my thoughts on MSFS (2020)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Saucey12
Airman

my thoughts on MSFS (2020)

Post by Saucey12 »

I am loving the quality of the graphics on our new sim, but that's about it.. my God the stock aircraft suck.. Does anyone know which one of the stock aircraft are the most realistic ? I have fooled around with a few but havent really had much fun with them. Too much glass cockpit and idiot proof flying technology.. I really do hope A2A will be able to bring their accusim technology over one day. We badly need it!

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Re: my thoughts on MSFS (2020)

Post by wrkempson »

Recently I flew the A2A C172 in FSX:SE and then the C172 in MSFS. For MSFS the controls have been tweaked mostly along the lines suggested by DHenriquesA2A. In both aircraft I did what I understand to be a power stall, a power off stall, a turning stall, a full flaps stall, a 360 degree turn at 60 degrees both left and right. I also noted roll rates as well as controls behavior at very slow speeds. Did take offs and landings trying to get a feel for characteristics peculiar to the aircraft. I am not a RW pilot so my observations come with a heavy dose of salt. However, to me the two C172's behaved very close to one another. Given that the A2A C172 flies much like the real thing (a safe assumption I should think), I suspect the C172 in MSFS with correctly adjusted controls (sensitivity settings) is a worthwhile flying endeavor. Again, I am open to a more perfect understanding.

I fly VR in MSFS with much enjoyment. The biggest lack is the absence of Accusim. There are no consequences for abusing the aircraft in MSFS, not yet.

Wayne

EDIT: Should have added I fly the C172 with steam guages. I find them easier to read, and that's what I am used to.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Saucey12 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 16:46 I am loving the quality of the graphics on our new sim, but that's about it.. my God the stock aircraft suck.. Does anyone know which one of the stock aircraft are the most realistic ? I have fooled around with a few but havent really had much fun with them. Too much glass cockpit and idiot proof flying technology.. I really do hope A2A will be able to bring their accusim technology over one day. We badly need it!
I believe that MSFS2020 is the sim of the future. It certainly has its share of bugs and issues right now but I also believe Asobo and Microsoft are working hard to make the sim better.
My main complaint at the moment is the ATC which is a total nightmare if you are a serious simmer but hopefully that will improve.
On default airplanes; After instructing in Cessna 150 and 152's for longer than I care to remember I can tell you flatly that the 152 in FS2020 is depicted graphically perfectly. The flight model is fine unless you have experienced our Accusim flight models. In that case I have to say that I am very partial to our own FDE's and that there is simply no comparison that can be made there. Accusim however WILL be forthcoming soon to FS2020 so hang in there. Things WILL be getting better.
All in all, FS2020 is well worth getting into. I have it installed and am enjoying it. I cringe trying to use ATC but am comforted by knowing they are aware of it and working on it.
A2A will be entering the 2020 market soon with our Accusim Comanche as our first offering.
Dudley Henriques

CorV-8
Airman Basic

Post by CorV-8 »

I also find the default aircraft in MSFS to be the same as the default aircraft in every version of each sim - mostly soulless with no character at all.

If you are willing to use freeware mods and you have a particular default aircraft you like I'd look for a mod that gives it more character.

Some mods I am enjoying:
The JPL152 mod; the avionics layout is not something you'd likely find in your average 152 but it's one of the few aircraft that is all steam gauges with no GPS, which I like.
There is a mod for the TBM930 that I also like a lot but it's currently broken and awaiting an update for SU7. There is also a G3000 mod to go with it.
There are some mods for the XCubs by BushLeagueLegends that seem much better than the regular default.

I am reasonably enjoying some of the default aircraft with mods while I try to patiently wait for the one aircraft I expect to fly more than any other, which would be the A2A Comanche.

Waffler11
A2A Mechanic

Post by Waffler11 »

First, a disclaimer: This is the only flight sim I’ve ever had, so I knowingly cannot compare it to X-Plane or P3D.

That said, I think MSFS 2020 is a very nicely and well done sim considering the complexity. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s come a long way since release. It’s steadily getting better and should get *immensely* polished as the next update is focused on fixes and improvements.

I’m no pilot, but I’ve been in my share of planes, including GA. The best default planes in the sim right now (with mods, of course) is the Working Title CJ4 and the Improvement Mod Bonanza G36. In fact, the G36 mod developer is working on a very A2A Accu-Sim-like addon, complete with maintenance logs, engine wear-and-tear and parasite drag (I think) seen here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/g3 ... rsrising11. Those two planes are my go-to when not testing the HondaJet, another very DEEP plane that’s approaching beta.

Soon, I’ll try out the bush legends mod of the cub as I’ve heard good things about it and want to use my new VR headset with it.

TL;DR - I think MSFS is plenty fine and will only improve with age. Give it time.

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

Well,

default aircraft from the Microsoft franchise have always been.......lacking.

Hang in there for Accusim! As Dudley says, things will be getting better.

Recently on the 16th of Nov Scott said:

"Today for the first time, I took off and performed a bunch of maneuvers in the air, came back with a nice flare and landed in an all-new Accu-Sim Comanche 250. All major road blocks are cleared."

This means that the A2A team already have some form of a working Comanche in the sim, they haven't been idle. They have the 3d model in a good state most likely, that doesn't need accusim to be completed, so with the last issues surmounted as Scott has said I wouldn't be surprised if we see some significant signs of a pending release pretty soon. Within 6 months I would say (completely my opinion so not worth much remember)

Regards,
-Peter
ImageImage

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Here are 'my thoughts', for what it's worth.

I have 136 hours of time in FS2020. About 1 hour of which has been spent actually flying. All the rest has been updates, patches, more updates and yes, even more (huge) updates. Oh, also trying to set up controllers.

That's all. :|

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

bladerunner900 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 06:11 Here are 'my thoughts', for what it's worth.

I have 136 hours of time in FS2020. About 1 hour of which has been spent actually flying. All the rest has been updates, patches, more updates and yes, even more (huge) updates. Oh, also trying to set up controllers.

That's all. :|
That's pretty much where I am too. I have something north of 160 hours on the Steam version, and all but about 10 of these are for downloads and updates. Of the 10, most of that has been setting up controls, graphics settings, etc. and maybe 2-3 hours actually flying. These days when I want to actually fly, I still do it in P3D. The JPL152 is OK and better than the stock 152, but if I want to spend some time in an old-school, fixed-pitch prop plane I'd rather do it in the Cherokee, even if the scenery doesn't look as good.

Saucey12
Airman

Post by Saucey12 »

Nice to hear from you guys! Glad to see that everyone else has pretty much the same impressions as me. I downloaded it on Steam 2 weeks ago, I havent even flown the A320 or b747 yet, all GA so far while I play around with control configuration. I set the overall graphics setting to "high" in the main menu and my rig runs it well, very few lines or alisaing issues, and the frames are good. I just bought the 60 dollar version, in my mind there's no use in giving another 60 for a few more stock aircraft that are probably no better than the one's already provided.
I'll give you an example of the stock aircraft.. I was flying the piper cub on a short touch n go tryout. The sucker stalled when I was on base at around 80 mph.. I was like what! Since when does a cub stall at that speed? Hell some struggle to even make it to 80mph period.
I agree with what one of you said about the c172.. It seems to be the most true to form.. I am just not a glass cockpit type guy. And the C152.. There's no way that one of those taxis that fast on the ground after you start the roll and then kill the throttle.. lol
So yea I agree , lot of work to be done by Microsoft and Asobo. I believe we will get there but it'll take another year I bet.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

I have had the opposite experience. For me MSFS has been a dream that's gotten me back into flight simulators. FSX and P3D never worked right for me. MSFS is not perfect, but I've got over 400 hours in various aircraft, and currently doing an around the world in JF's Piper Warrior, while waiting for A2A to release an aircraft. SU5 caused issues, but they were overcome within a couple of weeks. I have the Steam version, a lot of the problems I see on the forum (though not all) seem to come from the MS Store version. Most of the people I talk to have had a positive experience in MSFS, and you don't need add-on scenery/weather/controller software, to enjoy it. ATC is still problematic, but so was native FSX and native P3D, so I use PF3.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I got MSFS up and going pretty quickly and haven't had the nightmare "1 hour flying, 100 hours downloading" scenario some are describing. Yes, you need fast internet to enjoy MSFS as it was intended. I upgraded from my long standing 10 mbps (in reality usually only 100 kbps) provider, to cable Internet in September prior to buying MSFS and I'm happy with decision. Most of my MSFS 'admin time' was wrapping my head around how it differs from FSX and P3D.

I think many of the default aircraft could be interesting to some, but a little too exotic for my tastes. I feel the same about most of the default FSX/P3D aircraft though. A2A aircraft have become my sole reason for using those platforms. I still find the T6, P-40 or P-51 more satisfying than any of the default MSFS or P3D aircraft.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I suspect one of the things causing different reactions to MSFS is internet connection speed. When I am downloading scenery from Orbx I get 10 to 12 mbps. When I run a speed test from my internet provider they claim 115 mbps download and about 15 mbps. upload. I'm guessing installing scenery is slowed by the need to load it into the M2 drive. Can someone tell me what MSFS loads on the drive and what it loads into ram?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

How would I determine that? I can let you know the next time I fly.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

See here: https://guides.gamepressure.com/microso ... p?ID=55393
As I understand it, MSFS installs a full version of the world similar to what you get in P3D or FSX -- only much more detailed. Imagine if P3D shipped with every ORBX addon included by default, and that's essentially where MSFS begins. But then MSFS streams the Bing satellite images and photogrammetric cities from its servers over that to create the hyper realism that you see in screenshots. I think the streamed data goes to a cache on your drive instead of temporarily residing in RAM.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Saucey12
Airman

Post by Saucey12 »

Also guys.. Have you noticed how bright taxiway lights are versus the runway lights while flying through the air at night? I think the runway lights are pretty true to form at night, but they need to tone down the blue taxi lights. I can see the taxi lights at over 10 miles out well before the rnwy lighting lol. Maybe that is something they are also currently working on.

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”