Bug Spalt

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Bug Spalt

Post by bullfox »

As I was getting into P3D I kept seeing things on the 182 windshield that looked like bugs. Turns out it was just bugs on my computer screen. Made me at first wonder if part of P3D was a bug splat sub routine that would randomly cause bugs to splat on the windshield. I also noticed that the 182 seemed to get more dirty with new flights. Made me wish there was a was and wax command in the maintenance hanger that would clean up your airplane.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Re: Bug Spalt

Post by iflyc77 »

That is a good point. PMDG has very pronounced bug 'splats' on their 737 NGX - it would be cool to see A2A incorporate that some day. Even onto the wings with a drag penalty and the ability to clean them off maybe. :D

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I have never seen many bugs on my windshield in a single engine prop plane in reality. That propeller at 2300RPM is like a guillotine for bugs. They are on the leading edges of the wings and stabilizer and on the prop and landing gear but none on the windshield.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Consider yourself fortunate. On every type I have flown in the summer months here in the NYC area, the windshield gets covered in bugs after a flight. It can be bad enough to start affecting traffic spotting of you spend a good amount of time at 1000-2000' AGL. Sometimes you hit large ones like cicadas and that leaves a big mess. I've tried various cleaners and polishes to see if they would need less likely to stick, but in the end of doesn't make much difference.

If you don't clean the windshield promptly after flight your all have visibility issues on the next flight and it also is much more difficult to remove the remains when they dry and harden. It increases the risk of scratching the plexi.

Edit: Earlier this year I did some flying in the Plainview, TX area where I picked up my plane. No bugs at all, just lots of dust.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”