Aerostar for Christmas?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Aerostar for Christmas?

Post by Paughco »

We are all definitely looking forward to getting the A2A Aerostar. I'll probably get it as soon as it's released. One thing I really want to learn is how to deal with loss of an engine. I'd like to get the "engine out" procedure down cold. One way to start is to look at Zeno's Warbird Drive-in videos on various twin-engine aircraft, such as the B-26 Marauder and the P-38 Lightning. I hope that SimCFI is still around, and that we can get him to publish a YouTube video on how to deal with engine out situations.

Then I'll have to watch "American Made" one more time!

Seeya
ATB

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Aerostar for Christmas?

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Which Christmas are you talking about?? :mrgreen:

As far as MSFS is concerned, if it were this Christmas, then I'd be so surprised that you could knock me over with a feather. That sim is too unstable for such a complex addon as an AccuSim plane at the moment, with no SDK released and patches needing more patches. But I still think it is the future of our hobby.

I'd also be surprised if it were released for P3D this Christmas, but very pleasantly surprised. My guess is that with the current state of MSFS, a separate P3D release will happen first.

Cheers,
Mike.
ImageImageImageImage

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 00:05 My guess is that with the current state of MSFS, a separate P3D release will happen first.

Cheers,
Mike.
Exactly, and if you fly P3D, is it unreasonable to hope for this Christmas?

As for FS20, I think there's a 50/50 chance it could become the next Microsoft Flight. I guess we'll see.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

ratty wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 00:21
As for FS20, I think there's a 50/50 chance it could become the next Microsoft Flight. I guess we'll see.
I sincerely hope you're wrong there. I'd really like to buy it, as I want to see this hobby move away from FSX and FSX legacy sims. It looks amazing, and I've spent a few bucks uprating this PC, but I'm not going to make the jump until such time as the patches stop. What was released should have been stable, and what Asobo release subsequently are updates, rather than patches. At present, they need much better governance around how they test and release their patches, and I can't see how MSFS will really take off until they've achieved greater stability and there's a proper SDK released.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

MSFS is in its infancy but it rather making gradual progress. Even though this progress is slower than most people would expect, but it goes forward steadily. I can wait for SDK to mature and A2A enter the scene :)

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 23:18
I sincerely hope you're wrong there. I'd really like to buy it, as I want to see this hobby move away from FSX and FSX legacy sims. It looks amazing, and I've spent a few bucks uprating this PC, but I'm not going to make the jump until such time as the patches stop. What was released should have been stable, and what Asobo release subsequently are updates, rather than patches. At present, they need much better governance around how they test and release their patches, and I can't see how MSFS will really take off until they've achieved greater stability and there's a proper SDK released.

Cheers,
Mike
Go ahead and buy it. The road to get custom might be bumpy but definitely wroth it. I personally switched to MSFS from XP11. Yes I do miss a lot of study level complex aircraft. Meanwhile, MSFS has excellent moding community that include veteran developers from FSX such as Robert Young who used to own Real Air and produced a lot of excellent add ons in the past.
Also there are hundredth of free airports and some of them very much pay ware quality!

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

sdflyer wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 20:14
Dogsbody55 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 23:18

Cheers,
Mike
Go ahead and buy it. The road to get custom might be bumpy but definitely wroth it. I personally switched to MSFS from XP11. Yes I do miss a lot of study level complex aircraft. Meanwhile, MSFS has excellent moding community that include veteran developers from FSX such as Robert Young who used to own Real Air and produced a lot of excellent add ons in the past.
Also there are hundredth of free airports and some of them very much pay ware quality!
Sorry, but you haven't convinced me. I have been downloading some scenery for this sim and I agree that there's some great scenery out there, but I maintain my stance on it's lack of stability. I was thinking of buying it for Christmas, but presently I'll wait a little longer until my birthday in March. I see that patch #6 has just been released so I'll be interested to see how that goes and what, if anything it breaks. Also, I'm definitely not interested in legacy aircraft for this sim. I will only be adding in newly developed planes for MSFS. I suspect that after I've bought it, I won't be able to go back to any of the older sims I have (FSX, FSX SE and P3DV4).

Forwards, not sideways or backwards.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Mike,

There is no lack of stability. I’ve run MSFS on its own SSD since August 19th almost daily and haven‘t had a single CTD. My system is not the latest, I have an i7 6700k (not OC!), a 1080Ti with 11GB VRAM, 32 GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz and a Z170 Krait mainboard. I use 16 USB ports, all kind of controllers and play around with FSUIPC and LINDA a lot. Not once have I had any problems with MSFS. Those who constantly rant about MSFS instabilities and problems possibly should have a look at their system. Although I have to add that I have uninstalled the three airliners of MSFS. They are just pointless when you have P3D. FSL A320, PMDG 747, QW 787. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Anyway, MSFS is a great sim if you like GA flights from the DA20 up to the Citation. There are many mods improving the default aircraft significantly, Rob Young is just one example. The sim is totally worth it and doesn‘t have to be a replacement for our A2A host sims ;D

Swagger897
Airman

Post by Swagger897 »

Yep, agree with ^ 100%. I got back into flight sims this year again back in March around when V5 was released, bought some of my favorite aircraft that I could never get back on FS9 like the PMDG T7, some Carenado planes, and the A2A Bonanza. Once I started flying the Bonanza I pretty much shelved the T7. I'm honestly a bit disappointed that I bought so many major airports for the T7 to go to because I never fly it anymore, and instead began to purchase tons of ORBX sceneries and addons to have more fun with the Bonanza and travel. Bought the RXP GTN, ASP3D, and a few other tweaks to the sim in order to get it close to where I wanted it to be, but even still it was never ideal.

Bought MSFS a week after it came out and I've gone back to P3D twice to test fly the Bonanza again just to see if I want to keep P3D or not, and honestly there's no way I'm going back. I don't fly anything bigger than a Citation, but even then that's once in a blue moon that I do. Mostly stick with the Turbo Bonanza mod, or some of the tail draggers to explore, or the 150/172s to do pattern work for proficiency. The weather system is much better than what I thought it was going to be, aircraft look just as good as payware (although system lacking. BUT there are excellent mods out there that correct this!), and scenery... wow. It was about time someone made it look like Google Earth when you fly (which there's a mod to change mapping from Bing to Google too!).

I've had one CTD in about 300 hours flying so far and I never tracked the issue down as to why, but it was not a major concern of mine. I use the Ryzen 9 3900x + Radeon RX 5700 XT + 32gb RAM and get 40-60 fps depending on weather/time of day/aircraft/amount of AI (first time in 10+ years I've used AI) on a custom setting (Mix of mostly ultra with some of the next notch down) and thoroughly pleased. See no reason to upgrade hardware soon as I don't use VR but head tracking instead. Stability I would have to say is 99.996% satisfactory due to the one hiccup. If you don't own it and haven't messed around with flying in the mountains of Alaska in the Cubs, I don't think you've really gotten a thorough experience of MSFS.

Back to the Aerostar... I would almost consider if it was released this year by Xmas for P3D only and MSFS 3-4 months later to buy it for both sims. For one I think I'd be able to get a lot more experience with it under my belt and learn the multi-engine procedures, IFR, etc.. and not miss out on the awesome scenery from MSFS. Once released for MSFS then I would start on my world tour and begin to have a blast. I'm just really hoping we get the option for the turbo engines and pressurized cabin like we got the option for the 550 in the Bonanza. And if we got the winglet STC as well then I would be over the moon.
A&P

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 23:54

Sorry, but you haven't convinced me. I have been downloading some scenery for this sim and I agree that there's some great scenery out there, but I maintain my stance on it's lack of stability. I was thinking of buying it for Christmas, but presently I'll wait a little longer until my birthday in March. I see that patch #6 has just been released so I'll be interested to see how that goes and what, if anything it breaks. Also, I'm definitely not interested in legacy aircraft for this sim. I will only be adding in newly developed planes for MSFS. I suspect that after I've bought it, I won't be able to go back to any of the older sims I have (FSX, FSX SE and P3DV4).

Forwards, not sideways or backwards.

Cheers,
Mike
I'm not trying to convince anyone I just share my experience. I'm not sure what do you mean by stability. I've been flying MSFS since alpha and only had few crashed then. After release MSFS runs very stable for me. I do CTD once in a while but only due to 3rd party add-ons. In my opinion, MSFS is way more stable comparing with initial release of P3D and XP11 that I used in the past.

The biggest thing in MSFS right now are improvement but it doesn't hold me back me from flying after all all sims have shortcoming . See in the sim what see from cockpit window in real life is actually a big deal for me :)

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

Paughco wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 22:18 We are all definitely looking forward to getting the A2A Aerostar. I'll probably get it as soon as it's released. One thing I really want to learn is how to deal with loss of an engine. I'd like to get the "engine out" procedure down cold. One way to start is to look at Zeno's Warbird Drive-in videos on various twin-engine aircraft, such as the B-26 Marauder and the P-38 Lightning. I hope that SimCFI is still around, and that we can get him to publish a YouTube video on how to deal with engine out situations.

Seeya
ATB
I am looking forward to it as well!

Here are some good REALLY good videos from Martin Pauly and Doug Rozendaal about basic multi-engine theory and procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KGu2CFUU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcEg39NmxY4

https://youtu.be/oD3YPdOH5Xo

Rioku
Airman First Class

Post by Rioku »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 00:05 with no SDK released and patches needing more patches.
They update the SDK continuously, check the last roadmap from yesterday:

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

iflyc77 wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 23:38
Paughco wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 22:18 We are all definitely looking forward to getting the A2A Aerostar. I'll probably get it as soon as it's released. One thing I really want to learn is how to deal with loss of an engine. I'd like to get the "engine out" procedure down cold. One way to start is to look at Zeno's Warbird Drive-in videos on various twin-engine aircraft, such as the B-26 Marauder and the P-38 Lightning. I hope that SimCFI is still around, and that we can get him to publish a YouTube video on how to deal with engine out situations.

Seeya
ATB

Here are some good REALLY good videos from Martin Pauly and Doug Rozendaal about basic multi-engine theory and procedure.

iflyc77: THANK YOU for posting that! I watched both of the short videos, and I believe that now I'll go for the full-on multi-engine ground school next. Hey, this is serious "academic" stuff here, P3D-wise, if ya know what I mean. I hope you won't mind if I post those links on the Pilot's Lounge on Discord. Man, it'll be really crazy when the whole A2A Misfit Squadron starts flying around in Aerostars!

Seeya
ATB

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

Paughco wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 20:56
iflyc77 wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 23:38

Seeya
ATB

iflyc77: THANK YOU for posting that! I watched both of the short videos, and I believe that now I'll go for the full-on multi-engine ground school next. Hey, this is serious "academic" stuff here, P3D-wise, if ya know what I mean. I hope you won't mind if I post those links on the Pilot's Lounge on Discord. Man, it'll be really crazy when the whole A2A Misfit Squadron starts flying around in Aerostars!

Seeya
ATB
Glad you enjoyed them and yeah share away! Doug is a phenomenal instructor, warbird pilot and DPE. Him and Martin did a similar set of videos for tailwheel flying that are just as good.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Rioku wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 14:22
Dogsbody55 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 00:05 with no SDK released and patches needing more patches.
They update the SDK continuously, check the last roadmap from yesterday:

Sorry. Should have written "finalised or at least workable" SDK. A number of payware and freeware developers have announced that they're suspending development of their aircraft addons, due to the constant changes to aircraft modelling in the sim. This is very indicative of an immature and not yet stable product.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”