75S A case study in what not to do and how not to do it!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

75S A case study in what not to do and how not to do it!

Post by Killratio »

This one really hit home with me and I am not ashamed to say that I was a bit "shaky" by the time it finished.

Night VFR in a single would never be my "thing". Night IMC? Well...

I'm not an instrument pilot, so I won't comment greatly but the case does, in my opinion, highlight 2 very old, very important truisms in aviation:

"Time to spare, go by air"

and

"The only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire."

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLlWf-Fk_YM&t=2s
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: 75S A case study in what not to do and how not to do it!

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 20:37 This one really hit home with me and I am not ashamed to say that I was a bit "shaky" by the time it finished.

Night VFR in a single would never be my "thing". Night IMC? Well...

I'm not an instrument pilot, so I won't comment greatly but the case does, in my opinion, highlight 2 very old, very important truisms in aviation:

"Time to spare, go by air"

and

"The only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire."
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLlWf-Fk_YM&t=2s
This one happened right in my back yard. There were enough mistakes on this flight to fill a large book. Very sad.
DH

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I couldn't agree more Dudley!

The saddest part of the whole thing is that even though he put 5.5 hours of fuel in for a 3.7 hour flight, just another quart would have saved his life!

DH2
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 21:32 I couldn't agree more Dudley!

The saddest part of the whole thing is that even though he put 5.5 hours of fuel in for a 3.7 hour flight, just another quart would have saved his life!

DH2
The problem with aircraft fatalities is that we don't make any new mistakes. We just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 22:02
The problem with aircraft fatalities is that we don't make any new mistakes. We just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
D

So true!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

In my opinion the lesson is that these mistakes are not only done as parts of chains of events leading into accidents, but daily and routinely. It does not turn a bad decision any better if one got away with it, as we all usually do with our daily bad decisions. All too often the best of case studies end up putting emphasis on the mistakes of the mishap crew instead of those who study the case being able to reflect the learnings on their own doing. These excellent re-enactments give a great opportunity to do just the latter.

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 10:35 In my opinion the lesson is that these mistakes are not only done as parts of chains of events leading into accidents, but daily and routinely. It does not turn a bad decision any better if one got away with it, as we all usually do with our daily bad decisions. All too often the best of case studies end up putting emphasis on the mistakes of the mishap crew instead of those who study the case being able to reflect the learnings on their own doing. These excellent re-enactments give a great opportunity to do just the latter.

-Esa
Aviation accidents in many cases are not the result of a single factor. Considering the human factor in many cases we are dealing with a normalization of deviance, where pilots early on in their active flying tenure slide into doing a thing in a certain way that is not safe then over time that trait slides even deeper and further toward the danger area until finally on a specific flight factors add and multitasking adds to produce a degrading of situational awareness to the point where all the factors present total into a short circuiting of the decision process.
This can spell "accident" in huge capital letters.
Back engineering accidents often leads us into the human factors element as mentioned above.
Of course going into aviation accident investigation we as well often run into the Dunning Kruger
factor.
On the very basic level, of course there is always the inevitable Occam's Razor explanation from the peanut gallery.

Dudley Henriques

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 10:59
AKar wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 10:35 In my opinion the lesson is that these mistakes are not only done as parts of chains of events leading into accidents, but daily and routinely. It does not turn a bad decision any better if one got away with it, as we all usually do with our daily bad decisions. All too often the best of case studies end up putting emphasis on the mistakes of the mishap crew instead of those who study the case being able to reflect the learnings on their own doing. These excellent re-enactments give a great opportunity to do just the latter.

-Esa
Aviation accidents in many cases are not the result of a single factor. Considering the human factor in many cases we are dealing with a normalization of deviance, where pilots early on in their active flying tenure slide into doing a thing in a certain way that is not safe then over time that trait slides even deeper and further toward the danger area until finally on a specific flight factors add and multitasking adds to produce a degrading of situational awareness to the point where all the factors present total into a short circuiting of the decision process.
Back engineering accidents often leads us into the human factors element as mentioned above.
Of course going into aviation accident investigation we as well often run into the Dunning Kruger
factor.
On the very basic level, of course there is always the inevitable Occam's Razor explanation from the peanut gallery.

Dudley Henriques
Yeah, in what comes to the normalization of deviance, this is something that the organizational safety people (I changed the word!) all too often get wrong. The systems in place get pedant over knowingly overridden safety measures (which are most often reported accordingly, and are in the backs of minds of people taking such compromises, resulting, arguably, even in elevated levels of safety). All while remaining completely blind on routinely ignored ones.

It is almost always the latter that cause real accidents in operations with well-developed safety culture. This usually has to do with some procedural written-in stuff not making sense operationally, and hence getting routinely ignored. This process reduces back to individual flying in ways like that it is fine to be a bit under planned final fuel figures all the time in routine conditions, because that's what the 'overheads' are for. And suddenly, when having a bad day, your initial position to deal with the problem is already compromised.

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 11:36
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 10:59

-Esa
factor.

Dudley Henriques
Yeah, in what comes to the normalization of deviance, this is something that the organizational safety people (I changed the word!) all too often get wrong. The systems in place get pedant over knowingly overridden safety measures (which are most often reported accordingly, and are in the backs of minds of people taking such compromises, resulting, arguably, even in elevated levels of safety). All while remaining completely blind on routinely ignored ones.

It is almost always the latter that cause real accidents in operations with well-developed safety culture. This usually has to do with some procedural written-in stuff not making sense operationally, and hence getting routinely ignored. This process reduces back to individual flying in ways like that it is fine to be a bit under planned final fuel figures all the time in routine conditions, because that's what the 'overheads' are for. And suddenly, when having a bad day, your initial position to deal with the problem is already compromised.

-Esa
One need look no further than the new ACS (Airman Certification Standard) to see how the organizational standard is set. The entire program is mired deeply in T's that have to be crossed and I's that need to be dotted. It's regimentation taken to the extreme. There is no room allowed for deductive reasoning on the local level.
It's for this exact reason my mantra to the flight instructors I lecture to is always to,
"TEACH BEYOND THE TEST"!
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”