Finally upgrading from FSX.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Mr. Peashooter
Airman

Finally upgrading from FSX.

Post by Mr. Peashooter »

Well after 12 years growing up with FSX and accumulating a lot of add ons I think it’s about time for an upgrade. So I went out and got a gaming laptop with a Pretty stout graphics card and CPU for today’s standards. I wanted to get some input see what sim I should invest in. Either P3D and stay in my happy A2A bubble. Or MSFS 2020 and survive on the PMDG DC-6 (which I have no complaints about. Looks like a fun bird to master.) until A2A throws they’re hat into the ring?

Thank you and best Regards: Ty Smith.
Image Image Image Image Image

gpf
Airman First Class

Re: Finally upgrading from FSX.

Post by gpf »

That indeed is a personal preference. I have been using MSFS for over a year now and have never looked back. :)

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I bought P3D v5 a year ago because MSFS seemed like it needed some teething time. I've spent more on P3D addons than I intended -- AccuFeel, Active Sky P3D, three A2A aircraft, and some additional ORBX. As you said, P3D is very similar to FSX. Get it if you want the cockpit shadows and raindrops on your windscreen in A2A Accusim aircraft NOW. Get it if you want to fly A2A aircraft in VR NOW. Otherwise, I say continue using FSX and also get MSFS for what it currently has to offer.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

gpf wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 17:31 That indeed is a personal preference. I have been using MSFS for over a year now and have never looked back. :)
Have you stopped flying A2A planes?

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

It's a personal choice. For now I will stay with P3D. I have no interest in tube-liners and very little in GA, except one A2A GA. Although I have MSFS, the 'Ooh-Aah' effect soon wore off. When A2A port, or make new warbirds for MSFS I suspect that will change.

Steve.

gpf
Airman First Class

Post by gpf »

ratty wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 00:59
gpf wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 17:31 That indeed is a personal preference. I have been using MSFS for over a year now and have never looked back. :)

Yes I have. I will pick them up once they get published for MSFS. Again, there is no correct or incorrect choice for flight simulation. Its about personal preference. I have used flight sim products from the beginning. The first was Sublogic on a Commodore 64. I've used every MS series, 5.1 and up to FSX. I have owned Flight Unlimited, Sierra Pro Pilot, IPACS Aerofly, X-Plane, Prepard3d (all versions), and several combat flight simulators, with the exception of DCS. Before my adoption of MSFS, 95% of my sim choice was Prepar3d with a rather large hanger of aircraft from A2A, Milviz and others (PMDG, Majestic Carenado, ect.)

For me, MSFS delivers a great experience and the evolution it promises fit my needs. A2A will release titles for MSFS, just as PMDG, Milviz and others have. When they do, their aircraft will be part on my stable. So for me, it makes no sense to wait on A2A in order to enjoy what MSFS has to offer today.

I hope this makes sense.

Kind Regards

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

ratty wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 00:59

Yes I have. I will pick them up once they get published for MSFS. Again, there is no correct or incorrect choice for flight simulation. Its about personal preference. I have used flight sim products from the beginning. The first was Sublogic on a Commodore 64. I've used every MS series, 5.1 and up to FSX. I have owned Flight Unlimited, Sierra Pro Pilot, IPACS Aerofly, X-Plane, Prepard3d (all versions), and several combat flight simulators, with the exception of DCS. Before my adoption of MSFS, 95% of my sim choice was Prepar3d with a rather large hanger of aircraft from A2A, Milviz and others (PMDG, Majestic Carenado, ect.)

For me, MSFS delivers a great experience and the evolution it promises fit my needs. A2A will release titles for MSFS, just as PMDG, Milviz and others have. When they do, their aircraft will be part on my stable. So for me, it makes no sense to wait on A2A in order to enjoy what MSFS has to offer today.

I hope this makes sense.

Kind Regards
Perfect sense. I, too, go back to FS2 on the Commodore, and I've known a lot of flight simmers. It's hard to find any two that are really similar in terms of their preferences and passions. A2A aircraft scratch my personal itch; the platform is a secondary consideration.

russellwwest
Airman First Class

Post by russellwwest »

I was one of those that upgraded from fsx to p3d early last year.....and then msfs got released!! I held off MSfs for a while, but got it in October.
If you want to experience a sim with some incredible default scenery, but also want a tried and trusted platform with incredible aircraft (A2A). I'd say go for MsFS and keep fsx alongside for the best of both worlds

jclay13
Senior Airman

Post by jclay13 »

I upgraded my hardware about a year ago and was in the same position as you to decide if I should switch to P3D or MSFS2020 and ended up going with MSFS2020. I wanted to get something new and shiny and enjoy the release of a new Microsoft Simulator which hadn't happened since 2006.

Not being able to fly an A2A bird was also not an option so I still run FSX when I'm in the mood for an A2A fix.

My reasoning for sticking with FSX and not switching to P3D was that I had already invested quite a bit of money in A2A birds for FSX and I didn't want to purchase them again for P3D knowing that MSFS2020 was my future and would invest in new A2A birds on MSFS2020 when released.

If made available on MSFS2020, I would also re-purchase any of birds originally released on FSX and P3D so I can get down to one simulator. I've read some things that make me think those legacy aircraft won't be available for MSFS2020 which will be sad if they are not. If they are not released for MSFS2020, I may invest in P3D and some of my favorite A2A GA birds so I can run them on a 64-bit platform. My 32-bit FSX runs good but run into occasional out of memory errors on long flights and heavy ORBX scenery.

So I'll be all in on MSFS2020 if I can get the old A2A GA birds for it along with new releases but if not it will be MSFS2020 and P3D also so I can run those older GA birds on 64-bit.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I returned to simming last June after a 15 year hiatus. No PC in my life either during that time. I was still working so I threw my covid stimulus into buying a desktop. Ryzin 5 3600 with 8 gig of ram and an RX 580 GPU. $875 I also bought the controller trifecta, Ch yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant.
Then MSFS came out but no good to me as I wanted at least 32 gigs of ram, which I got now,, and at least a radeon 5700 before trying it. Then I found out that Live is required to use MSFS and that is a whole other problem with me. So, in May I went to P3D 4.5. Set it up with Orbx Global, LC NA, Buildings, Trees HD, and freeware airports. UTX for geography and roads and stuff. All on May sale. ASN P3D also. I really like it. Most everything maxed and it does look authentic. I may go for 5.2 eventually but likely I will go for XP 12 when it comes out.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Gary: An ol' buddy of mine used to say, "You gotta have a fast machine if you wanna get around." That is no bravo sierra. Applies to that V-8 motor under your hood, and the PC you use for flight simming.

Keep on rockin' in a free world.

Seeya
ATB

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Bought a XFX RX 6800 from Newegg. I think they got in two and I got one. Paid an embarrassing amount of money for it even though it was price reduced. It arrived today. What a monster.. I dragooned my son into coming up from the SF Bay Area over Labor Day to help me install it. I went with the 6800 rather than a 6700XT because with the prices of these things the 6700XT did not provide enough of a boost over my 5700XT. The 6800XT provides slightly better performance than the 6800 but uses even more power and costs even more. My computer room already heats up when I am flying so I wanted to keep the power usage down. I think the 6800 will give me about a 15% performance boost over the 5700XT.

In P3D5.2 my system works pretty good with everything nearly maxed out except when I go into bigger cites and the frame rates drop into the low 20's and it is noticeably less smooth. Hence the burning desire to blow a wad on a faster video card.

I have for now lost my desire to try MSFS. I have gotten interested in learning how to do repaints and airports in P3D. So that's where I am headed.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

I've tried them all. Mostly spent my time in FSX. Clearly though MSFS2020 is the future of Flight Sim. Sure there are issues to be resolved. [Don't Use Legacy Flight Model].
There's ATC issues, there's physics issues and some annoying plane performance issues. However the world and the weather is a wet dream for Flight Simmers. Seriously;
it is stunningly beautiful. Not quite as beautiful as it was before the Xbox port. Still, it's going to get better, as devs like A2A finally are able to get their aircraft into
the sim, and survive the update process. P3D is basically FSX, Xplane 11 is very good, but I'd still go MSFS2020. I've put 35 years into Flight Sim, and a good $2000 into
FSX, and switching was hard. I had to give up my beloved B377 Stratocruiser, but it will be worth it. My dream atm is the A2A Aerostar. Really hoping that comes soon.

jclay13
Senior Airman

Post by jclay13 »

Neon wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 10:53 I've put 35 years into Flight Sim, and a good $2000 into FSX, and switching was hard. I had to give up my beloved B377 Stratocruiser, but it will be worth it.
I'm curious why you had to give up FSX when you started using FS2020. I'm still running both and fly A2A aircraft in FSX for that experience and jump over to FS2020 when I want some nice scenery.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

jclay13 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:59
I'm curious why you had to give up FSX when you started using FS2020. I'm still running both and fly A2A aircraft in FSX for that experience and jump over to FS2020 when I want some nice scenery.
I didn't really have to give it up, but after tasting MSFS2020 which has everything I've ever wanted in a sim in terms of what the world
looks like, I just couldn't use FSX anymore. On top of that, I upgraded my computer for fs2020 and the new one didn't have a DVD
so I can't use my FSX installer, so I'd have to rebuy it. Not doing that. The only downside I can see to FS2020 is everyone is using
G1000 and it's taking away all the flight management you had to do, because it does it for you. I"m a steam guage kind of guy :)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”