A2A and FS 2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Re: A2A and FS 2020

Post by cristi.neagu »

Warbirds wrote: 09 May 2021, 07:02 As a working texture artist for a small developer I have to say Asobo is not making this transition easy, not easy at all. With every update things change. The flight model is really the hold up here and once you think you have it they change something. We have a few planes in the new sim but not really ready for prime time until Asobo gives a us solid, gone and done flight system and SDK.
This is why i think that their decision to not allow an external flight model makes no sense. You can't force developers to use your flight model and then not only supply them with a pretty shoddy model, but also break everything with your patches. FS2020 would have probably replaced P3D for many by now if they had only been more open towards third party developers rather than try and micromanage every single aspect of modding.

Luckily, some developers have found ways to inject their own flight model. I am very curious to see how A2A are tackling this issue.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

cristi.neagu wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:16 Luckily, some developers have found ways to inject their own flight model. I am very curious to see how A2A are tackling this issue.
The Bell 47 really makes me hope that it's not so difficult at all. It's an external helicopter model which was developed for the FlyInside simulator and has been adjusted and connected to MSFS. So it's possible and apparently not "forbidden".

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

MarcE wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:23 So it's possible and apparently not "forbidden".
Possible, yes (for now). Forbidden, most definitely. Asobo were pretty clear when they said during their SDK Q&A that they do not want third party developers replacing the flight model. It remains to be seen if they will patch the loopholes various developers are using (which would be an outrage, if you ask me), or they will turn a blind eye towards such practices because, after all, it is generating sales for them. Or, who knows, maybe they see the error of their ways and they start supporting it.

lknfly
Airman

Post by lknfly »

Hi guys!
Can't wait to enjoy the migration of A2A birds in MFS2020, which changed the FlightSim world as it was never done before! Still! It will be a game-changer in MFS2020!
I only fly the JustFlight PA28 which is maybe the best payware in MFS2020 so far but still far away from all the realistic features that A2A has in his heart! Can't wait for the big time good news!
Keep up the great work, you guys are magicians!
Thank you for the big joy you provide to us since years!

Thomas Pritchard
Airman

Post by Thomas Pritchard »

i have debated getting the Just Flight Arrow. Wish I had a vague idea when an A2A might drop. If we are talking weeks then am content to wait, however if we are talking months then I would get the Arrow as a holdover.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Thomas Pritchard wrote: 10 May 2021, 08:25 i have debated getting the Just Flight Arrow. Wish I had a vague idea when an A2A might drop. If we are talking weeks then am content to wait, however if we are talking months then I would get the Arrow as a holdover.
Yes, a timeframe would be nice. I did get the Arrow and I have been enjoying it, despite all the shortcomings both with the sim and with the plane. It did make me excited to see what A2A come up with. So... A2A... can we pretty please have an update? When should we expect a release? In the summer? Q3? 2022?

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Dudley Henriques said 2 or 3 weeks ago they would be able to release it right now but if they held it back they were able to release it as an "unbelievable" aircraft. So I hope this fine tuning won't take months anymore.. P3D has totally lost its thrill to me, I fly it now and then with the PMDGs and the Maddog but apart from that I only do as real as possible VFRs in MSFS now with the Arrow, the P149 and sometimes some locals with the CriCri.. all in VR ^^

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

MarcE wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:04 Dudley Henriques said 2 or 3 weeks ago they would be able to release it right now but if they held it back they were able to release it as an "unbelievable" aircraft. So I hope this fine tuning won't take months anymore..
He did say that. Trouble is that they're trying to tune something to A2A levels in a sim that has a nasty habit of breaking everything. Not to mention that it still has issues. Can A2A replicate the takeoff behaviour of a Comanche or an Aerostar when FS2020 will throw you off the runway sideways as soon as you get to 60kts? Will they be satisfied with saying "Yeah, we did our best, but FS2020 is buggy and we can't replicate every aspect of the plane as we wanted to, so we released it as good as it can be, waiting for sim updates"? Who knows? Maybe they don't even need to answer these questions. Maybe they bypassed the whole thing. Point is: if that fine tuning is waiting on certain sim bugs being solved... well, it's gonna take a while. Would be nice to know how long, though, as a very rough estimate.

lowflyr
Airman

Post by lowflyr »

I'm just as excited as anyone to get an A2A plane in MSFS (and the Comanche to start? That was my first A2A love!). But asking for a timeline, even a vague one, is probably a lost cause. Even if they thought it was going to be done by the end of the week, they are smart enough not to say anything because the moment they do and something goes wrong, we (the collective simmers) are up in arms about broken promises and ruined expectations. So they are going to (rightfully) keep us in the dark, and we will beg and plead but get nowhere until they are ready to announce. Can't blame them, we are a tough crowd to please.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

lowflyr wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:53 I'm just as excited as anyone to get an A2A plane in MSFS (and the Comanche to start? That was my first A2A love!). But asking for a timeline, even a vague one, is probably a lost cause. Even if they thought it was going to be done by the end of the week, they are smart enough not to say anything because the moment they do and something goes wrong, we (the collective simmers) are up in arms about broken promises and ruined expectations. So they are going to (rightfully) keep us in the dark, and we will beg and plead but get nowhere until they are ready to announce. Can't blame them, we are a tough crowd to please.
That may be the case with other developers, with other user bases. We here understand that doing what A2A does is not easy. If it were, everyone would be doing it, but there is only one A2A. So all of us would be more than understanding if delays were to appear. Dudley Henriques said that they could release it now, but they would rather wait and deliver the best plane they can. No one was upset about that. In fact, everyone was quite happy with that. PMDG have pushed back their timing on the NG3 several times. No one was upset about that either. So i think everyone here would be more than understanding about delays.

And you may say that "look at PMDG, they had to delay several times, so what use is there to announce a timing only to push it back?" But because PMDG gave us a time frame, now everyone knows that it's pretty unlikely to see the NG3 this year. Now people know that they don't need to worry about hardware or software upgrades for example, since they have plenty of time. And it would be nice to know if the Comanche is weeks, or months, or quarters, or years away, for the same reasons. Thomas is debating whether to get the Arrow now, or wait. I'm sure he would appreciate a timeframe, even if that timeframe was 2022. And so would I, to be honest.

Either way, it's up to A2A. Like i said above, all of us here know what it means to wait for a quality product. We've been waiting for a pretty long time now. I'm sure we can manage waiting a little while longer without issues.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Well, if we won't get an update from A2A by the end of this month, i think i'll have to pull the trigger and get P3Dv5. I hope it will give me better performance than v4. I enjoy FS2020, but the absolute lack of features is not only getting a bit boring, but also a bit frustrating. And i'm really starting to miss the Bonanza.

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

cristi.neagu wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:49 Well, if we won't get an update from A2A by the end of this month, i think i'll have to pull the trigger and get P3Dv5. I hope it will give me better performance than v4. I enjoy FS2020, but the absolute lack of features is not only getting a bit boring, but also a bit frustrating. And i'm really starting to miss the Bonanza.
The only thing holding me back from P3v5 is that I need to upgrade my GPU (8gb RAM at least), and right now the GPU market is broken or doped.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

avduarri wrote: 14 May 2021, 14:53
cristi.neagu wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:49 Well, if we won't get an update from A2A by the end of this month, i think i'll have to pull the trigger and get P3Dv5. I hope it will give me better performance than v4. I enjoy FS2020, but the absolute lack of features is not only getting a bit boring, but also a bit frustrating. And i'm really starting to miss the Bonanza.
The only thing holding me back from P3v5 is that I need to upgrade my GPU (8gb RAM at least), and right now the GPU market is broken or doped.
Guess i've been out of the P3D loop for a bit too long. Does v5 not work with less than 8gb of VRAM?

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Officially it should I think. But the crash reports often go hand in hand with a 6GB card. I have 11GB and no issues at all. I have the same problem though: I want a new PC but don‘t want to miss the 11GB VRAM. Right now that would mean to sell your soul though.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I bought my system components a year ago. I have an XFX Radeon 5700XT in a Ryzen system. It works really good for the kind of flying I generally do even though it runs hot. Flying mostly A2A aircraft in the western US. The card has 8 gb of vram. I rarely see it using more than 4gb. My main problem with P3Dv5 is the inland water looks awful. Nobody seems to know how to make it look better.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”