MSFS2020 Need some help with the update

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

MSFS2020 Need some help with the update

Post by DHenriques_ »

I'm about ready to give up trying to get this latest world update for FS2020.
I've printed out instructions, gone to the "store" a dozen times, selected the 3 damn dots and tried every selection on the left side panel trying to get a download link. All I find is Microsoft Flight Simulator LAUNCH and the whole damn thing starts all over again.
Can't launch the sim and get the update there either. I get a dialog box telling me to go to the store.
Anyway..........rant over. LOL
Can SOMEONE give me the EXACT PATH to get the update and install the damn thing? :-)))))))
Thanks
D

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Re: MSFS2020 Need some help with the update

Post by jsbrewster1 »

I opened MSFS, it said there was a mandatory update, I acknowledged and it downloaded. I relogged just to be safe, then added the WU and the other updates for the sim. Everything is working fine. I have the Steam version, have never had any issue with updates, other than the stuff with SU5, even then it updated fine, just the changes for Xbox caused issues for a few days. But all that was sorted with hotfix 2.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

jsbrewster1 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 15:29 I opened MSFS, it said there was a mandatory update, I acknowledged and it downloaded. I relogged just to be safe, then added the WU and the other updates for the sim. Everything is working fine. I have the Steam version, have never had any issue with updates, other than the stuff with SU5, even then it updated fine, just the changes for Xbox caused issues for a few days. But all that was sorted with hotfix 2.
Thanks for the reply. Apparently Steam is different. If I start the sim I get the same message about the update but it tells me to get it through the store before starting the sim. The only option is OK. When I select that it opens a store window but once there I can't locate the download in any of the options.
Perhaps someone with the PC version like I have will answer. Thanks anyway for trying to help.
DH

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

There seems to be a bug in the MS Store that prevents the update from being recognized on some systems. People have reported that this can be worked around by first installing the Xbox app from the store and running it, then reopening the Store.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

TymK speak with straight tongue. Log on to the Microsoft Store. Search for Xbox app (not the Xbox bar thingy) download and install it. Then start MFS and it will go through the (almost) normal rigmarole. I feel your pain Dudley, the air in my room took on a distinctly blue tinge!
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 16:43 TymK speak with straight tongue. Log on to the Microsoft Store. Search for Xbox app (not the Xbox bar thingy) download and install it. Then start MFS and it will go through the (almost) normal rigmarole. I feel your pain Dudley, the air in my room took on a distinctly blue tinge!
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
D

Buffalo Alien
Airman

Post by Buffalo Alien »

Same happened to me. As stated above I installed the xbox app, kept it open and then launched MSFS2020 and the update process then worked for me. Huge download. Running fine now though.
P3Dv5, DCS World, ED Odyssey, MSFS PC & Xbox Series X. Win 11 23H2, ASRock B550AM, AMD Ryzen7 3700X 3.6 GHz, AMD Radeon RX5700, 64 GB DDR4 3000 MHz, ASUS TUF 23.8 x2, TM Hotas Warthog, TM TFRP, Xbox Elite Controller 2, TM TFlight Hotas One, MX Mech.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I finally figured out what's going on.
Looks like Microsoft is exercising their "You do this for me.........I'll do that for you" marketing plan.
Looks to me like Microsoft is forcing users to download the XBox App in exchange for the updates to Flight Simulator.
Don't know if this is absolutely true but it worked for me anyway.
DH

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Could have been worse Dudley, it could have been a U2 album :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you and yours are well?

D2
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Lucky you… I tried 4 hours, all the steps in the forum, no luck. Eventually I deleted the gaming services from the registry editor and ran a certain code in powershell which downloaded the gaming services again as the store couldn‘t do it itself. Then I got the update.

That was my night shift. If you ever wondered about a definition of „incompetence“…

alexhepworth
Airman

Post by alexhepworth »

I had this problem with SU5. I tried all the tricks to get it to work: d/l the Xbox app, type this or that into PowerShell, nothing worked. But also my Windows Update hadn't been working for a couple of months, so I decided to reinstall Windows. Which included reinstalling MSFS, about 120GB, for the 3rd time.

With SU6, I had the exact same problem. But this time I opened the Xbox app and then tried running MSFS and it updated fine.

Maybe with so many people experiencing these issues with this update, MS will finally fix this particular MS Store problem that has been around for a while.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I am so happy I brought the steam version, even though the main updates use the same in game system that little steam client part seems to help steam users miss so many of these update issues (so far).

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

TymK wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 15:56 There seems to be a bug in the MS Store that prevents the update from being recognized on some systems. People have reported that this can be worked around by first installing the Xbox app from the store and running it, then reopening the Store.
Ron Attwood wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 16:43 TymK speak with straight tongue. Log on to the Microsoft Store. Search for Xbox app (not the Xbox bar thingy) download and install it. Then start MFS and it will go through the (almost) normal rigmarole. I feel your pain Dudley, the air in my room took on a distinctly blue tinge!
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 19:14 I finally figured out what's going on.
Looks like Microsoft is exercising their "You do this for me.........I'll do that for you" marketing plan.
Looks to me like Microsoft is forcing users to download the XBox App in exchange for the updates to Flight Simulator.
Don't know if this is absolutely true but it worked for me anyway.
Wish I'd seen your posts yesterday evening guys, as I was confronted by exactly the same issue when I got home from a trip and tried to update MSFS to the latest version. I finally arrived at the solution you mention after quite a lot of muttered cursing, but should obviously have come straight to the A2A forums for tech support! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Torg Smith
Airman Basic

Post by Torg Smith »

You can uninstall the XBox App after the update is available. I did and everything is still working. They had said that was a bug in the Microsoft Store and should not have been necessary in the first place.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”