A2A and FS 2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Re: A2A and FS 2020

Post by cristi.neagu »

twsharp12 wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:09
cristi.neagu wrote: 24 May 2021, 19:22 Well, looks much better than P3D, with better framerates. Scenery is at worst comparable to ORBX scenery, and most of the times it's better. Airports are so and so, but much better than default P3D. The JustFlight Arrow III is not bad. The weather is a bit hit and miss for now, but sim update 4 is supposed to drop on the 25th (today or tomorrow, depending where you are) which is supposed to fix some of the issues, so hopefully live weather will be better.
I'm not a fan of when I take a month or so off, coming back to 60GB updates.
That's due to all the world updates. You are getting whole countries with improved content. Do you have the same opinion about the hundreds of gigabytes of ORBX content you have to download when reinstalling P3D?

Thomas Pritchard
Airman

Post by Thomas Pritchard »

[/quote]

That's due to all the world updates. You are getting whole countries with improved content. Do you have the same opinion about the hundreds of gigabytes of ORBX content you have to download when reinstalling P3D?
[/quote]

OMG, one of MSFS biggest critics actually defending it! :D

Honestly though, VFR and performance wise no other flight sim to date even comes close. I get 3x the frame rates as then next best performing sim on my system. Default scenery is easily comparable to payware scenery for other sims. To anyone picking up their first flight sim they would be foolish to choose anything else.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Thomas Pritchard wrote: 25 May 2021, 13:23 OMG, one of MSFS biggest critics actually defending it! :D

Honestly though, VFR and performance wise no other flight sim to date even comes close. I get 3x the frame rates as then next best performing sim on my system. Default scenery is easily comparable to payware scenery for other sims. To anyone picking up their first flight sim they would be foolish to choose anything else.
"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's"

There are a lot of things that FS2020 does very right. You mentioned a few of them. And while there are some things that it does very badly, I choose not to criticise those. Bugs can be fixed, shortcomings can be overcome. In fact, while I may be using examples of how the sim does things, I am not criticising the sim. I'm mostly criticising Microsobo. They have made some decisions I personally find quite strange, decisions which, in my opinion, stifle the third party developer community. And I have seen several such developers confirm my opinion.

This is probably not the right place to discuss this, so all I'll say is this: I believe and hope that FS2020 is the future of this hobby and that it will one day replace P3D and X-Plane. That is precisely why I care so much about it.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

There is a major update today that deals with a lot of issues. I have noticed a marked improvement to the rudder sensitivities (yaw) just for starters.
DH

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I set my VSync to 30FPS, get a constant 31 without any stutters. None, really. I have a 3-10 years old system depending on the components and I run at High and Ultra, only „grass and bushes“ and „trees“ are set to medium. If I set the VSync to 60 I get around 35-36 FPS and the VSync isn‘t as effective anymore. Sometimes a few short stutters. 30 is just purr-fect. Wonderful sim performance. In P3Dv5.1 I get stutters all the time, shorter than in 4.5 though and mostly low 20 FPS with visual settings that are still fun to fly plus Active Sky and ASCA.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 25 May 2021, 14:13 There is a major update today that deals with a lot of issues. I have noticed a marked improvement to the rudder sensitivities (yaw) just for starters.
DH
In the MSFS forum there are several people talking about vastly improved flight dynamics. Can‘t wait to try it out too.

axcyer
Airman Basic

Post by axcyer »

Just wanted to say that I can't wait either. Currently flying Carenado's Mooney Ovation because I wanted a somewhat modern and fast sixpack equipped single-engine prop airplane. It's nice and fun, but only on a very superficial level. Not gonna buy from them again. So I hope we'll be seeing a bunch of A2A releases later this year as the sim itself was already a bit of a let-down for me apart from the eye-candy (which I do appreciate a lot, mind you). It still feels shallow and hollow too often. And it's been 9 months since release, come on ... In the meantime I shall make the most out of those basic VFR experiences and probably check out JustFlight's Arrow ...

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

axcyer wrote: 25 May 2021, 14:23 Just wanted to say that I can't wait either. Currently flying Carenado's Mooney Ovation because I wanted a somewhat modern and fast sixpack equipped single-engine prop airplane. It's nice and fun, but only on a very superficial level. Not gonna buy from them again. So I hope we'll be seeing a bunch of A2A releases later this year as the sim itself was already a bit of a let-down for me apart from the eye-candy (which I do appreciate a lot, mind you). It still feels shallow and hollow too often. And it's been 9 months since release, come on ... In the meantime I shall make the most out of those basic VFR experiences and probably check out JustFlight's Arrow ...
I do recommend JustFlight's Arrow. If you enjoy steam gauges it's the only plane that makes flying enjoyable in FS2020 until we get the Comanche. It does have its share of issues, but it is at least pretty believable, which is not something I can say about Carenado's Mooney.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

cristi.neagu wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:29
twsharp12 wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:09
cristi.neagu wrote: 24 May 2021, 19:22 Well, looks much better than P3D, with better framerates. Scenery is at worst comparable to ORBX scenery, and most of the times it's better. Airports are so and so, but much better than default P3D. The JustFlight Arrow III is not bad. The weather is a bit hit and miss for now, but sim update 4 is supposed to drop on the 25th (today or tomorrow, depending where you are) which is supposed to fix some of the issues, so hopefully live weather will be better.
I'm not a fan of when I take a month or so off, coming back to 60GB updates.
That's fine, but when I have slow internet and very limited time to enjoy flight sim, it's a little irritating.

marez
Airman Basic

Post by marez »

cristi.neagu wrote: 25 May 2021, 14:10
Thomas Pritchard wrote: 25 May 2021, 13:23 OMG, one of MSFS biggest critics actually defending it! :D

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's"

There are a lot of things that FS2020 does very right. You mentioned a few of them. And while there are some things that it does very badly, I choose not to criticise those. Bugs can be fixed, shortcomings can be overcome. In fact, while I may be using examples of how the sim does things, I am not criticising the sim. I'm mostly criticising Microsobo. They have made some decisions I personally find quite strange, decisions which, in my opinion, stifle the third party developer community. And I have seen several such developers confirm my opinion.

This is probably not the right place to discuss this, so all I'll say is this: I believe and hope that FS2020 is the future of this hobby and that it will one day replace P3D and X-Plane. That is precisely why I care so much about it.
Why do you want that xplane and p3d to disappear? Do you think it is good for the industry that it is monopolized by a single brand? Don't you think that the market competition improves the products? The best thing that could happen to consumers is that both xplane and p3d reach the same level of graphics as msfs 2020 or even improve it.
You should hope that this is what happens and not that companies disappear and people are left without work. That would be very sad and detrimental to our hobby.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Well, you can start by quoting where i said i want either P3D or X-Plane to disappear. :)

marez
Airman Basic

Post by marez »

cristi.neagu wrote: 26 May 2021, 17:22 Well, you can start by quoting where i said i want either P3D or X-Plane to disappear. :)
"I believe and hope that FS2020 is the future of this hobby and that it will one day replace P3D and X-Plane."

This was written by you. It implies that you want only msfs 2020 to exist.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

That’s putting words in his mouth.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

marez wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:05
cristi.neagu wrote: 26 May 2021, 17:22 Well, you can start by quoting where i said i want either P3D or X-Plane to disappear. :)
"I believe and hope that FS2020 is the future of this hobby and that it will one day replace P3D and X-Plane."

This was written by you. It implies that you want only msfs 2020 to exist.
I agree with Oracle427. You're putting words in my mouth. "Replace" doesn't mean "destroy". In this context, i mean functional replacement, as in being able to do in FS2020 everything you can do in P3D and X-Plane.

No matter what FS2020 becomes, P3D, X-Plane, and eve FSX will still be used for quite a while. There's lots of people using FSX today, years and years after P3D became the de-facto market leader. People still buy addons for it. And considering the money some people have invested in P3D, even if FS2020 becomes everything we hoped for, P3D will still be going strong until 2025, at least. And then there's the tiny problem that you can't really destroy P3D with FS2020, since they have completely different user bases.

Lastly, if things keep going the way they are, FS2020 will not be able to replace P3D completely. There are still a number of things that need to happen until then.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Maybe call it measure up to P3D and XP and not replace them. Become equally worth the investments. Match the possibilities.

Although simply looking at MSFS the benefit is obvious to me: just turn on the lights. Anyone has the JPL C152 mod? Holy cow, sitting in it in VR with a beautiful freckled passenger is like reality. A2A’s AT-6 in P3D looks, sounds, feels great. But imagine it in MSFS...A2A do the rest. ^^

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”