Vernier Controls

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Vernier Controls

Post by GaryRR »

Has anybody seen this or does anyone own them?
www.flightsimstuff.com

They would be perfect for all the A2A GA aircraft. I really want a Redbird Alloy TPM though.
Any comments?

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Re: Vernier Controls

Post by ImpendingJoker »

These are not Vernier controls and are not labeled as such. Vernier controls have a spiral groove inside them that allows you to twist each knob to fine tune that control. Pushing the button on the end releases the teeth that engage this groove so you can make large inputs, say for take off, then at cruise you can pull back to say, 20"MFP, while depressing the button, and then turn the knob in a Vernier fashion to bring it down to 19.5"MFP. The video shows the silver "buttons" on the end of the mixture and prop levers but it does not show them being depressed to make the large inputs being made in the video, leading me to believe that they are not Vernier controls, and not all airplanes with that style of controls have Vernier control rods, some just use a friction lock to hold them in place(which are sometimes found on Vernier control rods as well). If they dropped the price to say, $175USD, I'd say it was worth it but at $200USD for a 3D printed piece of plastic, that is a no-go for me. I have the Honeycomb Alpha yoke and Bravo Throttle Quadrant, so I am pretty happy with those but I do with there were some inexpensive true Vernier Cessna style TPMs out there. Here is a nice website showing Vernier assist controls. https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/produ ... -controls/
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Redbird Alloy TPM is true vernier I think isn't it? I knew that about vernier knows, the fine tune twist. I know these will just emulate the tactile part. I'm going to ultimately own a set of true vernier controls. I like the look and features of the Honeycomb. It is a future purchase, possibly late winter/early spring. (Tax Returns) 🙂🙂🙂

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

GaryRR wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 01:02 Redbird Alloy TPM is true vernier I think isn't it? I knew that about vernier knows, the fine tune twist. I know these will just emulate the tactile part. I'm going to ultimately own a set of true vernier controls. I like the look and features of the Honeycomb. It is a future purchase, possibly late winter/early spring. (Tax Returns) 🙂🙂🙂
I do not know about the Redbird TPM, as I have not looked at them. However, to go back to your original post, they offer a cheaper version that is just the TPM, that might be a good buy. I talked to the creator and he said that he had looked into Vernier controls but, for him they are cost prohibitive.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

He would need the literal control units used in a Cessna and connect them to to potentiometers. I read about one them, either Red Bird which I mentioned of maybe it was Precision Flight Controls, PFC which I could recall that name in my earlier post. One of them uses the genuine tactile aircraft controls and that increases the expense. I have ordered the Flight Sim Stuff version with the clamp, trim, and flap. I would have ordered the knows only but I wanted the clamp. I like to keep my controls and desk handy to rearrange for multiple different aircraft types so permanent mounting I don't seek to do. But I like to set up my interfaces to mimic the ergonomic right/left I would reach in the actual plane. For example, I have two mice. The one I use depends on which side of the on screen panel I'm clicking. I have a CH Quadrant which I bought from the beginning last year of getting back into simming. It works well but the levers are two small. So, it shall soon be replaced by a Honeycomb.unless I splurge on the Redbird 6 axis. I like the Made In US about the CH.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

He would need the literal control units used in a Cessna and connect them to to potentiometers. I read about one of them, either Red Bird which I mentioned of maybe it was Precision Flight Controls, PFC which I couldn't recall that name in my earlier post. One of them uses the genuine tactile aircraft controls and that increases the expense. I have ordered the Flight Sim Stuff version with the clamp, trim, and flap. I would have ordered the knobs only but I wanted the clamp. I like to keep my controls and desk handy to rearrange for multiple different aircraft types so permanent mounting I don't seek to do. But I like to set up my interfaces to mimic the ergonomic right/left I would reach in the actual plane. For example, I have two mice. The one I use depends on which side of the on screen panel I'm clicking. I have a CH Quadrant which I bought from the beginning last year of getting back into simming. It works well but the levers are two small. So, it shall soon be replaced by a Honeycomb.unless I splurge on the Redbird 6 axis. I like the Made In US about the CH.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”