Thought the A2A sim community would appreciate this RW preflight issue

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Thought the A2A sim community would appreciate this RW preflight issue

Post by Oracle427 »

On my last flight, the landing to be specific, I noticed that the steering seemed a bit "off". I figured it was just the stronger than usual crosswind because everything was fine taxiing back to the hangar.

This weekend I went to do some flying and did my usual preflight inspections and discovered a missing cotter pin and a castle nut that was seriously backed off on my nosewheel. The nut attaches the steering torque tube to a collar that wraps around the strut that turns the nosewheel. Had that nut come off I would have lost my connection from the rudder pedals to the nosegear. It also may have caused all sorts of havoc if the nut fell off during gear retraction or extension.

Keep doing your preflight checks and thanks to the A2A team for teaching everyone good habits! :)

I didn't take a photo of the part about to come off, this is after it was tightened up and a new cotter pin installed.

http://photos.app.goo.gl/RpcS2UWzX5QAocRN6
Last edited by Oracle427 on 13 Sep 2021, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Thought the A2A sim community would appreciate this RW preflight issue

Post by DHenriques_ »

Oracle427 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 07:41 On my last flight, the landing to be specific, I noticed that the steering seemed a bit "off". I figured it was just the stronger than usual crosswind because everything was fine taxiing back to the hangar.

This weekend I went to do some flying and did my usual preflight inspections and discovered a missing cotter pin and a castle nut that was seriously backed off on my nosewheel. The nut attached the steering torque tube to a collar that wraps around the strut that turns the nosewheel. Had that nut come off I would have lost my connection from the rudder pedals to the nose gear. It also may have caused all sorts of havoc if the nut fell off during gear retraction or extension.

Keep doing your preflight checks and thanks to the A2A team for teaching everyone good habits! :)

I didn't take a photo of the part about to come off, this is after it was tightened up and a new cotter pin installed.

http://photos.app.goo.gl/RpcS2UWzX5QAocRN6
Excellent call! That one is VERY easy to miss. In fact, the average pilot doing an "average" preflight
might never have seen it.
DH

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”