New version of P3Dv5.1 out today.........opinions?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Re: New version of P3Dv5.1 out today.........opinions?

Post by twsharp12 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:17 Thanks everybody. Looks like it's a complete uninstall and reinstall.
Nick, what's odd about the comparison between the atmospherics setting is that my A2A cockpits appear on the dark side NOW with .5 installed.
I like the look of 5.1 with enhanced OFF.
DH
Enhanced Atmospherics has so much potential. It can and does look really good at certain altitudes/conditions. I'd still consider it early beta though.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

ORBX has some guidelines on how to upgrade P3D with their products. Go to their forums and search for “ Installing a P3D V5 Hotfix correctly”.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

Over on the ORBX site, Nick Cooper has a very comprehensive and easy-to-follow "how to" guide. I followed it yesterday, did a complete uninstall/reinstall, and all my A2A aircraft and ORBX scenery remained intact and in situ.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/192 ... correctly/

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 09:17 Thanks everybody. Looks like it's a complete uninstall and reinstall.
Nick, what's odd about the comparison between the atmospherics setting is that my A2A cockpits appear on the dark side NOW with .5 installed.
DH
I didn't think about the manual file deletion thing or Orbx file verification process mentioned by Nick here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71627&p=545721#p545721, so being a simple farm boy and very much NON-techno guy, I just uninstalled v5 through the Win 10 settings menu then restarted and installed the complete v5.1. All is well with all the Orbx scenery that was installed in the library and airplanes A2A that were installed in the Prepar3D v5 Addons folder and all the control settings are fine. It appears that the lazy guy method works too :mrgreen:

Regarding the dark look of v5, I've been using it for months and just realized the other day that the setting sliders under the HDR lighting menu can sort that out to a great degree. If you haven't played with them before, it's worth a bit of experimentation.

In general, v5.1 is quite a bit smoother and better looking on my machine, especially after tweaking the Brightness and Saturation settings. P3Dv5 has always shown me 30 - 50% better performance than v4.5, especially in high density areas and now v5.1 seems to render smoother even at lower frame rates...of course that could be my imagination. The water definitely looks better and with atmospheric enhancements and Orbx True Earth, the look of v5.1 is very close to MSFS. That too could be imagination, but it's good enough that I'm not in any particular rush for A2A airplanes over there, as I have a LOT of 'esplorin' to do in my Mustang and Bonanza :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 10:00
DH
I didn't think about the manual file deletion thing or Orbx file verification process mentioned by Nick here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71627&p=545721#p545721, so being a simple farm boy and very much NON-techno guy, I just uninstalled v5 through the Win 10 settings menu then restarted and installed the complete v5.1. All is well with all the Orbx scenery that was installed in the library and airplanes A2A that were installed in the Prepar3D v5 Addons folder and all the control settings are fine. It appears that the lazy guy method works too :mrgreen:

Regarding the dark look of v5, I've been using it for months and just realized the other day that the setting sliders under the HDR lighting menu can sort that out to a great degree. If you haven't played with them before, it's worth a bit of experimentation.

In general, v5.1 is quite a bit smoother and better looking on my machine, especially after tweaking the Brightness and Saturation settings. P3Dv5 has always shown me 30 - 50% better performance than v4.5, especially in high density areas and now v5.1 seems to render smoother even at lower frame rates...of course that could be my imagination. The water definitely looks better and with atmospheric enhancements and Orbx True Earth, the look of v5.1 is very close to MSFS. That too could be imagination, but it's good enough that I'm not in any particular rush for A2A airplanes over there, as I have a LOT of 'esplorin' to do in my Mustang and Bonanza :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Really helpful. Thanks !
D

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

Since V4 it‘s ok to just uninstall the client (keep the activation active) and install the new client. A complete new Installation isn‘t necessary.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

cbramkamp wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 02:10 Since V4 it‘s ok to just uninstall the client (keep the activation active) and install the new client. A complete new Installation isn‘t necessary.
That’s the rumor, but sometimes “they” say “minor scenery” and/or client fixes. I always do all 3 (not a complete uninstall/reinstall) and follow the ORBX instructions mentioned above. Haven’t had any issues yet.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I finally downgraded to v4 again. Once they fix enhanced Atmo and the look of water I may be back. How did they manage to have worse looking water in v5?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Been flying with P3D v5.0 for a few months now. Figured I'd wait and see on 5.1. Based on comments from Ian on the Misfit's MP flight today, I decided to try a "client only" upgrade to v5.1. It works. First flight was in the A2A Cub. First thing I noticed is that it is YELLOW again. I had noticed that the pure Cub yellow had been mellowed out a bit in P3D v5.0, a bit too much for my taste. Well, the total Cub yellow is back! That alone makes it worth it. I flew it out over the shark-filled waters of Tasmania (prep for the Sunday Misfits MP flight), and it looks really good! I've now got my Cub picture as my wallpaper in place the usual P-40 Warhawk screenshot.

Bright Cub yellow. Now that's what I'm talkin' about:

More Cub action. Isn't that little thing just beautiful?:

Next I flew my P-51 Mustang from home base (Arlington, KAWO) up to Friday Harbor. Not sure if I want to keep the enhanced atmospherics or not. Also, I noticed black squares forming around the nav and strobe lights. I could shut them off and turn them back on and the black squares would be gone. Managed a NO BOUNCE landing at Friday Harbor. Awright!!

All in all, I say it's worth the switch to 5.1. Maybe I'll let my 'puter run all night and download the complete install.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”