Hard Lessons.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Hard Lessons.

Post by GaryRR »

Okay, so I have the Orbx Global Freeware Airports package and as I'm off until Sunday I decided to see some of the regional airports in the package I haven't seen yet. N38 Wellsboro and KERI Erie are the only two in PA I haven't flown to. We have winds and scattered clouds so I thought it would be good practice.
So I entered direct N38 on my Skylanes 530 on the apron at KSEG. Not a real long flight. From I-80 north it started getting bad. By the time I got near PA Grand Canyon the visibility was down to about 500 Ground. N38 is at 1850. No TAF there either. Winds 15 at 280 deg gust to 25 kits. I caught grass with my left main. I taxied in and considered saving scenario and continuing tomorrow morning. I was stupid. I topped up my fuel and set direct for KERI. I took off and within 30 minutes I was deep in cloud at 5500 and the precip had gone frozen. My airspeed started to drop and I decide to descend to 3800 to get out of icing chances. It was still turbulent and frozen so I entered direct KBFD Bradford. 10 miles out from BFD I disengaged the AP to enter pattern and as I was banking right a gust smacked me and I started to nose down. I tried to level but Aircraft got over stressed. Of course it didn't help that the dear lady texted me at that moment either.
Hard Lessons

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”