Controller questions

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Controller questions

Post by Mickel »

Team

I have been too long away from the joys of GA, and it is time to remedy that. I've run into a couple of things that you might be able to help me with:
1. In ye olde days, I had my Honeycomb yoke and was using my old Saitek throttle cack handed. It worked satisfactorily enough. Naturally, eventually I got the Bravo to go with. Only problem is that the original configurator got changed with the additional hardware and the old configs don't appear to work. So... I gather the Honeycomb configurator is a bit of a dog to learn. I've been looking at Axis & Ohs, FSUIPC and LINDA, which all simply have my little brain addled. If one were to go down the path of learning one of them, which should I pick? I remain forever hopeful that MSFS will eventually hit its straps, so it would be ideal if whichever is best works for both P3D & MSFS.

2. In ye verye olde days I bought my trusty X52. After twelve years of sterling service it's finally giving up. As it's simply unacceptable to fly a Spitfire or a Cub or anything else with a stick using a yoke, I need a new stick/throttle combination. What's a decent, above average model these days (which might simply be a new X52...)? I don't need a HOTAS Warthog or anything that fancy, just something reliable.

Any advice would be much appreciated, particularly on 1.

Mike
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Re: Controller questions

Post by GaryRR »

For GA get knobs. Go to www.flightsimstuff.com. I have the unit with trim and flaps. Works great, very precise and sets up easy in P3D.
Last edited by GaryRR on 27 Dec 2021, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

MudMoverGeorge
Airman Basic

Post by MudMoverGeorge »

I would recommend the Gladiator NXT product line from VKB, especially if you don't need a full-fledged HOTAS. https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat ... nxt-series
Although they're made in plastic as well, but the sensors are way better -- all axes are using high resolution contactless magnetic sensors including the twist axis(which is lockable if you have rudder pedals), probably will last longer than the partially? potentiometer equipped X52.
More importantly, their design is modern instead of other nearly 1~2 decades year old obsolete designs. I'd say the stick's gimbal design of an independent centering mechanism for each axis is mostly superior to the single spring+plastic ball of the old hog and closer to the real thing, despite the plastic structure. The gunfighter base uses metal and has a dry clutch damping system but comes at a higher price.
One of the drawbacks is the travel is reported shorter than the Thrustmaster T16000/TCA sidestick. However if you can afford the all-metal gunfighter base and respective grips https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat ... ter-series, it will definitely be better and close to the control stick in the real stuff with extensions (two options, one shorter one longer) which could level up the experience and authenticity to the next level. Vintage fighter grip https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gun ... ge-edition with the gunfighter pro-S/L option is probably the best cost-to-performance choice for your GA flying.
The newly released throttle/panel modules are highly configurable, with lots of combinations to suit your taste. They're using contactless magnetic sensors as well for longevity.
Software is much more versatile as well, highly configurable but might cost some time to learn. The good news is official tutorial videos are available and constantly being updated. https://www.youtube.com/c/VKBSim/videos Some teardown videos are also available in the channel so you can have a look at its internal structure to have some knowledge when you're making the decision.
And they are more affordable albeit a bit higher than the X52-class but well worth the money. The stick grip is designed for space and combat sim thus has a load of buttons which could be an overkill for you but you can choose the cheaper option to save a bit.

(If in any chance you prefer to upgrade to metal things, I'd suggest Winwing over Oldhog. https://www.wwsimstore.com/STORE Currently on Holiday season sales. IIRC their Orion itself is on par or even cheaper(at least for now, but I don't think they actually often sell them at the full "MSRP") than the oldhog. But they are way better in both designs, choice of material/sensor, versatility/functionality, etc. Perhaps the deal breaker will mainly be the high shipping cost nowadays.)

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Those units look really useful and the price is nice. I'm currently expecting a HC Bravo delivered Friday and I just bought a Cessna style trim/TPM/flaps unit from Flightsimstuff on Ebay but that three axis gladiator quadrent paired with the Thrustmaster Airbus stick would be great options for warlord flying.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Actually. I looked them over and the basic six axis Quad with the GA button box combo for 300 dollars doesn't look to provide anymore functionality than the HC Bravo Quadrant and the one I'm waiting on cost me 267 dollars tax and shipping totaled.

If you want to fly warlords economical would be the Thrustmaster TCA/1600 paired with a Saitek Quad. 70 something a peice if you shop careful.

MudMoverGeorge
Airman Basic

Post by MudMoverGeorge »

GaryRR wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 10:07 Actually. I looked them over and the basic six axis Quad with the GA button box combo for 300 dollars doesn't look to provide anymore functionality than the HC Bravo Quadrant and the one I'm waiting on cost me 267 dollars tax and shipping totaled.

If you want to fly warlords economical would be the Thrustmaster TCA/1600 paired with a Saitek Quad. 70 something a peice if you shop careful.
Functionality-wise affirmative, and the Bravo has a trim wheel as well, perhaps longer travel for throttle axes too. Though the Gladiators have some advantages on longevity since the Bravo is using potentiometers and the wire connecting the buttons on the lever and the control board inside the box is badly designed and fragile, there are reports of broken already(less than one year of use) https://youtu.be/dR-QUxHw1oA

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

It's a good thing I still have my trusty CH Quad. How violently would someone be using those throttle buttons? I assume those would be the TOGA buttons. I don't sim airliners but they will be nice for my twins.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Thanks Gary. I might go the 16000M route. Iiiiffff I get an Airbus splurge on I’ll look at the TCA. But that’s for later.

Will be interesting to see the longevity of the Honeycomb stuff. The yoke hasn’t blinked in ~15 months. I’d have thought you’d have to thrash the throttles to break them that quickly. Time will tell.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

The cool thing about the airbus stick is the ambidextrous hand rest. It's only airbus because of the labeling and color and if you can dis-regard that you can fly a Spit or a Corsair or a P-40 or Mustang. I would move my CH Quad to a stand on the left to have all the axis I need since my honeycomb will be my fixed multi engine Quad. I might get a bracket rest for a joystick so I don't need to unclamp my yoke everytime I want. to fly a stick aircraft. I would love to fly the Vertix Diamond. Looks very Study level. A2A has me spoiled and picky.

MudMoverGeorge
Airman Basic

Post by MudMoverGeorge »

Mickel wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 04:06 Thanks Gary. I might go the 16000M route. Iiiiffff I get an Airbus splurge on I’ll look at the TCA. But that’s for later.

Will be interesting to see the longevity of the Honeycomb stuff. The yoke hasn’t blinked in ~15 months. I’d have thought you’d have to thrash the throttles to break them that quickly. Time will tell.
One thing though IIRC the T16000M doesn't have a twist lock which the TCA has. It's better to have it if you have rudder pedals. Besides, the potentiometers used for the Z-axis are very cheap on both sticks and will be broken very soon, so a twist lock could be very useful when it fails to prevent undesired input from that axis.

I don't know whether those users have abused the bravo to break it but judging from the video, it's not a good wiring design and is somewhat cheaply built. And there are multiple reports. I'd think not to use the "reverser"/full aft range very often to protect the wire though since they are essentially just to activate a reverser button.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

MudMoverGeorge wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 14:03
Mickel wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 04:06 Thanks Gary. I might go the 16000M route. Iiiiffff I get an Airbus splurge on I’ll look at the TCA. But that’s for later.

One thing though IIRC the T16000M doesn't have a twist lock which the TCA has. It's better to have it if you have rudder pedals. Besides, the potentiometers used for the Z-axis are very cheap on both sticks and will be broken very soon, so a twist lock could be very useful when it fails to prevent undesired input from that axis.

I don't know whether those users have abused the bravo to break it but judging from the video, it's not a good wiring design and is somewhat cheaply built. And there are multiple reports. I'd think not to use the "reverser"/full aft range very often to protect the wire though since they are essentially just to activate a reverser button.
I am still waiting on the HC Bravo I bought off of Ebay. Shipping is running very slow. I will probably use it flying the C421 Golden Eagle and the Caranado PA31 and FSW Lear. There may be a Flight1 or Milviz King Air in my future to. I don't fly airliners. No time for realistic revenue flights. The CRJ Pro would be most I'm interested in. I would have time for Northeast US regional hops with that.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”