Liking MSFS2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Liking MSFS2020

Post by Ron Attwood »

Al FR-153 wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 17:03

I think you are joking but that is the Frames Per Second.

On the other hand......The paint shop has been closed down until the 'staff' learns how to paint these new birds. I have tried a couple and they have not and will not be posted for others to even see. Enough said ?

Al
Frames Per Second. So that what it means! (yes I was joking)

My paint shop too. Although JanKees has got a handle on it. The swine! :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

mglan80
Airman

Post by mglan80 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 13:13
twsharp12 wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 12:41
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 12:38 Well, I gave hundreds of hours of dual in the 152 both primary and in the Bat so it's like old home week flying it in the sim. The 152 is a perfect replica in 2020 and is equipped for basic IFR including an ADF. I'll probably do some sightseeing over old and familiar territory and brush up on my approaches a bit at KILG where I was an instructor for many years.
DH
It is still funny to see a reference to ILG. I live not far from there. You mentioned on another thread your history here. I love it.

When I first loaded up MSFS and did the find my house thing I laughed out loud and giggled at the sight of Wilmington actually looking like Wilmington. Still blows me away what they’ve done with that sim. Much work still to do, but they’re doing it. Onward and upward.

EmoJim
Airman Basic

Post by EmoJim »

I have to chime in here as well. I have since in the last 3 months learned to fly the A320 Jet in MFS 2020 and i love flying it. But I do have to say this is the first time I've logged into A2A in like 5 months. Sorry Scott :-\ I do have to say I really miss you guys at A2A as i was flying most of his GA planes in FSX Steam for years. I do have to say A2A and Carenado were and still are my favorite plane companies out there and I do miss flying the Comanche 250, Piper 180, Cessna 172, Bonanza V25 and the Cessna 182. When I was using FSX, it would crash here and there at random times and was never able to fix the issues completely. This is why after 2020 came out, I decided to put FSX to rest from now on. But that being said, I pray to the good Lord every night that Scott and his team make it over to 2020 very soon. As I will buy the same planes that I bought for FSX in a heartbeat once this happens. So I was shocked to hear of the bad news of the Aerostar went down on it's belly. :-( But I am so glad that Scott and his son are ok. Thank you Lord. :-) But I'm sure things will be back to normal soon I'm sure. Scott, I hope to see you on 2020 very soon. God Bless.

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Several months ago I left P3D ver. 3.4 behind for ver. 5.1. I am seriously considering purchasing MSFS 2020 in the near future and have found all of the comments on this post very helpful. Right now what's holding me back from "pulling the trigger" in purchasing MSFS 2020 is the lack of my favorite addon aircraft such as A2A and other vendors as well as no GTN 750\650 which I really enjoy using especially on longer x-country flights. Guess my question is, how good is the default flight planner and in cockpit navigation equipment available in MSFS 2020?

Again thanks,

Ray

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by guenseli »

Hello Ray,

I would advice to look if there's a special 1€/$ MS Store action, where you can try out the MSFS for one month. or on the other hand, buy it, as you will swap in the future and now you can keep both sims.

Yes, there are currently no really good addon airplanes.
BUT: there are some mods which are freeware and really, really good. The best one is the Working Title Mod for the G1000/G3000 and especially the CJ4, which transforms the CJ4 "nearly" to sth. what you could expect from PMDG - or at least you wouldn't expect this from a standard airplane.

The standard airplanes are from the visual aspect very, very good.
From the systems deep: you can forget the big airliners, but the GA aircrafts are good - way better then what you are used from FSX/P3D.
In example, there are features built in, which where introduced several years ago from A2A: prop windmilling and restart in air, Stay on ground with brakes and lift up the tail when setting power and aileron. Stall etc is also very good (as far as I can say as I'm no pilot). But look above, what Dudley says about the 152.

So, no, we currently do not have the perfect 650/750s which have been developed over years for FSX/P3D. And is lacking good addon aircrafts.
But you can't compare FSX/P3D standard airplanes with MSFS standard airplanes any more.
And there's plenty of freeware for sceneries now.

Flight Planning:
STKP and LittleNavMap are very, very good! Inaddition with SimBrief this is a combination which I have used in P3D formerly also, so there's no difference.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi guys,

I would also like to chime in here. I finally bit the bullit (after almost 10years) and went ahead to buy a completely new PC. At first my plan was to get MSFS2020 and P3Dv5 so I could keep flying my beloved A2A planes. I flew exclusively with the A2A fleet on my FSX steam install.

Now after seeing the amazing graphics on MSFS2020 I’m not so sure I should go back and invest additional money in P3D or rather wait for A2A to come to MSFS2020...

I’ll miss my A2A planes dearly until that happens though.

Truly exciting times for a flight summer I have to say.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

No doubt, MSFS2020 is the best Landscape Simulator that has ever been created. Whether it will become a Flight Simulator is (only IMHO) strongly dependent on two factors: 1.) The availabilty of detailed ground installations (including airports) and 2.) the availability of reasonable aircraft. While there are quite a number of airports and cityscapes around (so far the number of installed airports in my MSFS is exceeding 350 and still counting), the downside is the availabiliy of reasonable aircraft.

My personal immersion factor is dependent on both detailed airports and aircraft. I would never land on a default airport unless circumstances require to do so. it's just a number of painted 3D boxes around a RWY system. When it comes to aircraft, things are becoming even worse. The default aircraft all are graphically perfect designed three-dimensional moving eyepoints. To make them behaving like an aircraft is another story. Apart from some low level scenery flight over known and unknown territory I mainly use Flight Simulation for point-to-point IFR flights under RW conditions. While some of the Garmin G1000/G3000 mods are increasing the immersion factor in each aircraft using such equipment, the handling and realism quality of most aircraft is - despite the mods - still considerably low. To name a few: KingAir, Cessna Logitude (incl mod), A320neo (incl mod) which are the kind of aircraft I use for longer range. The lack of a few professionally modeled aircraft is obvious.

Apart from IFR flying I also do quite some online sightseeing flights (at least once per week a full afternoon.. :D ) with a fried of mine, using the connectivity means of MSFS for formation flying and airport hopping. But even there my (personal) immersion drops immediaely to a low state as soon as I have to land on a generic airport of airfield...

So, obviously the need for immersion is quite different depending on the way of flying. For IFR, the landscape underneath becomes definitely less important than the detail level of the departing and landing airport. For low level VFR of course things are different. Nevertheless you will barely find your house, unless you have personally designed it as a 3D object in Bing maps. Generally the building details and sizes (as far as I can judge from my personal close environment) are not really on a useful level. There's a lot of space for improvement.

As I said at the beginning, this is only my personal judgement. Each Simmer may have a differnt look at things.... So, don't crucify me for not singing out all praises for MSFS ... at least not for the moment and not for the "F" part in it's name... :D
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

BostonJeremy77
Airman First Class

Post by BostonJeremy77 »

I gotta say, I keep both MSFS AND P3D v5.1... I came to P3D FROM MSFS (and then made my way to A2A)... I have since invested hundreds of dollars into P3D aircraft and scenery and I must say that the aircraft is what really makes it for me. Once A2A and the usual players in P3D come over, I will be happy, but for now, I enjoy MSFS doing VFR Bush Trips (lots of community-made ones) while for serious flying, P3D is BY FAR superior in my eyes - simply because the fidelity of available aircraft is much greater. I don't mind buying the same aircraft in MSFS once it's available, but I don't want to wait, so I am flying in P3D A LOT.
Regards,

Jeremy Smirnov, M.D.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I agree that the accuracy of the aircraft is a major part in the immersion. But if you compare default P3D or FSX with default MSFS2020 it’s certainly not worse maybe even better.

And if you look at what you need to invest into P3D to make it look nice and then compare what comes with MSFS 2020 by default it’s a completely different world.

Also I don’t think it’s quite fair to compare the availability of highly detailed airport scenery between the two since MSFS has only been on the marked for 5 months and the scenery development for P3D dates back to the early days of FSX. The developers will get there in time.

And so will A2A I hope rather sooner than later :)

As I said in my last post. Exciting times for a flight simmer...
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Piper_EEWL wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 03:29 I agree that the accuracy of the aircraft is a major part in the immersion. But if you compare default P3D or FSX with default MSFS2020 it’s certainly not worse maybe even better.

And if you look at what you need to invest into P3D to make it look nice and then compare what comes with MSFS 2020 by default it’s a completely different world.

Also I don’t think it’s quite fair to compare the availability of highly detailed airport scenery between the two since MSFS has only been on the marked for 5 months and the scenery development for P3D dates back to the early days of FSX. The developers will get there in time.

You put it a lot nicer than I almost did!
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ron Attwood wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 10:34 You put it a lot nicer than I almost did!
Bwahahahah!...timing is everything my friend! :wink: :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I've invested more into P3Dv5 than I intended. It was supposed to be an interim solution until I felt MSFS could be my main simulator. I think I'm ready to buy into MSFS though. I noticed there is now a custom scenery available for my local airport KGTF. That is the tipping point for me, though I was waiting for A2A aircraft. It looks like a good representation too, and a little more accurate than their FSX/P3D version which previously was the best version of KGTF I had ever found for a simulator.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ron Attwood wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 10:34
Piper_EEWL wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 03:29 I agree that the accuracy of the aircraft is a major part in the immersion. But if you compare default P3D or FSX with default MSFS2020 it’s certainly not worse maybe even better.

You put it a lot nicer than I almost did!
8) :lol: :lol:

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Oh boi, I've been holding off on MSFS2020 for now, but with a recommend like that, I just might have to pull the trigger. This 152 you have been flying, is it with the "realism mod" I've been hearing about? (This: https://simnews.co/2020/11/20/cessna-15 ... -for-msfs/). Been quite a while since I've flown a real 152, but back in the day I spent many happy hours in one.

30 fps has always been plenty for me. Maybe not HDTV smooth, but does it need to be?

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

ClipperLuna wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 15:29 Oh boi, I've been holding off on MSFS2020 for now, but with a recommend like that, I just might have to pull the trigger. This 152 you have been flying, is it with the "realism mod" I've been hearing about? (This: https://simnews.co/2020/11/20/cessna-15 ... -for-msfs/). Been quite a while since I've flown a real 152, but back in the day I spent many happy hours in one.

30 fps has always been plenty for me. Maybe not HDTV smooth, but does it need to be?
If/when you do pull the trigger (let's face it, resistance is futile ;-)), the mod linked at SimNews hasn't been updated in quite some time, but another modder has picked up that project and has been adding further improvements, see here: https://github.com/JPLogistics/MSFS_C152

HTH,
Tym

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”