Ping Nick; Quick question for clarity

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Ping Nick; Quick question for clarity

Post by DHenriques_ »

Hi Nick;
Reading the P3D site on this 5.1 download is REALLY confusing. When I do this I don't want to screw it up so bare with me please.
From your post on the forum I THINK I understand that what I should do is uninstall v.5 from add remove programs then download and execute the ENTIRE 5.1 program and if I do that my Orbx and A2A will be preserved and all will be well in Dudley land.
The reason I'm confused is that on the P3D site they state that only the client is required for the update. They then state that content and scenery are "optional". Does this mean that if you install ONLY the client you get ALL the updates or do you need to install the content and scenery to get the updates that are included with these two sections?
Should I simply forget all this mess with client, content, and scenery and just go for the complete download?
I should note as well that when I installed version 5 I accepted the default locations for the files on the installer.
Did I do the right thing there that allows me to now uninstall 5 and execute 5.1 without messing things up with Orbx and A2A (I also accepted the default locations for both these installers when I did version 5.
Sorry to bother you with all this as I know you are busy with other things but once I get this procedure down pat I should be ok for the future updating................hopefully. :-)
Dudley

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Ping Nick; Quick question for clarity

Post by Paughco »

We were discussing P3D v5.1 on today's MP flight, and the consensus is that we have finally have v5 dialed in, so it wouldn't hurt to let a month or so go by before downloading 5.1. Maybe after the first hotfix comes out.

Happy landings
ATB

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Paughco wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 01:17 We were discussing P3D v5.1 on today's MP flight, and the consensus is that we have finally have v5 dialed in, so it wouldn't hurt to let a month or so go by before downloading 5.1. Maybe after the first hotfix comes out.

Happy landings
ATB
I am sort of leaning that way at this point. The P3D web site is very ambiguous about the best way to install the update. On one hand they "recommend" the whole update be used........then they go into great detail on downloading the client with the content and scenery as options.
They don't state clearly that the client contains all the updates leaving you to figure out if you need to download the content and scenery to get any updating these two sections contain.
VERY confusing......especially with people saying all over the web that only the client is needed to update.
DH

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Dudley,

To be honest, the only reason I can see for doing a client-only update for a significant patch like this one would be if you had a slow internet connection and that downloading the entire ~23 GB package would take many hours.

My own preference is for a completely clean reinstall, so to uninstall and reinstall I do the following:
  1. Uninstall the main Prepar3D v5 entry from the list of installed apps. This will also cause the content, client and scenery entries to be uninstalled.
  2. Manually remove the following directories:
    C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
  3. Restart the PC
  4. Install the new version
I actually keep a backed-up copy of the "Standard.xml" file (from "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Controls") so I don't need to redo all my control assignments each time I do this , but otherwise all of the existing files are replaced.

When you first restart P3D after reinstalling, you should be asked if you want to enable the A2A add-ons that it'll detect in the "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" folder.

For Orbx, you'll need to open Orbx Central, click on the settings icon (gear wheel at top left) and then click "Help" from the menu at left and "Sync Simulator". If you've installed your Orbx add-ons directly to the Prepar3D v5 folder (I think this is the default option) I also recommend that you click on each installed scenery under "My Products" and then on "Verify Files".

Having said all that, quite understandable if you wish to hold off on the update for a while and see if a new hotfix presents itself in the next few week.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nick - A2A wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 06:30 Hi Dudley,

To be honest, the only reason I can see for doing a client-only update for a significant patch like this one would be if you had a slow internet connection and that downloading the entire ~23 GB package would take many hours.

My own preference is for a completely clean reinstall, so to uninstall and reinstall I do the following:
  1. Uninstall the main Prepar3D v5 entry from the list of installed apps. This will also cause the content, client and scenery entries to be uninstalled.
  2. Manually remove the following directories:
    C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
  3. Restart the PC
  4. Install the new version
I actually keep a backed-up copy of the "Standard.xml" file (from "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Controls") so I don't need to redo all my control assignments each time I do this , but otherwise all of the existing files are replaced.

When you first restart P3D after reinstalling, you should be asked if you want to enable the A2A add-ons that it'll detect in the "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" folder.

For Orbx, you'll need to open Orbx Central, click on the settings icon (gear wheel at top left) and then click "Help" from the menu at left and "Sync Simulator". If you've installed your Orbx add-ons directly to the Prepar3D v5 folder (I think this is the default option) I also recommend that you click on each installed scenery under "My Products" and then on "Verify Files".

Having said all that, quite understandable if you wish to hold off on the update for a while and see if a new hotfix presents itself in the next few week.

Thanks,
Nick
That's perfect Nick; just what I need to know. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this out. I never would have known to do this and in what order.
Can I suggest we post this as a sticky so others might benefit from it.
Dudley

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Dudley: Please let us all know how that worked out, once you get it all done.

Thank you
ATB

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Paughco wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 21:48 Dudley: Please let us all know how that worked out, once you get it all done.

Thank you
ATB
Will do. Should go well unless I screw something up somewhere. LOL
D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nick, just so you know; (I haven't done the update yet, just checking for the required files to delete as specified......when I checked my file structure for the following files;

I have Users\Dudley\
but no AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 to complete this chain.

Is this normal and should I just ignore the missing files when I finally do the updating?
D

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Dudley,

I just did the full reinstall and I had no apparent problems. Background: my P3Dv5 is on a separate drive, I install my addons directly to the P3D folder, and I have ORBX scenery including Global Base, Vector, Open LC North America and Europe, True Earth Washington, Pacific Northwest, Northern California, Southern California, Northern Rockies, Central Rockies and some airports. I also have Where Are My Aircraft and AccuFeel V2 installed, and of course some A2A aircraft.

I completed the uninstall of P3Dv5 and then I noticed I didn't have any of the C:\ files Nick says to uninstall. I went ahead and installed v5.1 into my old Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v5 folder, which still contained my ORBX and A2A folders. That's all. After the new install was completed and I re-entered my license information, I launched P3D and happily discovered my custom default scenario (the A2A P-40 parked at my local airport) was still valid; my ORBX Central Rockies area and True Earth Washington are confirmed active), and my WAMA saves are still intact.

The new version loads with the environmental effects enabled. I like some things about it straight out of the box, but overall the world feels like I'm wearing amber sun glasses on an overcast day. Clouds are pixelated. I haven't played around with settings yet.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'm frustrated. Layers of terrain textures are conflicting with each other, flashing on and off. It seems to only be happening where the ORBX coverage is only Global Base/Vector/LC.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Skycat wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 00:19 Dudley,

I just did the full reinstall and I had no apparent problems. Background: my P3Dv5 is on a separate drive, I install my addons directly to the P3D folder, and I have ORBX scenery including Global Base, Vector, Open LC North America and Europe, True Earth Washington, Pacific Northwest, Northern California, Southern California, Northern Rockies, Central Rockies and some airports. I also have Where Are My Aircraft and AccuFeel V2 installed, and of course some A2A aircraft.

I completed the uninstall of P3Dv5 and then I noticed I didn't have any of the C:\ files Nick says to uninstall. I went ahead and installed v5.1 into my old Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v5 folder, which still contained my ORBX and A2A folders. That's all. After the new install was completed and I re-entered my license information, I launched P3D and happily discovered my custom default scenario (the A2A P-40 parked at my local airport) was still valid; my ORBX Central Rockies area and True Earth Washington are confirmed active), and my WAMA saves are still intact.

The new version loads with the environmental effects enabled. I like some things about it straight out of the box, but overall the world feels like I'm wearing amber sun glasses on an overcast day. Clouds are pixelated. I haven't played around with settings yet.
Thanks for posting this. Very useful information.
DH

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:19 Nick, just so you know; (I haven't done the update yet, just checking for the required files to delete as specified......when I checked my file structure for the following files;

I have Users\Dudley\

Is this normal and should I just ignore the missing files when I finally do the updating?
D
Hi Dudley,

The AppData folder is hidden by default. If that's the case on your system, just follow these instructions to show Hidden files and Folders.

View hidden files and folders in Windows 10: Open File Explorer from the taskbar. Select View > Options > Change folder and search options. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

I'm thinking that's where all your saved settings, control assignments, etc. are stored, hence Nicks' advice to delete all those, but note his comment below,
Nick - A2A wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 06:30 I actually keep a backed-up copy of the "Standard.xml" file (from "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Controls") so I don't need to redo all my control assignments each time I do this , but otherwise all of the existing files are replaced.
I'm also thinking that if you don't delete those files, you'll end up doing pretty much what I did to uninstall/reinstall. If you do and do not save the "Standard.xml" file, you'll have to reset all your controls after reinstallation.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:19 Nick, just so you know; (I haven't done the update yet, just checking for the required files to delete as specified......when I checked my file structure for the following files;

I have Users\Dudley\

D
Sorry, somehow I missed this follow-up question Dudley.

As Rob says, the AppData folder is set to 'hidden' so won't show in the file explorer by default but if you follow Rob's advice you should be able to access it.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Nick - A2A wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 15:42

I have Users\Dudley\

D
Sorry, somehow I missed this follow-up question Dudley.

As Rob says, the AppData folder is set to 'hidden' so won't show in the file explorer by default but if you follow Rob's advice you should be able to access it.

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks, you and Bob both.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”