Comanche 400 on its way

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Comanche 400 on its way

Post by Scott - A2A »

Sold the Comanche 400. The engine went to one buyer and the airframe went to a company that will be installing a PT 6–21 550 hp turboprop. This 400 carries a total of 160 gallons of fuel. 60 gal inboard, 70 cal outboard, and 30 in tips. The Comanche fuselage is pretty, even without the beautiful wings. Also, look who has taken the 400's parking spot :)

BTW I'm not interested in taking the wings off a Comanche ever again. Being outside in the cold without gloves taking off hard to reach bolts and separating electrical wire isn't my idea of fun. It was an experience though :)
comanche 400 wings off.jpg
comanche 400 wings off.jpg (547.74 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
comanche 400 fuselage.jpg
comanche 400 fuselage.jpg (571.05 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
Comanche 250.jpg
Comanche 250.jpg (498 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
Scott
Last edited by Nick - A2A on 24 Nov 2021, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar in subject title
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Re: Comanche 400 on it's way

Post by Bones »

Oh, man. I had my credit card ready when I saw the thread title.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Accu-Sim chase car is the next project, Hooray!!!
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

You'll need that chase car for those tricky landings with the upcoming A2A Dragon Lady.

Seeya
ATB

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Very sorry to hear that the Comanche has moved on, but hopefully it will fly again. Does this mean no AccuSim Comanche 400??

The silver car looks great. Trans Am??

Does the hangar shot mean that you now own a Lancair?? The pics I've found on the net of that plane look great. I certainly wouldn't object if you gave that the A2A treatment :lol: :mrgreen: .

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

I wasn't aware you had a Comanche 400! I'm not hugely in the loop though these days, nice to see you've got the 250 ready to go. Can't wait for the Comanche 250 in MSFS, I've started a cross globe journey in it to re-familiarise myself with it before it drops in MSFS.

Regards,
-Peter
ImageImage

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Sad that you had to let it go but it sounds like it’s gonna get a new live.

Is there an STC to fit the turboprop or is that going to an experimental. Very interesting project. Hopefully we’ll see it once it is finished.

Also that TransAm is one sweet looking car. Is it yours?

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Bones wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 18:38 Oh, man. I had my credit card ready when I saw the thread title.
You're not the only one...

Oh, Scott, I hope you can find the time/effort/love for another 400, as just the sound of the engine itself is enough to get me teary eyed with joy.

Have a listen to this, folks, recorded from the wheel well of a Comanche 400 taking off. Isn't this the best music?

Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Comanche 400 on its way

Post by TreeTops »

Erik, you are not the only one who is sorry the 400 is sold.

Take a listen to this Beech Queen Air Excalibur (engines upgraded to the 720's) as it passes the viewer. Only thing that sounds better than one 720 is two of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVmYCWxsW8

This is the sad remains of a Queen Air which used to fly out of Jandakot, Perth, Western Australia flying an early morning run up north every day. There are few aircraft which can be specifically identified by sound alone and this was one of them. Such a beautiful sound which is now no more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRUgLHYTVoY
Cheers
Trev

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

This Comanche 400 sat for 18 years prior to A2A purchasing it. It was in a dry space for that entire time but it needed all soft things replaced, probably even the fuel bladders. However when we removed the prop for inspection one of the blades had a crack, which added a lot of cost and headache to the project. So it sat for 4 more years in our hangar. Selling it to someone who would bring it fully back properly was a breath of fresh air. This airplane will be gone through from top to bottom.

This and the Aerostar experience made the attractiveness of buying an old "fix-r-upper" less so. With the Aerostar I was always behind the 8 ball. If I were to to ever buy an old neglected airplane again I would only do it knowing it was to be torn down completely, then re-built. This IMO is the only way.

However we do intend on making the Aerostar someday, but we want to get two or maybe three single engine airplanes out first. The Aerostar is considered to be not just the finest handling twin ever made, but maybe even one of the finest handing aircraft ever made. It is a marvel of pureness in the air. It rolls like a missile. Very different to a Comanche 400 for example.

And regarding the operation of a Comanche 400 in general, the one thing I did not like about it was how crammed and hot that engine ran. I knew I would have had to make some serious mods as I just do not like running hot engines. Heat just destroyed everything in its path. And then, being a certified airplane I'd be up against all kinds of regulations that would add cost and headache. I'm not opposed to doing an Accu-Sim Comanche 400 someday but I think I'd rather make one with a PT-6 in it or a large Warbird.

The 250 IMO is just a perfect Comanche (much better than a Comanche 180). It does everything right without any vices. When my wife said years ago "you are not selling that Comanche 250!" I realized then the 400 was on the chopping block.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

"When my wife said years ago "you are not selling that Comanche 250!" I realized then the 400 was on the chopping block."

Happy wife, happy home :lol:

Keep smiling
Tug :)

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

Scott - A2A wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 08:12 we do intend on making the Aerostar someday
The only words I needed to read to convert a standard day into a perfect day.

Arturo.

Waffler11
A2A Mechanic

Post by Waffler11 »

Scott - A2A wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 08:12 ...but we want to get two or maybe three single engine airplanes out first.
Scott
This caught my eye! I'm guessing a couple of warbirds or some other civilian aircraft? (Sorry man, I have to ask!)

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

I see N550JL sharing the hangar. I'm going to assume the "JL" is "Jake's Lancair". :D That kid must've outgrown the Comanche a long time ago.

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

well the C172 is a standard. I would see that coming out fairly quick after the Comanche as it's ground thats so well trod by so many. But I think the community has wanted a twin Accusim plane for soooo long now. I remember way back in the days seeing A2A post on fb a picture of a Piper Seminole, I think maybe there was some initial research done on it but it probably fell by the wayside. I remember that getting me excited. The only thing I would put above a twin actually would be MY beloved B377! Please bring that to MSFS before I die and I'll die a happy penniless man :D
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”