Windows clean re-install

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
gaab
Airman Basic

Windows clean re-install

Post by gaab »

Hello,

I am about to start a clean re-install on my existing PC. Do I need to un-install first my A2A addons (under P3D V5.3) ?

Thanks for your advice.

Gérard

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Re: Windows clean re-install

Post by GaryRR »

I did that last spring. I did a TOTAL. When you do a TOTAL reinstall everything will be removed as if it was never there. And then you will have to rebuild your sim software setup from scratch, starting with the sim platform itself and then advancing into addons. Just remember, every peice you put back, run the sim immediatly before installing the next thing so the CFG file writes itself in a proper and orderly manner.

gaab
Airman Basic

Post by gaab »

Ok - thanks
I will check that I have all installers back-up before going on :)

Gérard

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

P3D definitely has (or had) license removal steps you need to follow but I forget how the A2A licenses were.

But one thing I would suggest if you are to the point of a full reinstall is to use the most recent install media from Microsoft. You can download it and burn it onto a thumb drive. My install media was old and from when Windows 10 first came out. For whatever reason, it caused huge conflicts with Nvidia drivers. I had hit a wall where I couldn’t update them without performance going totally in the dumper. I had already done one full reinstall with the original media but that didn’t fix the issue. Out of desperation (and seeing someone else mention it) I pulled the latest install media from Microsoft and used that to rebuild. It fixed everything.

I later found a bit in the Nvidia release notes that their more recent drivers weren’t compatible with certain early Windows builds. I had thought Windows updates would turn an early build into the most recent but fundamental differences hung around. I guess Microsoft has never heard of diff but on my system there were major fundamental differences between a fully-updated build from early media and a fully-updated build from recent media. The easiest to notice were in the security and privacy configuration, and after building with new media, those menus were very different with much more granularity in the new build from new media.

Good luck.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

AerialShorts wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 08:03 P3D definitely has (or had) license removal steps you need to follow but I forget how the A2A licenses were.

But one thing I would suggest if you are to the point of a full reinstall is to use the most recent install media from Microsoft. You can download it and burn it onto a thumb drive. My install media was old and from when Windows 10 first came out. For whatever reason, it caused huge conflicts with Nvidia drivers. I had hit a wall where I couldn’t update them without performance going totally in the dumper. I had already done one full reinstall with the original media but that didn’t fix the issue. Out of desperation (and seeing someone else mention it) I pulled the latest install media from Microsoft and used that to rebuild. It fixed everything.

I later found a bit in the Nvidia release notes that their more recent drivers weren’t compatible with certain early Windows builds. I had thought Windows updates would turn an early build into the most recent but fundamental differences hung around. I guess Microsoft has never heard of diff but on my system there were major fundamental differences between a fully-updated build from early media and a fully-updated build from recent media. The easiest to notice were in the security and privacy configuration, and after building with new media, those menus were very different with much more granularity in the new build from new media.

Good luck.
Sometimes old is good if you have Radeon and ATI drivers and RXP GTN. CTDs suck.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”