Question on controllers for someone using FS2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Question on controllers for someone using FS2020

Post by DHenriques_ »

Got a question;

In MSFS2020, can you set up the view hat switch on your controller to pan horizontally the way you can use the hat in FSX?
Reason I need to know is that I find using the mouse to move around the cockpit and view outside the aircraft an immersion negative. It also requires moving the hand to the mouse to check position in relation to the runway during a landing. I liked having a hat assigned to pan in FSX. I'd just need the horizontal pans to each side but can't seem to be able to find a way to do this in 2020.
Can it be done, and if so, can you give me a path to accomplish it?
Thanks much,
Dudley Henriques

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Question on controllers for someone using FS2020

Post by MarcE »

Hey Dudley,

yes you can, have a look here at the MSFS forum. I haven't tried it myself as I use TrackIR but at least it's a "how to".. Sry, that guy is horrible to listen to, unprepared for what to do and terrible sound recording but at least it will get you where you want.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ho ... 020/265337

keep in mind that you have to actually delete any previous bindings manually, it won't do it for you as it does in FSX and P3D.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MarcE wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 21:52 Hey Dudley,

yes you can, have a look here at the MSFS forum. I haven't tried it myself as I use TrackIR but at least it's a "how to".. Sry, that guy is horrible to listen to, unprepared for what to do and terrible sound recording but at least it will get you where you want.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ho ... 020/265337

keep in mind that you have to actually delete any previous bindings manually, it won't do it for you as it does in FSX and P3D.
Thanks. I'll play with this and see what develops. :-)
D

Snoober
Airman

Post by Snoober »

By default, up and down on the hat switch cycles views (control binding is called "next pilot position" and "prev pilot position"). It cycles between instrument view/ifr view/vfr view/landing view. Right and left hat switch are quick view left/right.

I also wanted to change my hat switch to freelook and I found cycling between 4 views too confusing. So to do that change the hat switch positions to "cockpit look up/down/etc" (not lockable). I stay in vfr view (but do have a keyboard button I could use if I ever changed to ifr/landing view...which I never do).

However, I find the instrument view to be really useful, so if you have other binds (for me another hat switch on my throttle quadrant) you could try what I do and bind one (for me "down") to "toggle instrument view 1". Then you can bind left and right on your original hat switch to next/prev instrument view and it will only cycle instrument views while in instrument view mode, so it can still be used to freelook otherwise. I also bound my throttle hat switch "up" to external view toggle and I can freelook the same way (set all your external view freelook binds). (I then have zoom in/zoom out to forward and back on that throttle quandrant hat switch, so all my view controls are between two hat switches which is pretty intuitive).

Lastly, if by pan you mean translate there are "translate cockpit view left/right" controls, and "increase/decrease view height" controls.
FSX Aircraft:
  • Cessna 182 Skylane
  • Piper Comanche 250
  • Beechcraft Bonanza V-tail
  • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
  • North American P-51 Mustang
  • North American P-51 Civilian Mustang
  • Piper J-3 Cub

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

I use "translate cockpit view" left/right to pan left/right. And "decrease/increase cockpit height" to pan up/down

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

What I would like to do ideally is to be able to use the hat switch on the Warthog to pan left and pan right for looking outside during landing approaches.
For example before the base to final turn for turn accuracy and position.
I would also like to be able to assign a toggle switch on the Hog to snap back quickly to a center over the panel view for the landing.
I had this capability in FSX and it worked fine. Trying to replicate the above for use in 2020.
Dudley Henriques

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

How'd you get on Dudley, when not in VR it is a little annoying for me also that the pan hat on joysticks isnt used for panning in 2020 unlike every other flight, race and space sim on the market lol :roll: :roll:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 17:53 How'd you get on Dudley, when not in VR it is a little annoying for me also that the pan hat on joysticks isnt used for panning in 2020 unlike every other flight, race and space sim on the market lol :roll: :roll:

cheers,
Lewis
You can actually map it that way if you wish. I use the Logitech Saitek X56 Rhino(the blue one) and the head movement switch is actually mapped to the mini stick on the the flight stick and is right under my right thumb. This is loads better than using the hat switches on the top of the stick. Pressing in on the mini stick also re-centers my view back to the front. I have found this to be much more comfortable as it is an analog axis, and not a digital button like the hat switches. Though I do have a Trak-IR enroute to see if this helps with MSFS and DCS. If not, I'll wait for another month bite the bullet and get a VR headset.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 17:53 How'd you get on Dudley, when not in VR it is a little annoying for me also that the pan hat on joysticks isnt used for panning in 2020 unlike every other flight, race and space sim on the market lol :roll: :roll:

cheers,
Lewis
Hi Lewis;

I decided to hold off on 2020 for a while yet. After much thought I decided that using default airplanes in 2020 as compared to having my A2A planes available to me in P3Dv5 was simply a bridge to far for 2020. I paid for the Microsoft sim so I can download it again and install it as we (A2A) come on board with our planes.
I made P3Dv5 a much better sim by adding the Orbx Global, Vector, and NA Landclass so I'm content for a while at least.
D

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ImpendingJoker wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 18:30
You can actually map it that way if you wish. I use the Logitech Saitek X56 Rhino(the blue one) and the head movement switch is actually mapped to the mini stick on the the flight stick and is right under my right thumb. This is loads better than using the hat switches on the top of the stick. Pressing in on the mini stick also re-centers my view back to the front. I have found this to be much more comfortable as it is an analog axis, and not a digital button like the hat switches. Though I do have a Trak-IR enroute to see if this helps with MSFS and DCS. If not, I'll wait for another month bite the bullet and get a VR headset.
Thanks Paul, just wish it was this way as default like all the others lol.

I've got VR for 2020 and its a tad special for sure and does negate any movement keys aye. I do believe I am a little lucky for 2020 VBR though as it does seem to read a bit 50/50 with how you might get on. Performance isn't the best but for a civvy sim that's just fine as the motion itself is fine. I just made sure for my Index to get the XR app in windows 10, run the Beta branch of Steam VR and then when prompted by SteamVR to set it as the default XR software on the PC. Been happily doing 152 circuits at the local since then (By default the sim for VR set itself to mostly LOW settings and some medium but I couldn't tell without going to options to see how it was lol), VR making some crazy greases nice and easy when I can 'feel' how high I am in 3d space 8)

thanks,
Lewis

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 20:05
Hi Lewis;

I decided to hold off on 2020 for a while yet. After much thought I decided that using default airplanes in 2020 as compared to having my A2A planes available to me in P3Dv5 was simply a bridge to far for 2020. I paid for the Microsoft sim so I can download it again and install it as we (A2A) come on board with our planes.
I made P3Dv5 a much better sim by adding the Orbx Global, Vector, and NA Landclass so I'm content for a while at least.
D
Fingers crossed that time is barrelling towards us at an ever increasing rate 8)

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 12:34
ImpendingJoker wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 18:30
Thanks Paul, just wish it was this way as default like all the others lol.

I've got VR for 2020 and its a tad special for sure and does negate any movement keys aye. I do believe I am a little lucky for 2020 VBR though as it does seem to read a bit 50/50 with how you might get on. Performance isn't the best but for a civvy sim that's just fine as the motion itself is fine. I just made sure for my Index to get the XR app in windows 10, run the Beta branch of Steam VR and then when prompted by SteamVR to set it as the default XR software on the PC. Been happily doing 152 circuits at the local since then (By default the sim for VR set itself to mostly LOW settings and some medium but I couldn't tell without going to options to see how it was lol), VR making some crazy greases nice and easy when I can 'feel' how high I am in 3d space 8)

thanks,
Lewis
Well I did finally get my TrackIR v5 from Amazon the other day and tried it out in all my flying games. I found that it did make a world of difference in MSFS and even in DCS especially in the helicopters. I tried it in IL-2 Forgotten Battles and this is where I felt it was a little lacking, though it was still way better than using the hat switch on the stick. For at least a few years, I think that TrackIR will satisfy my needs splendidly. The price of VR is coming down for sure and will be more accessible in the years to come but, my biggest need is a new system. I looked at parts and prices and rebuilding my current system versus buying a pre-built system(e.g. Jetline systems, Alienware) it is actually cheaper to buy new than to rebuild mine to the latest standard.

Current System(built in 2015 upgraded in 2018)
i5 6600K Skylake 3.3Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z170M
Nvidia 1050Ti4GB
1TB HDD(older than the original build came from another system built in 2007)
G.SKILL Aegis 24Gb

It is easy to see that this system is barely even "low end" now, though it was pretty good when I built it originally but, suffice to say, it needs a complete overhaul and that can only be done by building a new rig from scratch.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Aye your system would certainly need an overhaul for VR for sure.

Remember though trackIR is nothing like VR, its like comparing an Apple to a F4U Corsair. One is a small fruit the other a highly technical 40's carrier borne combat fighter aircraft, very different :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But having said that I would recommend trackIR (Or alternates) over nothing for head view alone. I flew il-2 the other day on pancake and forgot how annoying it can be to not just be able to look around and having to rely on mouse look or pan switches etc. Not an issue with civvu sims I find but for combat platforms a real PITA for sure. Hope you enjoy the TrackIR, should serve you well for as long as needed, my old trackIR Pro I think is still technically working despite being maybe a decade or more old now lol :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”