Mike Patey - Scrappy Roars to Life

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Mike Patey - Scrappy Roars to Life

Post by TreeTops »

Has to be the best sounding piston aircraft engine hands down.
Remember, this engine is the same as in the Comanche 400 with just a little bit of work done to it :twisted: It still sounds the same though with the glorious music of 8 cylinders.

And what sounds better than one engine? Two. A Beechcraft QueenAir Excalibur with twin Lycoming 720's would make a nice freight dog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iEj9Azss

Or, I found this one of a re-engined Baron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ0o2cS_5sA

We used to have one in Perth, out of Jandakot, and it would leave at about 5am every weekday doing newspaper deliveries up north. If you have to be woken up by an aircraft flying overhead it might as well be one of these. Sure beats the sound of a Metro.
Cheers
Trev

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: Mike Patey - Scrappy Roars to Life

Post by Medtner »

Yeah, the sound of that engine is pure music. All the more reason for A2A to complete the wonderful Comanche 400 and get it Accusimmed. :)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Wikipedia lists a single Aerostar 800 was built and it had 2 Lycoming 400's. Any chance for an engine option in the Hanger? :twisted:
Cheers
Trev

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

TreeTops wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 05:24 Has to be the best sounding piston aircraft engine hands down.
Agreed. I also think the normally aspirated Aerostar 600 having no mufflers makes it sound nice. The Comanche 400, also admittedly though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense just being a bigger Lycoming, has a unique sound too.

Once our Accu-Sim Aerostar is done and the Comanche 400 is flying, I just can't see a scenario where we don't make a Comanche 400.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Scott - A2A wrote: I just can't see a scenario where we don't make a Comanche 400.

Scott
Neither can we.
But in the meantime, give us some behind the scenes shots from starting up/working on the 400.
That one video of the run-up... well... let's just say I've watched it about 40,000 times of the almost 17,000 views it has, and I'm sure I'm not alone. ;-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Having a 400 in the sim would be awesome.
Looking forward to the Aerostar. You must be making some solid progress with it now.

And I agree with Medtner about more videos of the plane(s).
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”