my thoughts on MSFS (2020)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: my thoughts on MSFS (2020)

Post by bullfox »

IN 5.3 I was able to jack up the antialiasing to 8SSMAma with no frame rate penalty. It did seem that the antialiasing was a bit worse before I did that,m but now its better than in 5.2 when I was at 4SSMA.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

bullfox wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 14:37 IN 5.3 I was able to jack up the antialiasing to 8SSMAma with no frame rate penalty. It did seem that the antialiasing was a bit worse before I did that,m but now its better than in 5.2 when I was at 4SSMA.
Even at 8SSMA is makes little difference to me and looks worse than 5.2. It was brought up with Prepar3d. Now whether they do anything about it or not is another story. https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=143924

edit: Are you using EA on or off?

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Most of the time I don't use EA but it doesn't seem to make any difference in frame rates or anti aliasing. I have Rex Simulations for weather and the clouds look much better with Rex than with EA. However with EA the lighting is more realistic. I can get close to the lighting in EA with color temperature set to about 6400 and visibility set to 30 or 40 miles.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

HighAlpha
Airman First Class

Post by HighAlpha »

I’ve been out of the flight sim game for a few years now… The last of it was back in p3d v2.5ish days…. I got v4 but didn’t use it much. Spent the past couple of years getting into the best shape of my life and dumping 60lbs. Sold all my flight sim hardware and peripherals for gym equipment and CrossFit memberships lol.

I picked up MSFS2020 two weeks ago, and am using an Xbox controller to fly it on pc. It’s not perfect but it is pretty darn good. Been flying the Working Title CJ4 and tac’d on a Navigraph subscription this week. Added in a couple mods and it’s fairly tight. Honestly there’s only three things I’m missing… A2A aircraft, Reality XP 430/530’s And the wake turbulence I had from active sky. If I had those three things with some bug fixes, it’s not that far away from perfect for me. Visuals are stunning and make VFR flying fantastic. Icing has been fun when encountered with the cj4. And oddly enough, the live traffic and flying with people with live settings has been interesting, azure atc has been decent for an ai atc when it’s working (yea it does more than enough boneheaded things, but compared to where it came from it’s quite good). With time and seasoning I think fs2020 will arguably be the future. I didn’t have the 100 hours downloading/per hour flying experience as some had. Quite the opposite, the countless hours I lost perfecting fsx and p3d over the years were monumental, and all that idle time in an office chair chasing perfection in the older sim definitely contributed to the poor shape I was in back then. I’m not sure if RNAV is a new addition to 2020 as the lack of it was mentioned earlier here. But I was flying RNAV approaches almost immediately with that CJ4 before I subscribed to navigraph. All in all, as result, I uninstalled p3dv4 and freed up all the gigs on my HD. Eagerly awaiting what A2A will have to offer for it! And capping my sim time to a healthy few hours a week lol. Cheers

Saucey12
Airman

Post by Saucey12 »

After dabbling around and getting nothing but frustrated with MSFS over the past few months... I'm gonna retire from it until there's some reliable and quality 3rd party add-on aircraft for it. I can do without the bing maps eye candy, it's not a real pilot's sim yet. No matter how it looks and feels to some of you.. I hope im not offending any of the die hard MSFS believers out there! :o

Saucey12
Airman

Post by Saucey12 »

HighAlpha wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 17:35 I’ve been out of the flight sim game for a few years now… The last of it was back in p3d v2.5ish days…. I got v4 but didn’t use it much. Spent the past couple of years getting into the best shape of my life and dumping 60lbs. Sold all my flight sim hardware and peripherals for gym equipment and CrossFit memberships lol.

I picked up MSFS2020 two weeks ago, and am using an Xbox controller to fly it on pc. It’s not perfect but it is pretty darn good. Been flying the Working Title CJ4 and tac’d on a Navigraph subscription this week. Added in a couple mods and it’s fairly tight. Honestly there’s only three things I’m missing… A2A aircraft, Reality XP 430/530’s And the wake turbulence I had from active sky. If I had those three things with some bug fixes, it’s not that far away from perfect for me. Visuals are stunning and make VFR flying fantastic. Icing has been fun when encountered with the cj4. And oddly enough, the live traffic and flying with people with live settings has been interesting, azure atc has been decent for an ai atc when it’s working (yea it does more than enough boneheaded things, but compared to where it came from it’s quite good). With time and seasoning I think fs2020 will arguably be the future. I didn’t have the 100 hours downloading/per hour flying experience as some had. Quite the opposite, the countless hours I lost perfecting fsx and p3d over the years were monumental, and all that idle time in an office chair chasing perfection in the older sim definitely contributed to the poor shape I was in back then. I’m not sure if RNAV is a new addition to 2020 as the lack of it was mentioned earlier here. But I was flying RNAV approaches almost immediately with that CJ4 before I subscribed to navigraph. All in all, as result, I uninstalled p3dv4 and freed up all the gigs on my HD. Eagerly awaiting what A2A will have to offer for it! And capping my sim time to a healthy few hours a week lol. Cheers
No offense but flying with an xbox controller is just bonkers. Heck you may as well go back to mouse and keyboard flying lol. That is the functionality that MSFS included to broaden their marking base.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

He may not be offended, but I am. Some of the posts in this forum is so toxic and elitist, maybe he wanted to try it before he invested in a full setup, or is that not allowed in the rarified air of 'true' flightsimmers? Or maybe he enjoys it as is, who are you to judge what someone else may or may not enjoy.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Saucey12
Airman

Post by Saucey12 »

jsbrewster1 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 02:19 He may not be offended, but I am. Some of the posts in this forum is so toxic and elitist, maybe he wanted to try it before he invested in a full setup, or is that not allowed in the rarified air of 'true' flightsimmers? Or maybe he enjoys it as is, who are you to judge what someone else may or may not enjoy.
I get what you're saying. It's 2022. People get offended by literally everything;) . . Theres nothing toxic or elitist about having strong opionons and having fun with your hobbies and how you think its best played. It can be found in any hobby in world histiry. It's not like we are the government and trying to regulate things a certain way. Relax sir

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

What you said was judgmental, belittling and dismissive. I'll stop being offended when you stop judging other people by your skewed standards.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Saucey12 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 02:11
HighAlpha wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 17:35 I’ve been out of the flight sim game for a few years now… The last of it was back in p3d v2.5ish days…. I got v4 but didn’t use it much. Spent the past couple of years getting into the best shape of my life and dumping 60lbs. Sold all my flight sim hardware and peripherals for gym equipment and CrossFit memberships lol.

No offense but flying with an xbox controller is just bonkers. Heck you may as well go back to mouse and keyboard flying lol. That is the functionality that MSFS included to broaden their marking base.
First off, you do know that the Xbox controller was originally used when demoing FSX more than a decade ago right? It's not something that was done to broaden their marketing base. It's been there literally for 15 years. When I was in the Army and deployed to Bosnia, all I had was a laptop, FS2000, and Logitech gamepad. What was I supposed to do? Haul around my joystick to a forward deployment zone? As for your take on MSFS you are so far off base that it is quite laughable. You don't like it, and that's fine but, just tonight I was flying the new Aerosoft Twin Otter around OG39, and let me tell you...the Orbx scenery that covers that area? It's only needed for the buildings. The ground terrain looks way better than Orbx's, and I know, because I own it for FSX/P3D. Even 49OR is there, though hard to find in the snow at this time of year, and again, let me tell you, what is default in MSFS would cost you nigh $300 for the PNW packs to cover that same area. At that price you've already bought the Premium MSFS with all the planes and airports, the PMDG DC-6, the Twin Otter, and some scenery for my home airport in Florida(KPCM). Below I have included screen shots of the area I am talking about. Keep in mind, my computer is actually below the minimum recommended specs for MSFS, and it still looks and flies amazingly well. I have no issues nor take offense from people that don't like something, where I take umbrage is when they thrust their holier than thou mentality when people are truly enjoying something the best way that they can, and trying to hold them back by making them feel bad. I am not offended by anything you have said in this thread. You say you are waiting for 3rd party developers to get into MSFS, but if Aerosoft, JustFlight, and PMDG are not big enough names for you, then you need to just come out and say it, "That I only want A2A, and that I won't settle for anything else". Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong about wanting what you want, but trying to bring down other people who are enjoying the sim just because you aren't is beyond petty, and yes, I have been a HUGE proponent of MSFS, and I am not sorry one bit for it. Do I miss my A2A fleet? Sure. Is that my Achille's heel to letting me enjoy the things I like most about flying, which are the planes themselves? Not even a little. I still have my copy of SubLogic Flight Simulator on data cassette from 1982, so before you pop off and say, "You don't know what you're talking about", let that sink in. I'm 44. I was 5 when I got that cassette. I flew it like mad with an Atari joystick, until EA came out with Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Simulator, and after that the Jet Fighter series, and all the Jane's sims from WWII Fighters to Longbow Gold to Jane's F-18. I've flown it all. Oh, and get this, I love the Ace Combat series, too, but, it's lack of realism doesn't make it less enjoyable, nor does my love of DCS take away from those games. Why? I take them as they are and weigh them on their own. Does MSFS have issues? You betcha. Does default P3Dv5 compare to it? Not even in the slightest. The P3D flight model is still the same as it has been since ESP/FSX. The only reason people in this forum talk about it so much is because A2A has moved some of their planes to it. What happens when they do the same with MSFS? While we're at it let's add my 25 year's of real world aircraft maintenance and A&P instructor experience to the mix, so yeah, I know what I am talking about, and know what is wrong in MSFS, the only difference is, I can accept the flaws, look past them, and see the potential of the sim.
Attachments
At OG39.jpg
At OG39.jpg (326.65 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Near OR49.jpg
Near OR49.jpg (710.1 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Topic with a rare lock before it moves any further down the my toy is better than your toy talk.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”