P3D V5 questions

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
sotafaz
Airman

P3D V5 questions

Post by sotafaz »

Howdy,

I'm debating purchasing a P3D license. So I can enjoy my comanche in a better enviroment. But i have a few questions about the DX12 issues. To preface this I have a GTX980ti with 6GB of VRam.
I have read about VRam running out with the new DX 12 some users even reporting issues with cards that have 8GB. I was wondering if hotfix 2 and windows update 2004 have helped.

PS. I know im late to the party, But i started flying my comanche in FSX again and have fallen back in love with the platform as old and crusty as it can be :P .

Thanks for the help,
Sotafaz
ImageImage

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: P3D V5 questions

Post by bullfox »

I mostly fly A2A in the western US and Canada. I don't much fly into the bigger cities like Portland or Seattle. Most of the time my vram is around 3 or 4 gb in P3Dv5. I only once exceeded 8 gb of vram and that was in Tacoma. I had to restart at a bit lower settings. and flew out at the lower settings with no further problem.

I went with P3Dvd rather than MSFS because of A2A and I had a lot of Orbzx scenery from FSX. I was able to port over the Orbx scenery with no problem and added all the western True Earth regions. They work well and are worth the money. The other advantage of P3D over MSFS is that a lot of stuff can be ported over from FSX with little difficulty and a lot of what I learned flying in FSX is applicable to P3D. However, as good as the visuals are in P3D over FSX, they are even better in MSFS what what I have been able to tell. Frankly P3Dv5 is worth it just to not have to worry about running over the FSX 4 gb ram limit.

I think if you are really into flight simming you are going to want both P3D and MSFS.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Over on the Orbx forum they are reporting excellent results with P3Dv5.2 They are reporting there is no longer a vram usage issue, so if that is trum 6gb of vram should be plenty adequate.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

Fully agreed. VRAM usage for me is down to about 3GB on my 6GB card. Really good.
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

I've tried a version of P3Dv5 on my system with a GTX1650 with 4gb of ram and Pv5 would crash in any complex scenery environment (LAX or JFK for example). Rural/small city scenery worked okay, however. I certainly would not attempt running Pv5 with any machine that had less than 6GB of dedicated Vram.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”