About to take the MSFS2020 plunge...maybe

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Masterius
Senior Airman

About to take the MSFS2020 plunge...maybe

Post by Masterius »

As it says; maybe. I really have, at the moment, just two burning questions:

1) Purchase it through MS or Steam? Which is better?

and, equally important:

2) How difficult will integrating any future MSFS2020-compatible A2A aircraft be with Steam?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: About to take the MSFS2020 plunge...maybe

Post by Skycat »

Steam users say Steam is better than Microsoft store. If unlocked folder vs locked is truly a consideration, I'll go with Steam.

On the other hand Microsoft is the better option if you want to play on both XBox and Windows 10. One purchase will get you both platforms.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

I have it through the MS Store, and have zero issues with installing payware mods or freeware mods and paint jobs. The file format take a little getting used to after using the old FS file structure for almost 30 years but, I simply made a shortcut to the Community folder on my desktop, and just drop the mods in and go. It's really a lot simpler than FSX in a lot of ways(for the users not so much for the developers). It doesn't matter whether you get it through Steam or MS Store as you will still have to create or use an existing hotmail, or live email account, so going through Steam just adds an extra layer of garbage you have to wade through. As for A2A integration that is not your concern really. That is all on A2A to make it work or not, though I do not doubt that it will work flawlessly when that day comes. All you'll have to do is download and install, just like their current line up.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Snoober
Airman

Post by Snoober »

I strongly prefer Steam over MS store. Steam has lots of features that a game "downloader/manager" really needs, such as throttle download speed, option to allow/disallow background downloads/easy way to add launch options. The list goes on .. whenever I have to use another game client (MS store/ubisoft/blizzard/etc.) I am always so dissapointed that they are so barebones in features. MS Store especially you have almost no control over what speed and when it downloads in the background. And the interface is terrible. Steam has nice compact lists that let you see a lot of info which is so much nicer for PC monitors.

I would strongly recommend Steam.

EDIT: I should add Steam in general has much better access to the game files than MS Store. Steam has a GUI button that takes you directly to local files (so for FSX steam edition it was easy to install mods). MS Store has that ?()^ so hard (some cases impossible) to access. For FS2020, though, both versions should be easy to install mods, as the way FS2020 works it is has one designated folder ("community folder" or something similarly named) that you throw mods into. So it's easy in either MS store or Steam.
FSX Aircraft:
  • Cessna 182 Skylane
  • Piper Comanche 250
  • Beechcraft Bonanza V-tail
  • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
  • North American P-51 Mustang
  • North American P-51 Civilian Mustang
  • Piper J-3 Cub

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I have got it through MS too and haven't had any problems either, not even a single CTD in over 300h or flying. But I have immediately deleted the airliners. However I have completely locked up folders. If I could choose again I'd probably go with steam too.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Steam user here, no issues. Tbh the launcher doesn't matter but I think its fair cop to say the Steam option is the most user friendly and easiest to manage with a unified interface for all your games in the stream library.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

I don’t have any direct experience with the Microsoft store version - just anecdotes from those who have. I got it through Steam and have had no issues with that purchase. The guys I fly with have had lots of issues with getting it through the Microsoft store, though. They have had to go to customer service to speak to humans because Microsoft forgot they bought one or the other premium package or that they bought it at all. One guy got so upset he just abandoned the copy he bought through Microsoft and bought it again on Steam. I wasn’t there or listening in as people had issues with the Microsoft store — It could be user error causing most of the problems. I don’t know. But I’ve heard lots of complaints about Microsoft’s store version and none about the Steam version/experience.

Both have some quirks due to how Asobo and Microsoft use a stub loader to check for updates and load the main program. Both seem to be able to be confused if you install in a non-standard location (like a separate hard drive - m.2 highly recommended) but that’s easily fixed with a single edit in a config file.

I don’t know if Microsoft does this but Steam also has awards and milestones for various accomplishments like flying in weather, certain distances, visiting various airports, etc.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I bought it through the store and have had zero issues, including several extra downloads of the program. ( Couldn't make up my mind between P3D and MSFS and I usually don't like having two sims on the same computer.) I realize you can do this but my experience has indicated controller issues involving mixed settings used for different purposes on different aircraft.
I've altered my position on this a bit. Presently I have both installed and running fine.
Most of the issues people have had with Microsoft are local issues. The main issue from what I have gleaned from the email I get each week about the sims concerns passwords. Microsoft is EXTREMELY focused in on correct user names and passwords and people who don't immediately record in writing their store credentials for reference then make even one mistake trying to re-enter the store can have issues.
My advice is to IMMEDIATELY as assigned write down the information needed for the store because if you screw it up the next time you go to the store you might be in for a REAL hassle getting things back to normal again.
I have no idea why things are this tight with Microsoft security but it is. Just keep excellent records for instant recall and use and you should be just fine with Microsoft.
Dudley Henriques

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I also bought it through the Microsoft store and have zero issues, other than a couple of self inflicted ones early on. I've owned it since a week after its release and it has always lived on a computer with P3D. It was initially on the same drive as v4.5, with v5 on a different drive, but since the new computer install in September, I've found v4.5 unnecessary, with v5 running so well. I've seen no issues, controls or otherwise with either installation and I've never had any dealing with the store.

Note that I only purchased the Standard Edition as none of the airplanes available in the upgrade packages interested me... and that the user's experience may vary... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Yep. Microsoft is pretty wound up about security but I think it’s finally implementing better practices. For decades - literally - Microsoft has been a security whipping boy because their approach to security has been so bad, so lax, and so slow. They have upped their game but I’d class their measures now as having a big dose of what is derisively known as “security theater”. It looks like security and gives people a warm fuzzy, but it really doesn’t help that much. It does help some, though. To me it seems more a way to upsell into various subscriptions and services. Steam just lets you use your Steam password, asks you to verify it occasionally, and lets you be. Obviously you want to use strong passwords and change them occasionally no matter how you go, but I’ve had to go one on one with Microsoft passwords when I had to rebuild Windows a month ago. PITA but I did get it sorted. Had to fly in FS2020 with a new moniker until I figured it out but I could still fly. Never had problems with Steam. But the Microsoft system is navigable if you are methodical and write it all down or save it some way.

Full disclosure - I am “one of those”. If I didn’t have to use Windows, or really anything Microsoft, I wouldn’t. Many have forgotten or are too new to remember the big anti-trust lawsuits, how they forced vendors to buy Windows, how they stole and used code to put competitors out of business, and how they even booby-trapped Windows so competitor application software (word processors and spreadsheets) would occasionally crash and cause system resets so users would switch to Microsoft products. Microsoft was built on ruthless and illegal monopolistic behaviors that stunted and derailed many innovations in computing. They even had states and countries taking them to court (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_litigation). When there is an alternative, I go with the alternative.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AerialShorts wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 09:07 I don’t have any direct experience with the Microsoft store version - just anecdotes from those who have. I got it through Steam and have had no issues with that purchase. The guys I fly with have had lots of issues with getting it through the Microsoft store, though. They have had to go to customer service to speak to humans because Microsoft forgot they bought one or the other premium package or that they bought it at all. One guy got so upset he just abandoned the copy he bought through Microsoft and bought it again on Steam. I wasn’t there or listening in as people had issues with the Microsoft store — It could be user error causing most of the problems. I don’t know. But I’ve heard lots of complaints about Microsoft’s store version and none about the Steam version/experience.

Both have some quirks due to how Asobo and Microsoft use a stub loader to check for updates and load the main program. Both seem to be able to be confused if you install in a non-standard location (like a separate hard drive - m.2 highly recommended) but that’s easily fixed with a single edit in a config file.

I don’t know if Microsoft does this but Steam also has awards and milestones for various accomplishments like flying in weather, certain distances, visiting various airports, etc.
Like many others here I've had years of experience with Microsoft and for me personally that even included several years as a Microsoft award winner (MVP, 2006 2007, Flight Simulator).
As a rule I try to avoid knocking them to others but I can truthfully say this much.
Microsoft's marketing approach with Windows absolutely amazes me. I believe they envision the average computer user as a total idiot who doesn't need to know anything about what goes on beneath the superficial level concerning the operating system. It's very simple actually. Just do what you're told to do by the company and don't ask any questions. If you do that and something goes wrong, don't call us. Just go online and research whatever Windows has done to you and try to find an answer there.
Right now for example I have Windows 10 updating on a 35 day (the maximum allowed) pause due to a corrupted features update that totally screwed up the sound in both P3Dv5 and MSFS 2020.
As I sit here I have no idea if Microsoft will "fix" things before my pause time runs out and I am forced by the company to redownload that specific update.
It's all just part of "living with Microsoft".
I'm like you. I use Microsoft because I have to to enjoy the flight sims. Other than that I have been a devout Apple customer now for years and use Macs exclusively for all my normal computer needs. The Macs are simple, beautiful, and efficient machines. I use Apple Care so if and when there is a problem I can call and have help available immediately. In my opinion, THIS is how to run a computer company. Their OS is intuitive. I can find and fix things when necessary and my computer life is comparatively hassle free.
I'm sure other opinions may vary but this is what has worked for me now for years.
Dudley Henriques

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 11:52 Like many others here I've had years of experience with Microsoft and for me personally that even included several years as a Microsoft award winner (MVP, 2006 2007, Flight Simulator).
As a rule I try to avoid knocking them to others but I can truthfully say this much.
Microsoft's marketing approach with Windows absolutely amazes me. I believe they envision the average computer user as a total idiot who doesn't need to know anything about what goes on beneath the superficial level concerning the operating system. It's very simple actually. Just do what you're told to do by the company and don't ask any questions. If you do that and something goes wrong, don't call us. Just go online and research whatever Windows has done to you and try to find an answer there.
Right now for example I have Windows 10 updating on a 35 day (the maximum allowed) pause due to a corrupted features update that totally screwed up the sound in both P3Dv5 and MSFS 2020.
As I sit here I have no idea if Microsoft will "fix" things before my pause time runs out and I am forced by the company to redownload that specific update.
It's all just part of "living with Microsoft".
AerialShorts wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 11:19 Yep. Microsoft is pretty wound up about security but I think it’s finally implementing better practices. For decades - literally - Microsoft has been a security whipping boy because their approach to security has been so bad, so lax, and so slow. They have upped their game but I’d class their measures now as having a big dose of what is derisively known as “security theater”. It looks like security and gives people a warm fuzzy, but it really doesn’t help that much. It does help some, though. To me it seems more a way to upsell into various subscriptions and services. Steam just lets you use your Steam password, asks you to verify it occasionally, and lets you be. Obviously you want to use strong passwords and change them occasionally no matter how you go, but I’ve had to go one on one with Microsoft passwords when I had to rebuild Windows a month ago. PITA but I did get it sorted. Had to fly in FS2020 with a new moniker until I figured it out but I could still fly. Never had problems with Steam. But the Microsoft system is navigable if you are methodical and write it all down or save it some way.

Full disclosure - I am “one of those”. If I didn’t have to use Windows, or really anything Microsoft, I wouldn’t. Many have forgotten or are too new to remember the big anti-trust lawsuits, how they forced vendors to buy Windows, how they stole and used code to put competitors out of business, and how they even booby-trapped Windows so competitor application software (word processors and spreadsheets) would occasionally crash and cause system resets so users would switch to Microsoft products. Microsoft was built on ruthless and illegal monopolistic behaviors that stunted and derailed many innovations in computing. They even had states and countries taking them to court (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_litigation). When there is an alternative, I go with the alternative.
Many years ago--early 80's, to be precise--I went to buy a hard drive to install in a unit I was building. I just needed a blank drive: no formatting, or anything. I had my MS-DOS diskette, and I was going to just perform a deep format and install DOS on it.

I couldn't.

Couldn't just buy a completely blank drive, that is.

I was told--by multiple stores, locations, etc.--that any drive I bought would have to come pre-installed with Windows. It didn't matter that I didn't want Windows, nor that I had any intention of ever using Windows. After a great deal of wheedling, I'd managed to coax out the reason why:

Microsoft required any store that sold computers, or computer equipment, to sign an exclusive contract with them. If all you wanted to do was sell just one computer pre-installed with Windows, from that moment on every computer, or computer drive, was contractually required to have Windows pre-installed.

I could go on for a lo-ooong while about Microsoft's blatant high-handedness, but you two have already managed to hit all the major points.

So it looks like I'll be going with Steam then. o7

Al "Chevalier"

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

OK...decided to take the plunge...starting to think this may have been a mistake.

I went through Steam. Multiple reasons, some of which I've mentioned. My DL speed, as verified by speedtest.net, is almost 300Mbps. I started "installing" MS2020 almost 6 hours ago, and it's only at 112.25 Gib out of 154.88Gib.

Seriously?

It looks like I'm going to be playing "Download and Update" more than the actual sim itself!

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

With my download speed it will take me at least three days to download. This I know because I recently installed Red Dead Redemption 2 -- which is a ton of fun BTW.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Masterius wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 22:11 OK...decided to take the plunge...starting to think this may have been a mistake.

I went through Steam. Multiple reasons, some of which I've mentioned. My DL speed, as verified by speedtest.net, is almost 300Mbps. I started "installing" MS2020 almost 6 hours ago, and it's only at 112.25 Gib out of 154.88Gib.

Seriously?

It looks like I'm going to be playing "Download and Update" more than the actual sim itself!
Yes installation and updates take literally ages. It downloads a bit, then unpacks and installs it, then downloads the next part.. I think they save storage that way but it‘s incredibly slow

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”