Is it even worth it to build a new computer anymore?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Hobart Escin

Is it even worth it to build a new computer anymore?

Post by Hobart Escin »

Hello Folks,

I've been nursing an older desktop system based on a quad core Intel I5 running @4.2 ghz, along with 8gb DDR2 memory @1600mhz. I have a somewhat newer GTX 1650 video card with 4GB of memory. I've tried running P3D v5, but quickly encounter CTDs as a result of out of video memory errors (4GB just doesn't cut it with P3D v5). Right. I need to upgrade and I'm budgeting $1500-$2000 for a system overhaul.

HOWEVER, with the current market conditions, it's virtually impossible to purchase a decent video card from either Nvidia or AMD. Every retailer is constantly out of stock no matter where you look. If you can find a video card in stock, even older versions, prices have mostly tripled across the board. I'm really sick of even trying.

Is it ever worth making the effort to build a new computer with the current market situation??? Whatever system I do build, I'll have to settle for the video card bottlenecking newer CPU and memory. I'm thinking just give up and be happy with P3D v4 for a couple of more years instead of endless frustration. What do you guys think?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Is it even worth it to build a new computer anymore?

Post by AKar »

Yeh, I've been nursing mine as well, built around an i5 2500k I run at 4.6 GHz. 16 gigs of RAM, dating back to 2011. Please mind me not having the specs at hand. :) This does P3Dv5 perfectly if not pushing, even including heavier addons. But from what I gather any GPUs with less than 8 gigs of VRAM (I've got a GTX 1070 with precisely that) tend to be prone to issues. I wonder if you are able to get a card like mine with reasonable price where you're living?

-Esa

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

HI Esa,

Average price for a 1070 on Newegg is about $680 US dollars currently, lol. A used one might go for $500 if you look hard.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I bought mine in summer 850 bucks.
Ryzen 5, RX 580, 8 gigs, 2 hard drives
My bottleneck is ram. 70 bucks gets me 16 more.
Other than that it can run all current flightsims at max save MSFS 2020 likely middle slider.

Dan M
Airman

Post by Dan M »

I bought a new custom system about three years ago now, and had the same problem for a while when creating a parts list. It's true that some graphics cards can be hard to come by but it's not impossible. Prices are what they are though, and in the end it's a question of how much you want to be able to use the latest sims. I won't tell you how much I spent on a 1080ti back then but it was worth every penny.

Have you considered having a system built by one of the companies that do them specifically for flight sim? Jetline systems comes to mind. Or you could go with having a local computer shop build it instead of doing it yourself. I'm putting those options out there because a retailer is more likely to be able to get their hands on something and they will have the incentive of a bigger purchase (your new system).

Just remember that we're in a 64-bit world now and moving quickly toward DirectX 12. What you see these days as "ideal" or "recommended" in sim specs should really be your baseline for a new system. A good multi-core CPU is important, but having as much GPU horsepower as you can manage is critical. Of course that's assuming you want the flexibility of getting all the visual bells and whistles.
Dan M

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Yeah graphics cards are hard to find. Could maybe look at buying a pre-built desktop from Newegg or some other site. Seems to be the easier route than trying to hunt down hard-to-find components. Not sure I'd be convinced spending that much money if it's strictly for v5 or MSFS if you're happy with whatever sim you're on now.

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

I would say it is very much worth building a new system to cope with new simulator loads. It’s just hard to get parts right now to do it.

The CPU side isn’t too hard to get a strong performing system and new Intel CPUs are about to hit which could help availability of the last, but very powerful, generation. High speed RAM and a good CPU will still show a lot of benefit even if paired with an older video card. Certainly such a system will be held back by an old video card, but when you do get one, it’s a simple swap to do that upgrade and get a better matched system. The hard swap is the mobo. Might want to do that at your leisure so the video card is just a 5 minute job.

On the video card front, there’s lots of reasons to keep trying to get a card upgrade. There’s a number of new commands and capabilities built into the 20 and 30 series chips that the older chips don’t have. Plus, AMD graphics cards this new generation are supposed to also be very strong performers. Graphics cards should start getting easier to get soon as supply begins to catch up with demand.

FS2020 can look almost photorealistic with enough horsepower. It’s freaky in VR. A system up to the task is so rewarding for those who want to go there. Just my opinion, but beefing up the computer can give huge returns on enjoyment in the sim. I say definitely worth upgrading, even if mobo first and graphics later. You can always shift more load to the CPU in settings while you wait. Not perfect, but it should be a noticeable improvement for those still running older systems.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Got mine from Best Buy. Ryzen 5 3600 I heard was a good chip. I heard the RX 580 is a good GPU also. My only 8 gig of ram was the weakness but I reasoned ram is cheap and easy to install. My Ryzen can peak at 4.2. I have AMD tuning app. It only runs up to 65c at 4.2 peak.
I will see what a full 32 gig ofvram does.
It came Adata XPG Z1 at 3000 mhz. I will get that or possibly buy a full 32 gig of a different brand. I'm still researching.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Hobart Escin wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:12 HI Esa,

Average price for a 1070 on Newegg is about $680 US dollars currently, lol. A used one might go for $500 if you look hard.
:shock: I got mine back in 2017 at 519 eur from a local online store, 24 % VAT and mail delivery included!

I never though that PC hardware would be an investment that gains any long-term value. :mrgreen:

-Esa

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I only run FSX right now. All dressed up with UT NA and GEX and Active Sky. Still fin but I want to upgrade sim platforms eventually.

Jayteeaitch
Airman Basic

Post by Jayteeaitch »

Yesterday - I received a quote from my local supplier for a new PC that would be absolute top of the line and run MSFS at 4K in a blink
The cost $A 5999
My current is a Bitsa built and modified over the years and having just bought an 8Gig card - I can run DX 12 - P3DV5 quite comfortably -and V4 with my A2As
Come July this year Microsoft will bring out the X box version of the sim in DX 12 - suitably upgraded after all the $s we paid them for the chance to Beta test the sim since August
The X Box Series X meets what is needed to supply power to drive your huge x" TV - monitor @ 4K/120 and 8K/60 Hz - HDR10 - and plug in TB memory sticks
The Cost $A 750
A NO brainer in answer to the O.P.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I am sure many people will disagree but having the latest and best version of software causes lots of problems. I am running a older system I7-4770K Haswell O/C to 4Ghz, 8gis of ram and a GTX960 6gig GPU. I also fly with ORBX scenery. I have resisted the urge to update my P3D to the latest version as the older version I am running does just fine with my current machine. My P3d looks and runs great. So if you don't want to update to the latest hardware I suggest if it ain't broke don't fix it. Anyone who is involved in motorcycles knows how much faster your bike feels right after you bump up the HP a little but once you grow accustomed to it it doesn't seem faster any longer. In boating it is called twofootitus. :D

luvtofly
Airman First Class

Post by luvtofly »

hello
thought I would chim in on building a new computer. Seven years ago I built my first computer for flight simming, it was a i5 k, on a asus motherboard water cooled. The system has been Ok but it just wasn't fast enough for the new platforms out there. So Monday I ordered a asus prime 390 a motherboard an i7 9900 K and 16 gigs of ram. I would like to add a new gpu, but I just bought a 1660 super 6 gig, back in june. With my old system I think it is worth it, it will be my last build because I am 77 years young :D

luvtofly,

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

tl:dr supply lines are still in pandemic affected mode so no matter what thats the underlying issue with supply verses demand atm. Given time it'll sort itself out as things slowly but surely start to come back online. For those that want it now they are currently pay a premium, for those that can wait, just wait, itll save you cash in the long run.

Cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”