A2A Aerostar flights

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A2A Aerostar flights

Post by MarcE »

Scott,

Great videos, that rudder is tiny! Have you already tried assymetrical thrust?

I have a request, if you don‘t mind. You say that you‘ll model the alternator sound behaviour. When you do that PLEASE keep in mind that you wear a headset in the plane while this sound comes from outside of the headset. In our case at the computer it will come THROUGH the headset. It is a terrible noise if it‘s directed directly to your ears that easily makes your head ache.. so please tune it down to a level that might be less realistic compared to the real environment in your plane without headset but so that it is still a significant sound for us. But so that this plane is still enjoyable on the ground.

Can‘t wait :D

Thanks for sharing!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

MarcE wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 04:42 I have a request, if you don‘t mind. You say that you‘ll model the alternator sound behaviour. When you do that PLEASE keep in mind that you wear a headset in the plane while this sound comes from outside of the headset. In our case at the computer it will come THROUGH the headset. It is a terrible noise if it‘s directed directly to your ears that easily makes your head ache.. so please tune it down to a level that might be less realistic compared to the real environment in your plane without headset but so that it is still a significant sound for us. But so that this plane is still enjoyable on the ground.
In fact, such sounds are picked from the airplane's audio system. In the video, you can't hear the whine whenever the audio is recorded only from the camera's microphone.

-Esa

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Ah okay. I‘ve mentioned this because there are addons out there where sounds like this have been added for immersion but if you hear them through the headset it just hurts.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, the noise is electrical, not directly audible on its own. Excessive 'whine' in the speakers/headsets can be indicative of bad filter capacitors in DC generating. However, cockpits are hardly sterile from "annoying" noises - aside electrical noises, there are typically cooling fans, gyros whining and so on. One gets used to it.

-Esa

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I know, I fly too :D but these noises are all around you in the real plane. I know that A2A do a great job mixing sounds, just keep in mind that it can be pretty painful if it comes through computer headsets when everthing else around you is silent.

To specify it a bit, the Ultimate Classics DC9 came with the cockpit fan sounds that are there in the plane too. I sat in a North West‘s DC9 cockpit in KGFK before the flight to MSP in 2003 and it was certainly a dominant sound but not deafening. In the P3D version however it is totally exaggerated and I had to tune it down myself. With this experience in mind I always become a little nervous when developers especially announce a great cockpit soundset as some tend to overdo it a little.

Also for example the A2A KAP 140 autopilot beeps like it does IRL, but routed through the headset this is a tone I fear every time. I‘ve flown with Cessnas equipped with that AP and the tone IS very dominant in the plane (like the stall horn) but it doesn‘t hurt.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I use headphones as my only audio device on my pc, for all the sim sounds. Personally I find that many sound sets don't get the cacophony right, often missing or under-emphasizing sounds such as wind noise, fan and airflow noise, various resonances, rattles and so on. And then overly emphasize the engines, which in reality, in jets particularly, can be rather quiet and overwhelmed by other noises. Of course, the "correct" balance depends a lot on factors such as whether one is using headphones, speakers, or a combination of both.

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I always liked Rob Young's work at Real Air. There was only one issue I had with their work really and that was the sound they used for their electric fuel pumps. The sound was so dominant it could be heard over all other sounds while in flight. For some reason they liked it that way.
LOL
Dudley Henriques

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, as the dynamic range of the audio is necessarily compressed, I think that the volumes of different sounds need to be scaled on the fly. Very often sounds that are quite audible on the ground, particularly with engines not running, are all but indiscernible in flight and at speed.

-Esa

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 09:00 I always liked Rob Young's work at Real Air. There was only one issue I had with their work really and that was the sound they used for their electric fuel pumps. The sound was so dominant it could be heard over all other sounds while in flight. For some reason they liked it that way.
LOL
Dudley Henriques
Yes, the only downside of the piston duke. On the other side, nothing happens if you leave the pumps off. ^^ unfortunately in P3D4 and 5 t he turbine duke‘s engines spool so slowly that you can hardly fly a gusty approach anymore. Pity, Realair addons were absolutely great and the VertX da62 still is. A2A‘s windshield effects and updatable navdata would have been absolutely amazing. I hope A2A might do a Diamond one day, maybe the DA40.. or the HK36 for MSFS :D

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

There is something wrong with the radios / electrical system that is causing this whine in the Aerostar, but it's been this way for 5 years. And many airplanes have all kinds of sounds and noise, like this. In a way, I like the sound as it's a constant reminder the alternators are working. If I ever have a question about their operation, I can just listen to this sound. It is also pretty feint. BUT, I won't force feed this to the public. It will be optional OR part of a possible broken condition.

I want this to be "fixed" in the real plane however. It would be nicer to have silent radios. The radios in the Aerostar are powerful and radios are very important. Either way, dealing with this noise is part of aviation.

BTW did a flight today, not sure if there is enough for a vid, maybe. Did a lot of slow flight, stalls, even deep ones. The Aerostar is a total gem. It gives you as much or more warning than the Comanche before stalling, and when it stalls the ailerons are always alive. Today I was dropping through -2000ft/min with the yoke back, and ailerons were alive and could keep it coordinated in this mush. The rudder OTOH was pretty non existent. But the plane is a dove, and to be as fast as it is and be so gentle like the Comanche is just so great.

Today, I was clocking 208 ktas at 9k. Clearly faster than a Baron or Cessna 310. It's a king in its class. I love this plane. Next I need to experiment with W&B and how it affects performance.

Tomorrow I need to go out to cover the left tank fuel cap as it's letting water in the left wing tank. It's going to be fixed next week. I'd like to do a bit of a walk around and talk about the airplane in general. It's truly a wonderful and interesting airplane to discuss. It blows my mind how the designer, Ted Smith, made an almost perfect airframe.

Always a beautiful angle:

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

So all thats left to do now is make the windows clear and release it before Christmas!!! :wink:
Cheers
Trev

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Scott - A2A wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 20:12 There is something wrong with the radios / electrical system that is causing this whine in the Aerostar, but it's been this way for 5 years.
The sound is unfiltered ripple that remains in the rectified voltage. Excessive "whine" is almost certainly caused by bad filter capacitors in the DC generating system, which tend to have kind of "best before" dates affecting them. Some later Aerostars (and early ones that are modified) apparently have filters (whatever those are, exactly) after the alternators, which could be the source of the issue as well if so equipped.

-Esa

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

AKar wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 23:45
Scott - A2A wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 20:12 There is something wrong with the radios / electrical system that is causing this whine in the Aerostar, but it's been this way for 5 years.
The sound is unfiltered ripple that remains in the rectified voltage. Excessive "whine" is almost certainly caused by bad filter capacitors in the DC generating system, which tend to have kind of "best before" dates affecting them. Some later Aerostars (and early ones that are modified) apparently have filters (whatever those are, exactly) after the alternators, which could be the source of the issue as well if so equipped.

-Esa
Thanks Esa, I will show my avionics guy your text next week.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Scott - A2A wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 05:18
AKar wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 23:45

-Esa
Thanks Esa, I will show my avionics guy your text next week.

Scott
Yeah, not knowing the type at all, it seems the Aerostar has Prestolite alternators, so I'd guess external filter caps. An RPM-dependent whine through the electrical system, however, is usually a telltale sign of 'worn' capacitors. I'd guess some rectifier faults could sound somewhat similar as well, but I'd start from the filter caps.

-Esa

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

The Aerostar will be such a nice addition for A2A. It's an exciting time!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”