P3Dv5 too dark? I found a Solution

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
ste55
Airman

P3Dv5 too dark? I found a Solution

Post by ste55 »

Hi there,

I don't seem to be the first to find the P3Dv5 very dark. Especially in some aircrafts it makes the cockpit
very dark, as for example in the Constellation.

In Prepar3D.cfg I found in the [GRAPHICS] section the two entries that control the lighting:

Default values:
MAX_EXPOSURE=2.000000
MIN_EXPOSURE=0.500000

MAX_EXPOSURE controls how much light is in the environment, so how bright it is.
MIN_EXPOSURE controls how dark unlit areas get, so how dark it can get. (0.5 seems way too low)

I adjusted these values and my v5 looks almost the same as v4 did before. In any case the cockpits are now much brighter
(in other words, they don't get as dark now).

Before you change the values, make a copy of your Prepar3D.cfg. This way you can easily reset them.

My custom values:
MAX_EXPOSURE=3.000000
MIN_EXPOSURE=2.500000

These values make the scene brighter (MAX_EXPOSURE) and prevent it from becoming too dark (MIN_EXPOSURE).

Best regards,

Ste55

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Re: P3Dv5 too dark? I found a Solution

Post by curtis72561 »

Thanks for the tip. This helped me in another area I was having an issue. The under carriage on some aircraft was to dark in the shadows. I could hardly see the gear or wheels. It looks a lot better now. Thanks.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Just implemented this "fix". So far, seems to be good on my end!

Thanks!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just want to gently bump this as some do find this a royal pain in the backside on the V5 platform 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Can someone please post the exact path to access the cfg file for P3D? I have tried searching everything Lockheed Martin P3D v5 on my system on my hard drive and can't locate the GRAPHICS file OR the cfg file. I know there HAS to be a cfg file but where exactly is it located.
I'd like to try the changes suggested to make the program a bit brighter. The cockpits in our A2A aircraft are too dark and show in too high a contrast for my personal taste.
Thanks much,
Dudley Henriques

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Dudley,

The Prepar3D.cfg can be found in "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5". By default this is a hidden folder, so you may need to set Windows to show hidden folders.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 21:04 Hello Dudley,

The Prepar3D.cfg can be found in "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5". By default this is a hidden folder, so you may need to set Windows to show hidden folders.

Cheers,
Nick
Ah HA ! I thought I was going nuts. LOL
Thanks Nick. Did you try the suggested fix? I'd sure like to bring that contrast back down a bit; sort of like the value we had in FSX...
D

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Must admit I haven't tried this tweak yet Dudley, though I probably should as I find the contrast in v5 to be a bit excessive too.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 21:13 Must admit I haven't tried this tweak yet Dudley, though I probably should as I find the contrast in v5 to be a bit excessive too.

Cheers,
Nick
I'll let you know here what I find.
D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I made the change. (I'm assuming the change made in the text file changes the cfg file that can't be opened above it?)

The change isn't stark. It's subtle at best, but it does seem to look a bit less dark to my eye. Worth a look. I left it changed and will fly a bit with it this way.
D

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I am curious about whether the changes anyone's seeing with the .cfg edits are any different than the solution I've always used, which is just adjusting the Brightness and Saturation levels in the Lighting menu...?? If so, in what way do the edits make v5 look better than the much simpler process of just tweaking the settings? :? Just asking 'cause mine looks fine and I'm not going to do it any differently unless there's a really good reason.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 22:35 I am curious about whether the changes anyone's seeing with the .cfg edits are any different than the solution I've always used, which is just adjusting the Brightness and Saturation levels in the Lighting menu...?? If so, in what way do the edits make v5 look better than the much simpler process of just tweaking the settings? :? Just asking 'cause mine looks fine and I'm not going to do it any differently unless there's a really good reason.

Cheers,
Rob
I haven't tried the settings so can't say accurately. I don't notice all that much difference with what I changed in the cfg file. I'd say if you like what you did in the settings you should be fine.
D

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 22:40
MkIV Hvd wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 22:35 I am curious about whether the changes anyone's seeing with the .cfg edits are any different than the solution I've always used, which is just adjusting the Brightness and Saturation levels in the Lighting menu...?? If so, in what way do the edits make v5 look better than the much simpler process of just tweaking the settings? :? Just asking 'cause mine looks fine and I'm not going to do it any differently unless there's a really good reason.

Cheers,
Rob
I haven't tried the settings so can't say accurately. I don't notice all that much difference with what I changed in the cfg file. I'd say if you like what you did in the settings you should be fine.
D
Thanks Dudley, but if you haven’t tried the settings before editing the config I’m wondering if others are in the same boat or doing the editing to fix an issue they can’t solve with settings. Still confused and curious because although v5 has been dark since released, I have it looking pretty much like v4 without any editing... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 23:34
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 22:40

Cheers,
Rob
D
Thanks Dudley, but if you haven’t tried the settings before editing the config I’m wondering if others are in the same boat or doing the editing to fix an issue they can’t solve with settings. Still confused and curious because although v5 has been dark since released, I have it looking pretty much like v4 without any editing... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Can you advise me as to exactly what you changed in the settings? I'll change back the cfg file and try the settings you suggest.
D

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 23:43 Can you advise me as to exactly what you changed in the settings? I'll change back the cfg file and try the settings you suggest.
D
I've adjusted them a few times depending on whether or not I'm running EA, which darkens it up and I've found v5.1HF1 to be much lighter than the first install of v5. Coincidentally I still have my first, un-updated version on this computer and here's a shot of what I came up with as an initial solution. It's the Brightness and Saturation settings that should do it for you.

I think I'm currently running v5.1HF1 with the Brightness at 1.10 and the Saturation around .95, but the beauty of it is that it just adjusts the picture like the brightness and contrast settings on a TV. It's not like scenery setting adjustments where you have to reload the scenario after changing, so you can load a scenario and and play with it live until you get it to look the way you like.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”