"Poor Man's" head tracking

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Masterius
Senior Airman

"Poor Man's" head tracking

Post by Masterius »

So...having tried VR (using Oculus Quest 2) I'd wanted to try out head tracking--TrackIR being a prime example of such. However, I didn't want to shell out $150-175 on something I couldn't easily test/try (granted, with the Oculus, I'd had to buy that to try that, but I could do that within the same day) as that required several days to arrive after I'd purchased it.

After doing quite a bit of online research (Google...mmmm...Google is my friend ::grins::) I discovered several fascinating things. One was that you can easily DIY an IR head tracker setup for about $30 that performs as well as TrackIR. And another...

Another was that for $2.99 I have a decent head tracker. Opentrack is a free PC program that interfaces with a lot of different inputs. Using my cell phone, and using TrackAR for Opentrack (which cost the $2.99), it took only a few minutes to set up TrackAR to interface with Opentrack. So far, I've used it both with FSX:SE and P3DV5, and it seems to do a pretty decent job. Granted, I've no baseline to compare it with--perhaps those with TrackIR or similar could run a comparison check?--but if anyone wanted to get an idea what head tracking is like, this is definitely the cheapie route to go.

It does have a few quirks: for instance, if I "look" too far to one or another side, my "head" pokes out past the aircraft skin. Still, it's intriguing enough that I've been using it to explore the possibilities.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Re: "Poor Man's" head tracking

Post by GaryRR »

That would be great in open cockpit picking out the skin. No skin. So, what goes on your head? Post pics if you can. I love hacks. May want to try that one.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

GaryRR wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 01:14 That would be great in open cockpit picking out the skin. No skin. So, what goes on your head? Post pics if you can. I love hacks. May want to try that one.
That's the beauty of this: nothing goes on your head. TrackAR uses the camera in your cell phone to track your head movements. It does a really good job of that, too!

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Could it work with a tablet? I use FSRadio Panel app a lot on my Tab E. Perhaps both could run together.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

To the best of my knowledge, as long as Google Play Store has "TrackAR for Opentrack" available to download and install for your device, it'll work.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”