Wesh Language

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Bixby
Airman First Class

Wesh Language

Post by Bixby »

Flew my a2a from Cardiff to EGOV on my way to the Mach Loop.

Went to a nearby pub for a burger and a beer. They did not understand me. I did not understand them either. As I walked back to the airport I remembered my Grandpapa swearing at me in a strange language telling me to get the blank out of here. I think that is what the locals said to me.

Bixby
Airman First Class

Re: Welsh Language

Post by Bixby »

I meant Welsh. Sorry to all Welsh and Gaelic speakers.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Wesh Language

Post by bladerunner900 »

I think you'd find that the English language is predominant in Wales, even if spoken with an accent. And contrary to what the saesneg may say, you would receive a very warm welcome from the locals.

Steve.

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Absolutely Steve

Wales, coast or inland, north or central or south, is a superb country to enjoy and stay. The area I know most, and so fly A2A, is Cardiff EGFF-Swansea EGFH, Pembrokeshire (and then as a springboard to get to Cork EICK, Ireland) ....(as well as Anglesey EGOQ and so on to Isle of Man EGNS; and so to Dublin EIDW and then Donegal EIDL). And thanks to excellent Orbx scenery for P3D.

Local Welsh women and men have always made us very welcome and I've never heard jibes about being Saxon/saesneg, though more likely I'm ancient Celt from North West and probably with Viking chucked in for good measure.

AND, other countries anthems are great; Land of Our Fathers, Flower of Scotland etc! (Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen-Lossiemouth-Inverness-Glasgow).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vkYiCdn834

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM4mIlYKG9s

Slainte mhaith ..... iechyd da ..... skal

Rod EGBB (what do I do now I've finished watching all episodes of Danish-Swedish 'The Bridge'? ..!!)
Last edited by rod55 on 20 Sep 2021, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

Bixby
Airman First Class

Post by Bixby »

Please accept my apology if I offended anyone here. As I was flying my A2A Spitfire around Wales and wondering how to pronounce the place names I was reminded of my grandfather who often cursed in Gaelic.

I do realize that Wales is bilingual and I'm sure they are very cordial. Even to a Yank whose attempt at humor was not in the beat of taste.

Bixby
Airman First Class

Post by Bixby »

Thanks for the links rod321. They were awesome!

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

No problem. I realized it was intended to be humorous. To be honest I've been to some pubs in Mid Wales (no names) where I, as a Welshman felt unwelcome. Just because I don't speak Welsh. Seeing as I was destined to work in the area, for 12 years as it turned out, I was determined to rectify that. Eight pubs and pints later that night, it was mostly mission accomplished. Although I was told later, if I was North Welsh instead of South, things may have gone differently.

Steve.

:wink:

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi Terry

you're very welcome and I appreciate your enthusiasm for these anthems. Have a good 'ol sing song. Then up to the sky!

Rod EGBB (out in the autumn sun)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”