What are people using to shut down background apps?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

What are people using to shut down background apps?

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Thread title says it all really :wink: .

I recently bought a TIR4 Pro and while it works perfectly in BoB2 and Air Battles and also GTR2 (a car racing game) it flatly refuses to talk to FS9 :( .

I have tried everything I can think of but had no luck so far. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both FS9 and the TIR software multiple times, I have contacted Natural Point's tech support and they are as confused as I am, I have posted on a couple of FS9 related forums and was advised to turn off my anti-virus when playing which I did and still no go and I have been trying to turn off as much as possible in the background to see if something there is killing it.

I have downloaded FS Autostart (Build 11) but it gives an error message whenever I try to run a profile and research on the web suggests the Build 12 patch cured this but all links to it are dead :( . I then downloaded 'End It All' and couldn't figure out how it is supposed to be used (very confusing GUI!)

So, what are folks using to kill background apps and does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to make FS9 see TIR. I should state that on the very first day I had the TIR it DID work perfectly but something changed somewhere and now the two do not communicate at all (I get no blue LED to show the two are talking to each other).

Any suggestions, pointers and/or sympathy greatfully received :wink: .
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Larry,

I use EndItAll. Works great and I use it before flying online. I manually select what I want killed so maybe 22 are closed and 3-4 I leave on as needed. Resets itself after every boot.

S'

PC

Sample:

EndItAll log: January 12, 2007 at 9:25 PM
Action: Close all (manual)
----------------------------------------
Attempting to close "AcroTray"
Close operation succeeded
Attempting to close "AnyDVD Application"
Attempting to close "ATI External Event Utility EXE Module"
Attempting to close "ATI External Event Utility EXE Module"
Attempting to close "ATI Desktop Control Panel"
Attempting to close "AVG Control Center"
Attempting to close "AVG E-Mail Scanner"
Attempting to close "Logitech Desktop Messenger"
Attempting to close "CloneCD Tray"
Attempting to close "CTF Loader"
Attempting to close "Quick Launch Buttons"
Closing Explorer windows
Attempting to close "GoogleToolbarNotifier"
Attempting to close "hp Wireless Assistant Module"
Close operation failed
Attempting to close " "
Attempting to close "HP Digital Imaging Monitor"
Close operation failed
Attempting to close "Hewlett-Packard Product Assistant"
Attempting to close "iTouch Application"
Attempting to close "iTunesHelper Module"
Attempting to close "Logitech SetPoint"
Attempting to close "Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer"
Attempting to close "Microsoft Office Wrapper"
Attempting to close "Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements"
Attempting to close "TouchPad Driver Helper Application"
Attempting to close "Virtual CloneDrive Daemon"
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

PappyCain wrote:I use EndItAll. Works great and I use it before flying online. I manually select what I want killed so maybe 22 are closed and 3-4 I leave on as needed.
Do you leave Enditall running after you have marked the ones to close or do you have to exit Enditall for the changes to take place? That was the bit I found confusing about it.
PappyCain wrote:Resets itself after every boot.
Does that mean you have to reboot after exiting the flight sim?
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Yes you will have to reboot after flying to get all the apps up working.

When I run EndItAll I just let it kill on auto or manual and then I shut it down and fire up the sim. Very simple.
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Well I retried EndItAll and killed everything except the essential but I still don't have FS9 talking to TIR4..hey ho...back to the drawing board.
Larry

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Do not give up on EnditAll however with that said there may be a conflict with a port - check properties. Seavee is the guru on it.

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

PappyCain wrote:Do not give up on EnditAll however with that said there may be a conflict with a port - check properties. Seavee is the guru on it.
There is something weird going on for sure...but I will persist until find a solution....I refuse to be beaten by a collection of diodes and transistors! :wink:
Larry

Brigs
Airman First Class

Post by Brigs »

Not sure if this will help or not (don't have fs9), but ya never know.

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/show ... p?t=116086

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Thanks for the link but I am trying to get it to work in VC mode. The main problem is that FS9 is not talking to the TIR and therefore I am not getting the blue 'connection' LED that shows the two are 'hand shaking'.
Larry

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”