A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cessna lover

Re: A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

Post by cessna lover »

AKar wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 06:40
cessna lover wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 06:16
Swagger897 wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 18:59

Even if they look good, they should be overhauled. The engines on the other hand have to be overhauled. I don't know what the engine times were till TBO but, if the next buyer were to see that a major airframe repair was done, along with two overhauled engines, but no logs of the props being overhauled... some serious questions would be raised if they're even still considering to purchase.

Owning a twin is a costly endeavor. Restoring one is a nightmare. The only thing that makes someone feel better is money and the love of their passions. If Scott and the plane were near to me I'd love to help R&R those engines and props, but my passion for airframe work is next to non-existent :D
he didn't mention anything about a manual gear extension. does the Aerostar not have a back up system for the landing gear? that's not good.
As far as I gather, the system is supposed to be "fail safe" in that it should fall down on its own in case the hydraulics that keep it up fail. From the story it appears that something (perhaps a broken assist spring hindering the extension of the cylinder, I don't know) was mechanically holding a leg from lowering, an issue that probably would have prevented any backup gear extension from saving the day.

Most backup gear extensions ("gravity drops") basically simply release the mechanical uplocks, which the Aerostar has none.

-Esa
oh ok thank you.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Wow I was distracted by other things and overlooked this post and after all this time too.
I am so glad that you all are all right.
Fortunately you had a good trained co-Pilot by your side.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Just officially completed the insurance claim on the Aerostar. It will be bought by an Aerostar parts supplier and, at the very least, the interior will be gutted if this airframe is to ever fly again. There is a 2" thick spinal chord like mass of electrical cabling that goes along the right side, from the rear to the front. My guess is at least 1/2 the wires in this chord end up nowhere behind the panel from years of avionics being replaced. Gutting the interior, panel, etc. and re-wiring the airplane was something I knew had to happen at some point but now I'm placing this as a requirement from wherever this airplane ends up. So it may end up being completely restored or may end up being parted out.

Needless to say we won't be flying the Aerostar anymore but the good news is, for Accu-Sim, we have most all we need to simulate it. And if I ever need more data there are Aerostar owners that would allow us to test using their airplane.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be flying the Aerostar anymore, it was easy to see from your videos how much you enjoyed to fly it. You are both safe, that was the most important.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Scott - A2A wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 13:51 Just officially completed the insurance claim on the Aerostar. It will be bought by an Aerostar parts supplier and, at the very least, the interior will be gutted if this airframe is to ever fly again. There is a 2" thick spinal chord like mass of electrical cabling that goes along the right side, from the rear to the front. My guess is at least 1/2 the wires in this chord end up nowhere behind the panel from years of avionics being replaced. Gutting the interior, panel, etc. and re-wiring the airplane was something I knew had to happen at some point but now I'm placing this as a requirement from wherever this airplane ends up. So it may end up being completely restored or may end up being parted out.

Needless to say we won't be flying the Aerostar anymore but the good news is, for Accu-Sim, we have most all we need to simulate it. And if I ever need more data there are Aerostar owners that would allow us to test using their airplane.

Scott
:cry: sorry to hear that. from the videos she was a joy to fly. may she R.I.P :cry: at least you and yours are safe. after something like this happened to you are you returning to the sky or are you done flying??

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

cessna lover wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 06:56
Scott - A2A wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 13:51 Just officially completed the insurance claim on the Aerostar. It will be bought by an Aerostar parts supplier and, at the very least, the interior will be gutted if this airframe is to ever fly again. There is a 2" thick spinal chord like mass of electrical cabling that goes along the right side, from the rear to the front. My guess is at least 1/2 the wires in this chord end up nowhere behind the panel from years of avionics being replaced. Gutting the interior, panel, etc. and re-wiring the airplane was something I knew had to happen at some point but now I'm placing this as a requirement from wherever this airplane ends up. So it may end up being completely restored or may end up being parted out.

Scott
:cry: sorry to hear that. from the videos she was a joy to fly. may she R.I.P :cry: at least you and yours are safe. after something like this happened to you are you returning to the sky or are you done flying??
Pilots will fly ;)

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

MarcE wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 15:31

Scott
Pilots will fly ;)
right but i was just wondering if after something like what scott and his son went through if he would return to the sky? that was probably scary as you know what i know it's not the same thing but i lived an 18 wheeler accident about 18 years ago and i did not want to get into another semi :!:

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

cessna lover wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 06:26 right but i was just wondering if after something like what scott and his son went through if he would return to the sky? that was probably scary as you know...
As long as the gear stayed up I wasn't scared about a belly landing because from what I was thinking, there was no way any fuel tanks or lines would be compromised by landing on the belly. However I would have been unhappy, scared, etc. if the front and right gear came down just before landing. We could have never gotten rid of all the fuel and fumes from the wing tanks and even if we opted to land on the grass, there are still rocks and sparks present as that wing and fuel tank would be coming apart from scraping on the ground.

However looking back there was one thing I didn't consider until after, and that was if we did have a hydraulic leak anywhere inside the fuselage, the oil would have ended up pooled on the belly. If this was the case, that fluid would have definitely caught fire as the belly aluminum was red hot from friction.

I have the parts guy coming out to remove the wings, pick the plane up and truck it back to Florida. After we release the new Comanche we will then turn our sights back onto the beautiful Aerostar and demonstrate all the things that makes it the marvel that it is.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

cessna lover wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 06:26
MarcE wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 15:31

Pilots will fly ;)
right but i was just wondering if after something like what scott and his son went through if he would return to the sky? that was probably scary as you know what i know it's not the same thing but i lived an 18 wheeler accident about 18 years ago and i did not want to get into another semi :!:
Yeah I somehow know that feeling. As a 16 years old student pilot I stalled the ASK13 out of maybe 10m into a bush. I underestimated the head wind and came in too low/long or turned base too late. I noticed I wouldn‘t make it to the grass runway and lacking experience I did what I would obviously had known NOT to do if I would have been asked on the ground.. I pulled the nose up to make the bush in front of the runway. The T was maybe 15 or 20m behind that bush. I completely forgot that of course I would lose speed and stalled. That bush caught the plane, the linen wings had some very small holes and I had a slight shock but apart from that nothing serious happened. The airplane was checked and I went to see a doctor, I was a minor after all, but 3 weeks later I was back in the K13 and flew again.

If something like that happens, a plane crash, a bike accident, etc, you have to get back as soon as possible or you will develop anxieties for the same thing happen again and will lose trust in yourself.

I AM a burnt child now, I totally avoid situations where I have to clear tree lines, buildings or bushes on final relying on single engine power where I wouldn‘t be able to make them if the engine quits. The awareness of these things has grown a lot after that accident/incident compared to sone other people I know. If there are obstacles I fly every short final in idle so I am at a safe altitude to be able to dive behind that obstacle building speed to pull over it eventually. And I simply don‘t fly into places where this wouldn‘t be possible. In my opinion I have made a mistake when I need power to reach the runway.

I think Scott and Jake will have similar feelings in the future relating to their recent experience and they will keep these things in mind even more when they plan or prepare a flight. This would be just natural. But growing fears and therefore staying on the ground to be safe would be -in my opinion- the wrong way.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Well Done !

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Scott - A2A wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 07:43 After we release the new Comanche

Scott
New Comanche??
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 11:20
Scott - A2A wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 07:43 After we release the new Comanche

Scott
New Comanche??
yeah what he said what new Comanche? I'm still flying the old one :lol:

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

Scott - A2A wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 07:43 After we release the new Comanche we will then turn our sights back onto the beautiful Aerostar and demonstrate all the things that makes it the marvel that it is.

Scott
I am so sorry this has happened to you two airplane lovers! But I am also so glad you're both okay! I'm also curious what the "new Comanche" is :D

pilot37
Senior Airman

Post by pilot37 »

Curious +1 or is it 2 now?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The NEW comanche , can mean a re-mastered comnche for 2020 , or a TWIN comanche for p3d/2020 , that will get some heads scratching .
regards Alan. 8) :lol:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”