tec question: could audio connection influence video performance?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

tec question: could audio connection influence video performance?

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

today I had an issue with the audio: While warming up my T6 and switching to the ATIS frequency the over all audio volume suddenly muted. It was still there but on a much lower level. If I got it right all sounds were played, nothing missing - but muted.
I remember I had that issue before with an other airplane and I don't know if it has to with a specific software or so. But my audio connector (headphones via cinch) has developed a lot of play. Maybe it's a (simple) hardware issue. Not sure at all...
So I plugged my headphone cinch to my screen which is connected to the PC via HDMI. So there's now a tight an reliable audio hardware connection. No connector play any more - and no sound issues any more so far...

So/But here comes my question:
Could this new configuration (audio via HDMI to screen then via cinch to headphones) alter the quality of the audio signal OR could affect overall video performance (fps) negatively? I have the maybe old style conception of good old (and uncomplicated) analog wired audio signal.
And: Does the "quality" of the HDMI cable itself play a role? I use one of the basic product line from the online trader with the "a" at the beginning here.

I have a very modest FSX PC and every fps counts... :( :)

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: tec question: could audio connection influence video performance?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Zacke you wont affect performance using the HDMI audio feed as its just another output socket built into the HDMI standard.

However if somethings muting when using ATIS it could be that your ATC is coming through a different audio device and you have auto muting/levelling on in windows so when you use ATIS/ATC the audio is auto muting/leveling to make the ATC voices louder etc.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I started experiencing that "muting" phenomenon after an update to Windows 10. I'd start up my sim as always, but as soon as I checked ATIS or tried to contact ATC, the sound level of P3D would drop to about 10% of what it was before.

I checked the forums and found that others started having this problem also, and it started with Windows security update KB4601319 from February 9 2021. Some of the folks recommended opening up the P3D sound control panel and going to the Communications tab. There it says "Windows can automatically adjust the volume of different sounds when you are using your PC to place or receive phone calls." You get a choice for four choices for muting when Windows detects communication activity. I select "Do nothing" but the muting still occurs. Unless I do the procedure below:

Now, before I even start my sim, I right click on the sound icon at the lower right of the tool bar, and then left click on "Open Volume mixer." Then I start my sim, using a default aircraft. After my sim loads, I go to Options in P3D and then go to Sound, and I select either my speakers (non-MP flight) or my headphones (MP flight). Usually everything works after that, and if it doesn't, I can hit [Alt]+[Tab] and get to the volume mixer and slide up the volume for P3D.

Is there some other setting in P3D that I'm missing?

Thank you
ATB

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks for your help, guys.

I will check that out and report back.

Regards,
Zacke

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sorry I cant be more precise, glad Paughco was able to chip in with a little more detail. Its not something ive suffered from in prolly over a decade but I do know as an issue its still something that crops up on PC's every now and then with the mic in use = audio getting lower.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”