my desk with the included C-clamps. I also have to learn how to best configure it. The control software is confusing but I found a video. I also need V-Pilot yet for VATSIM.
Of course it all takes time as I work third shift sometimes 9, 10, or 12 hours a day and commute an hour and I'm 58 and I really only have a few hours on the weekend to either take lessons or sim practice. It's winter so I won't be doing a lot of IRL flying for a couple of months.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

So. P3D and all the extras installed.
Orbx Stuff
UTX
ASN P3D
UTL2
FSUIPC
And my custom ADE airports that I filled out and tried to make look as close to actual as possible using photos, personal visits and knowledge and the object libraries available.
I have my Flightsim Stuff Cessna Style push pull quadrant with trim and flaps hooked up and my new HC Bravo Quadrant for twins or jets. It mostly works bit the trim wheel is iffy. It should have been an axis, not a switch bit the trim wheel on my pull knob quadrant works great, it is an axis.
I have Accusim P3D now. I must retune my sensitivities, the V35 is rather twitchy since.
I also have FSX-SE installed with all the accessories but I need to adapt my ADE airport upgrades for it.
Next step is reload all of my other 3rd party aircraft. I will have different models between Steam and P3D.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice, glad to hear its still progressing well Gary 8) 8)

I must admit this being my first ever pre-build rather than building myself, it is nice to just plug it in and go hehe, however I do need to take it apart at some point as my temps are a lot higher than I would like, I am wondering if one of the damn fans has been put in backwards and is pulling in air instead of being the exhaust for the system.

cheers,
Lewis

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 07:00 Nice, glad to hear its still progressing well Gary 8) 8)

I must admit this being my first ever pre-build rather than building myself, it is nice to just plug it in and go hehe, however I do need to take it apart at some point as my temps are a lot higher than I would like, I am wondering if one of the damn fans has been put in backwards and is pulling in air instead of being the exhaust for the system.

cheers,
Lewis
My PC is a Cyberpower model I bought at one of our Best Buy chain stores here. Sticker was $848.99 US. It was a midrange in 2020 with
Ryzin 5 3600
Radeon RX 580 8 gig
240 gig SSD
2TB HDD disk style
8 gb DDR4 3000
Since I have boasted it by adding ram up to 32GB and a 500GB NVMe WD Black SSD. It crushes FSX maxed everything and I can max P3D 4.5 on scenery settings but I keep the card settings (Anti Aliasing, Anistropic, etc.) turned back and I average 40 FPS even over cities. It runs cool, good airflow. The next upgrade will be a 5700XT or maybe I will go nVidia with a 2070. The Ryzen chip is great. I think with a GPU boost in the future it should crush 2020 and the future XP12 with no trouble.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”