airspace

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

airspace

Post by bullfox »

Can some one remind me what is the difference between airspaces that are out lined in blue and ones out lined in red or black?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: airspace

Post by Skycat »

I didn't know anything until I found this not long ago: https://pilotinstitute.com/airspace-for-dummies/

Similar page: https://3dinsider.com/airspace-classes/

There also many YouTube videos that try to explain airspace with visualizations.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

On maps in P3D airspaces are outlined in blue and red lines, my recollection is that it is the same in FSX. The seem to cover wider areas than just around airports. When flying VFR how do you treat these areas? That is my question. Sorry about the double posting.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

bullfox wrote: 19 May 2021, 22:54 On maps in P3D airspaces are outlined in blue and red lines, my recollection is that it is the same in FSX. The seem to cover wider areas than just around airports. When flying VFR how do you treat these areas? That is my question. Sorry about the double posting.
For VFR, you can fly above or below these airspaces. If you look at the chart you will see a numerator/denominator like 80/30.. You can fly 3000 or below or 8000 and above without clearance. You can always request airspace clearance from control, which can be approved or denied. Think of these airspaces as upside down pyramids.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Well the Class B, C and TRSAs are shaped like upside down wedding cakes, but D airspace goes down the surface.

As a general rule one should maintain at least 500' vertical separation from the airspace boundaries. This is to avoid traffic conflicts with with aircraft inside the more restrictive airspace.

Some airspace floors are prefixed with a + such as +05 on the south side of JFK's B (shown below). In this case it means that the airspace starts above 500' instead of including 500'. It is a sign that one can get closer to the airspace boundary usually to accommodate obstacle, terrain clearance or other reasons. It is generally good practice to be speaking to approach when in the vicinity of these busy airspaces as it's very easy to interfere with the traffic flow even when one is outside the airspace. It takes a lot of workload off of the controller when they know what the VFR traffic is doing near the traffic they are controlling.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.59302723457 ... 119&zoom=3
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Go to this website: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... tion/phak/. Download either Chapter 15 or the whole thing, then read Chapter 15. That should explain the whole deal about airspace.

Another way to go is open SkyVector somewhere in the USA. Select the actual Sectional Chart rather than "World VFR." Slide over to the left margin and zoom in. It's all there.

It's good to read that stuff and try to absorb it. I figure that long as I keep up with that s**t, I'm fulfilling my Academic License obligations with P3D.

Keep on rockin' in a free world
ATB

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Here in Europe for example we don‘t have (or use) A and B airspace, there are C and D around commercial airports though which in practise usually are avoided. I wouldn‘t request a flight through D except there would be a point to cross an airport but often you can do that in C. D are so small you can easily plan around or above them. C can be easy or a pain, often you‘re required to stick to an altitude and heading, sometimes they even want you to fly at a speed and get rid of you depending on traffic. At my local club we have C just south of the airfield from 3000ft and we avoid it like hell. C is also everywhere above FL100 and 130 above the Alps.

E is free for VFR but requires XPDR 7000 for engine driven VFR and is from 5000‘ AMSL or 3500‘ AGL. Below is usually G.

There used to be F at some small airports which became TMZ a couple of years ago. Squawk 7000 for all VFR.

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

You can see airspaces in 3d overlaying Google Earth.

Download your country of interest then drag the kmz onto Google Earth.

You need a good pc

https://3dairspace.org.uk/

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”