Suggestion: Persistence rollback feature

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Masterius
Senior Airman

Suggestion: Persistence rollback feature

Post by Masterius »

I love the persistence feature...usually. But there are times it frustrates me to the explosion point. For instance, take today: I was flying last night and had to shut down in mid flight due to a personal semi-emergency. Today, I create a new flight plan, load it up, and start the sim...to have my B-17 screech to a halt, wheels up, on the runway. :shock: All props destroyed, more red showing in the maintenance hanger than a strawberry field. :evil:

I wish there was a rollback feature to the persistence, for those instances where a stupid sim setup trashes out your aircraft. It wouldn't have to save more than one point backwards, just enough that if something happens that you've no way to predict or expect--like having it spawn your aircraft on a runway as if it were still in-flight--you don't lose all those hard-earned hours.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Suggestion: Persistence rollback feature

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I normally back up my :a2a: files before I start, so if my PC crashes I can restore my aircraft. I don't have many CTD, but I had enough to start doing this.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Masterius wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:04 I wish there was a rollback feature to the persistence, for those instances where a stupid sim setup trashes out your aircraft. (...)
This is actually a feature that was added with later generations of Accu-Sim Masterius, beginning with the Spit I believe. However, we don't plan to carry out an overhaul of the B-17 codebase at present, so manual backups, or using a utility to do this, as Tomas suggests is probably the best bet.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:53 I normally back up my :a2a: files before I start, so if my PC crashes I can restore my aircraft. I don't have many CTD, but I had enough to start doing this.
Which files, in particular, should be backed up? I know for FSX but not for P3D. In the past I've written a batch file that, in addition to sequentially loading everything from Teamspeak and JoinFS through the sim itself, it also backed up my LINDA files, FSUIPC4.ini, and the A2A files.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Masterius wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 14:15 Which files, in particular, should be backed up? I know for FSX but not for P3D. In the past I've written a batch file that, in addition to sequentially loading everything from Teamspeak and JoinFS through the sim itself, it also backed up my LINDA files, FSUIPC4.ini, and the A2A files.
I'm pretty sure all the files is in the \Documents\A2A\ folder, but I think it would be best to wait for the experts(Nick or Lewis) I use FSX SE, not P3D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Masterius wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 14:15 Which files, in particular, should be backed up? I know for FSX but not for P3D. In the past I've written a batch file that, in addition to sequentially loading everything from Teamspeak and JoinFS through the sim itself, it also backed up my LINDA files, FSUIPC4.ini, and the A2A files.
For the B-17 specifically, it's just "Documents\A2A\FSX\B17B17log.dat" whether the aircraft is installed in FSX or P3Dv4/v5.

The general idea is that the "Documents\A2A\FSX" directory is used to store the persistent state of all aircraft, with this folder being used by both FSX and P3D versions so that customers can swap back and forth between platforms while still being able to fly the 'same' aircraft.

In terms of Accu-Sim, the "Documents\A2A\P3D" folder is used only for storing the input configurator assignments.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

iefbr14
Airman First Class

Post by iefbr14 »

For all my A2A stuff, I've created this little script to create a special A2A backup using windows robocopy every day via windows taskplanner:

Code: Select all

@rem Differentielle A2A-Sicherungen
@set dt3=%DATE:~6,4%-%DATE:~3,2%-%DATE:~0,2%
@set dt3=%dt3: =0%
@echo %dt3%

d:
cd D:\Users\Andreas\Documents\A2A 
robocopy.exe  D:\Users\Andreas\Documents\A2A F:\Local-Backups\A2A-Backups\A2A_%dt3% /COPY:DAT /E /V /R:0 /W:0 /NP 

sleep 3
For the backup folder I've enabled the compression feature to save a little space, but these backups do not use much.
Hope this helps a little, or give some ideas :wink:

Andreas

EDIT: option /M removed

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Try this: When your B-17 is in primo shape, go into that C:\Users\YourName\Documents\A2A\FSX\B17 folder, make a copy of your B17log.dat, and name it something like B17log.bak. Then, if you should have another worst-case scenario, replace the log for the trashed airplane with the one for the fully functional airplane. You might lose a few hours on the airframe, but at least the airplane will be as it was when you last copied the log file.

That script posted just above my post looks interesting. Guess I should try to learn how scripts work on a PC.

Seeya
ATB

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

This is what I'm currently now using for backups:

@echo off
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('wmic OS Get localdatetime ^| find "."') do set dt=%%a
set YYYY=%dt:~0,4%
set MM=%dt:~4,2%
set DD=%dt:~6,2%
set HH=%dt:~8,2%
set Min=%dt:~10,2%
set Sec=%dt:~12,2%

set stamp=%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%_%HH%-%Min%-%Sec%

COPY "C:\Users\Corsair\Documents\A2A\FSX\B17\B17log.dat" "C:\Users\Corsair\Documents\A2A\FSX\B17\backups\B17log - %stamp%.dat"

COPY "C:\Prepare3D v5 Add-ons\FSUIPC6\FSUIPC6.ini" "C:\Prepare3D v5 Add-ons\FSUIPC6\backups\FSUIPC6.ini - %stamp%.dat"

It's in a batch file that I'll be running before loading up P3Dv5. As time passes, I'll be adding to that for the other A2A aircraft I have.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Paughco wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 21:53 That script posted just above my post looks interesting. Guess I should try to learn how scripts work on a PC.

Seeya
ATB
What you can do is this:
  • Create a .txt file, and call it something like aircraftbackup.txt
  • Copy the batch file script I've posted, and modify it for your situation (for instance, the correct drive letter(s), folder names, etc.)
  • Save the file once you've modified it
  • Rename it from aircraftbackup.txt to aircraftbackup.bat
Each time you click the bat file icon, it'll automatically run the backup program you've made.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

HEY! That worked like a champ!! I don't have FSUIPC6, so I left that line off, but the rest worked just fine! Thank you! The B-17 is the only A2A aircraft in my hangar that doesn't automatically make backup log files, so they're all set, but now I'll be ready in case anything catastrophic happens to my B-17. Like if a bunch of us get in a figure-8 race or something...

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”