A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Re: A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

Post by wblackret »

Scott, glad you and Jake are ok.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

AKar wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 09:22 Damn, that year did not go without fighting to the end it seems.

The main thing is that you guys are alright, and I hope the damage was relatively minimal as well. Were you lucky enough to avoid props hit the ground entirely?

-Esa
No, we feathered on short final and while the props were stopped, one tip on each engine made contact.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 09:22 Damn, that year did not go without fighting to the end it seems.

The main thing is that you guys are alright, and I hope the damage was relatively minimal as well. Were you lucky enough to avoid props hit the ground entirely?

-Esa
Scott and I were on the phone for an hour discussing what happened.
In my opinion the two of them couldn't have done a better job of handling the situation. Back engineering the incident they basically did what a loose interpretation of an axiom put together by the Greek poet Archilochus would have said as he postulated on change; that being that in an emergency situation a pilot "never rises to the occasion". A pilot descends down to the level of their most recent training".
The guys did a first rate job. They zipped through the startle factor, settled in to a coordinated approach to handling the problem, analyzed the situation, called in some outside expert Aerostar assistance, and generally worked the issue as a well oiled team with the result being a lightly damaged aircraft and two good men walking away from it all in one piece.

There has always been some discussion among the "enlightened folk" concerning the feathering of props on final on a belly landing to save damage to the engines. Personally I favor doing it if the approach is stabilized and once the runway can be made. The props will usually stop on a compression stroke or just before that so saving the props is random and iffy, but saving the crank and the internals can be minimized if you get lucky.
The Aerostar being a midwing has this added advantage and it paid off in this case. They did catch a blade but with any luck at all the required engine tear down might not reveal severe damage. I hope so anyway.
Hell of a way to end a hell of a year, but thanks to two good pilots this one was not as bad as it could have been.
Dudley Henriques

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Wow! Did not expect to read something like that here. Thank goodness you are both safe and that the plane is in one piece. 2020 really was a sucky year, here's to 2021! Maybe now we'll get som "accu-skid" tech in future releases. :wink:
Cheers!/Andreas

Thog10
Airman

Post by Thog10 »

Very glad you are both safe and well!
B377 COS, J3, B-17G, Spit, P-40, P-51, C172, PA28, C182, PA24, V-Tail

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 10:48

-Esa
In my opinion the two of them couldn't have done a better job of handling the situation. Back engineering the incident they basically did what a loose interpretation of an axiom put together by the Greek poet Archilochus would have said as he postulated on change; that being that in an emergency situation a pilot "never rises to the occasion". A pilot descends down to the level of their most recent training".
The guys did a first rate job. They zipped through the startle factor, settled in to a coordinated approach to handling the problem, analyzed the situation, called in some outside expert Aerostar assistance, and generally worked the issue as a well oiled team with the result being a lightly damaged aircraft and two good men walking away from it all in one piece.

There has always been some discussion among the "enlightened folk" concerning the feathering of props on final on a belly landing to save damage to the engines. Personally I favor doing it if the approach is stabilized and once the runway can be made. The props will usually stop on a compression stroke or just before that so saving the props is random and iffy, but saving the crank and the internals can be minimized if you get lucky.
The Aerostar being a midwing has this added advantage and it paid off in this case. They did catch a blade but with any luck at all the required engine tear down might not reveal severe damage. I hope so anyway.
Hell of a way to end a hell of a year, but thanks to two good pilots this one was not as bad as it could have been.
Dudley Henriques
Yeah, quickly checking the image (not knowing the Aerostar's dimensions) I thought the alignments of the props were rather lucky, hence my thought, but on closer look it is obvious that it would have been extremely improbable outcome to avoid any ground contact altogether. Anyways, a stopped blade hitting the ground is a tons greater outcome than having a running engine stopped by a prop strike. While it results in the same dis-/re-assembly of the power plants, the list of replacement parts tends to be shorter, with any luck at least.

Obviously it is not a priority at all in such situation, but to me it shows all the presence of mind, not only bringing the plane down safely but also being able to minimize the damages in such circumstances.

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 12:36
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 10:48

-Esa

Dudley Henriques
Yeah, quickly checking the image (not knowing the Aerostar's dimensions) I thought the alignments of the props were rather lucky, hence my thought, but on closer look it is obvious that it would have been extremely improbable outcome to avoid any ground contact altogether. Anyways, a stopped blade hitting the ground is a tons greater outcome than having a running engine stopped by a prop strike. While it results in the same dis-/re-assembly of the power plants, the list of replacement parts tends to be shorter, with any luck at least.

Obviously it is not a priority at all in such situation, but to me it shows all the presence of mind, not only bringing the plane down safely but also being able to minimize the damages in such circumstances.

-Esa
Yeah, they did a great job!

Did you happen to catch the film of the guy who put his Aerostar down gear up, skidded for about 50 feet on the asphalt caught and curled all his prop blades, then rotated back up and flew it away on to another field?
Dumbest and luckiest thing I ever saw. He made it too, bent props and all. The film is on Utube in case you missed it.
DH

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Glad, you're okay and everything went so well under the circumstances.

Would be interested to hear, why one of the main gear didn't want to deploy, if you can figure this out.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 13:01 must this gentleman here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdSflS ... WPBF25News
Yup............that's him !
DH

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 13:04
Tomas Linnet wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 13:01 must this gentleman here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdSflS ... WPBF25News
DH
Yes saw the video, can not understand why anyone would do that.
Glad that everyone is safe. Great work guys. :a2a:

Keep smiling
Tug :)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Tug002 wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 13:10
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 13:04
DH
Yes saw the video, can not understand why anyone would do that.
Glad that everyone is safe. Great work guys. :a2a:

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Instinctive reaction. Involuntary. Executed during the startle factor period. Not a conscious response.
It's a human factors textbook example for the above.
DH

Skyfox
Senior Airman

Post by Skyfox »

Holy ?()^ guys.

Omg. I am glad that you all are okay and in good health.

Be safe....

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

I'll leave the technical stuff to the experts, but let me just say I'm really glad you two managed to get out of that unscathed.

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Scott - A2A wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 08:30
I would always choose a very long smooth hard surface to belly land something like an Aerostar over uneven grass. I can't speak for other airplanes but I was thinking of the Messerschmidt Me-163 "Komet" as we were skidding. This plane has a skid and was designed to land this way:

The Aerostar felt like it was designed to land on it's belly as it was perfectly controllable.

BTW an interesting tidbit, we requested fire retardant foam and the airport said "due to environmental concerns, we no longer use that." This is true for even a passenger plane with hundreds of people. In our case all they would have needed was a very narrow path, as said above, it was controllable on the ground. Some other airplanes may not have faired as well as this beautifully designed and tough airplane.

Scott
Thanks Scott.
As the first series Arado 234. It looks like germans paved the road for belly landing.
Do the engines stop with the propellers in the right position ?
Could you assess the damages on the fuselage bottom ?

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”