Odd freezing at BIOS screen

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Masterius
Senior Airman

Odd freezing at BIOS screen

Post by Masterius »

Although this isn't something A2a is effecting, I'm hoping some wiser heads here may have some suggestions.

I have an old Alienware Aurora R4 desktop, running Windows 7 Home. The last couple of months it has been acting oddly during booting up, alternating between locking up at the BIOS splash screen and booting as normal. What happens is that, after having booted up normally, if it restarts/reboots (cold or warm) once it reaches the BIOS splash screen, where you can select F2 or F12 (or the hidden F8) it beeps once then the computer just hangs there. Nothing works: no keys, mouse; no input at all. Pressing the power button immediately kills everything: the machine instantly shuts down and all power off. Pressing and releasing the power button after that, and the computer does nothing at all for about 3-4 seconds, before turning on as normal.

It does this on a regular cycle, alternating between locking up at the BIOS screen and booting up to the desktop. I tried everything to fix it: disabling all services except MS ones using msconfig; unplugging all peripherals, including mouse and keyboard; assuring all software and drivers--including BIOS--were up to date. I finally pinpointed the problem: the wireless USB network adapter.

I've tried two different ones: Netgear and Belkin, and the same thing happens: If either are plugged in (and I've tried four different USB ports with each) the computer goes through the alternating freeze-and-normal boot cycle. If I unplug them, then the computer boots normally. If I have them plugged in, then unplug them before rebooting, the computer boots normal and without the odd 3-4 second pause. I just can't have them plugged in during a boot.

I can't seem to find anything online that addresses this, so I thought I'd try here.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Odd freezing at BIOS screen

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Masterius.
Have you done a search on computer startup beep codes , these should tell you whats wrong , the one i found for one short beep says its failed to refresh .
also when you say you have to unplug the wireless USB network adapter , before the PC will boot up , did you try unpluging the router for about 5 min then plug it in again to reset the hub , incase something in there is stopping the correct comms between the hub and wireless adaptor in your PC .
If all else fails , contact alienware .
regards Alan. 8)

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I agree with Alan. Do a search for beep codes. Sometimes reseating memory and I/O boards will do the trick, but that depends on what the error is. As always, if you don't have experience with reseating boards / memory, find someone who does.

Also take it down to a "minimum" system. ONLY have the mouse / keyboard / monitors plugged in. That may change the symptom. Typically, a beep code is something inherent to the motherboard. (memory, poorly seated board...)

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

The beep is normal: it makes the same one whether it boots up normally or freezes at the BIOS screen.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

IF you're familiar with the BIOS screen, AND ONLY IF, then you can set your BIOS to a default state and save it, then reboot. See if that corrects the issue. If not,

Is the clock always correct when it does boot? (Or is the clock correct in the BIOS?) Not sure how old your system is, could be a weak battery. But, if it's ok, and you set the BIOS to a default state, and it continues to freeze, you probably have some hardware in there that (again) isn't seated correctly or simply going bad on you.

TB
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

TBryson2 wrote: 24 May 2021, 12:43 IF you're familiar with the BIOS screen, AND ONLY IF, then you can set your BIOS to a default state and save it, then reboot. See if that corrects the issue. If not,

Is the clock always correct when it does boot? (Or is the clock correct in the BIOS?) Not sure how old your system is, could be a weak battery. But, if it's ok, and you set the BIOS to a default state, and it continues to freeze, you probably have some hardware in there that (again) isn't seated correctly or simply going bad on you.

TB
I've checked the BIOS, have altered settings as appropriate and reset them, I've pulled hardware, examined their connectors and reseated them. I've stopped, via msconfig, everything except MS services and rebooted. I've replaced the CMOS battery. The system flawlessly boots each and every time unless a wireless USB network adapter is plugged in.

I can plug other USB devices into those ports; they work fine. I can plug the wireless USB network adapter into any USB port; it causes the alternating freeze-and-boot. At least I've figured out what initiates the problem, and so, as long as I pull the wireless USB network adapter before a reboot, things work just swimmingly.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Have you tried a different USB network adapter?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Masterius.
did you try unpluging the router for about 5 min then plug it in again to reset the hub , incase something in there is stopping the correct comms between the hub and wireless adaptor in your PC.
This was one of my suggestions earlier , reason for saying this is , your PC when booting up without the wireless USB network adapter in , during its boot up check , will assume no network and skips that part and goes to its next boot up item , but with the wireless USB network adapter in , it say i have an internet , and trys to talk to the hub , and is awaiting a reply to confirm connection , before going to next boot up item , and this is then freezing at this point , as its not getting a reply from the hub , i have had similar issue , when my provider did updates to the service , and unplugging the hub for 5 minutes and plugging it in again resets the hub and clears out anything in the hub that can cause issues like this .
regards Alan. 8)

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

[/quote]
Oracle427 wrote: 26 May 2021, 16:00 Have you tried a different USB network adapter?
I've tried three different ones. Same thing happens.
alan CXA651 wrote: 26 May 2021, 16:05 Hi Masterius.
did you try unpluging the router for about 5 min then plug it in again to reset the hub , incase something in there is stopping the correct comms between the hub and wireless adaptor in your PC.
I'll try this later today.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”