New version of P3Dv5.1 out today.........opinions?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

New version of P3Dv5.1 out today.........opinions?

Post by DHenriques_ »

I have v5 installed and running well with our A2A planes. Anyone tried the new version and are there any issues afterward with our planes?
DH

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: New version of P3Dv5.1 out today.........opinions?

Post by bladerunner900 »

More specifically, I would like to know if they have addresses the DXGI_ERROR_HUNG phenomenon. Before I think of re-purchasing.

Steve.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Read some reviews...most likely nothing to be impressed about.

I saw someone load the ngxu without issues, if thats any guide.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Caldemeyn wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 04:13 Read some reviews...most likely nothing to be impressed about.

I saw someone load the ngxu without issues, if thats any guide.
Thanks for your reply.

Seeing as how I have all A2A aircraft and no prospect of getting the older war-birds for MFS in my lifetime, I have no choice but to stick with P3D for now.

There are conflicting reports on what does or doesn't cause this DXGI_ERROR_HUNG problem. Nothing seems to be consistent except "passing the buck" blame wise. Now, I am reading that the cure for NVidia users, is to use their Studio Driver and not their Game Ready Driver.

Steve.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

What was it that Shakespeare said? "Much ado about not much difference" I did client and scenery apart from the Enhanced Atmospherics being out of beta (not that I could see what the fuss was about) nothing jumped out at me.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

If enhanced atmospherics work properly now, I'll be able to live with v5 happily for a very long time.

sniper31
Airman

Post by sniper31 »

So, after testing it throughout the day, here is my feedback, good and bad, based on experiences ON MY SYSTEM only.

The Bad:

-The previous problems with Enhanced Atmospherics(EA) has not seem to be fixed. There are still LOTS of pixelation around objects that intersect the skyline, and even other scenery objects. It very much still feels like a beta. With my sliders ALL to the right, shadows enabled, reflections checked, light options enabled, I don't see much 'OH WOW' factors all with the clouds, sky or 'atmospherics'.

-There are still scenery objects that haze does not obscure. This sounds like a minor thing, but when flying in hazy conditions and you see these dark object scattered all about your view, it is very immersion breaking. I have read some feedback from others that LM says the problem is more on the developer side, but whatever the cause is, it seems like a lot of finger pointing.

The Good:

-The water and overall shaders with HDR enabled do seem to look better. Granted, this is very subjective as everyone has different color settings on their PC's and monitors. I tweak my monitor and color settings a lot, always trying to achieve a good looking result. Recently, I started using ENVTEX from TOGA to get shader results I am very happy with. Of course, that app has not yet been upgraded for P3D 5.1, so I am back to default P3D shaders. That all said, the default P3D 5.1 shaders, with HDR enabled, look a lot better then they use to, and are more inline with what I had with ENVTEX.

-Overall, the whole sim seems to perform better and smoother than ever. Now, my system is very robust, with an O/C i9-10850 CPU at 5.3 Ghz, a 2080 Ti with 11Gb Vram, 32 Gb of 4000Mhz RAM and P3Dv5 installed on an NVMe M.2 1TB SSD, so prior to the 5.1 upgrade, P3Dv5 HF2 was already running very well on my system. The big difference I am seeing with the 5.1 update is that I can push almost all sliders FULL right, and not only is the sim NOT slowing down but is running even a little smoother than it was before the update. So, that is a big deal, and for those with lesser systems, it might be an even bigger positive. With most sliders full right, road traffic at 25%, Traffic Global AI at 50% each for commercial and general AI, shadows enabled and set high, 4k textures installed, and running in some of the traditionally hardest FPS hit Orbx areas like NCA and SCA and other hard areas, it is still smooth and nice flying, and my VRAM usage is still around 4.9-5.9. So, that is something.

-All A2A Aircraft that I tested worked without issue. So far, these were the C172, C182, the Cub, Comanche and Texan.

-I have yet to experience any crashes, to include the DXGI crash. It seems very stable thus far.

So there you go. AS with these types of things, your mileage might vary. Cheers!

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'm new to P3D. Is it easy to update to the next version? Will I have to reinstall all my ORBX content?
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

sniper31
Airman

Post by sniper31 »

Skycat wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 00:05 I'm new to P3D. Is it easy to update to the next version? Will I have to reinstall all my ORBX content?
It is pretty fairly easy to upgrade when a new update comes out, BUT, it IS important to read the instructions on the Lockheed Marting P3D site where you download the update from BEFORE you run the update. There are some specific things to do. But, once you've done it once, it is the same or similar process each time.

As for Orbx products, as long as they are in the same sim family, then you don't need to reinstall them. For example, if you upgrading from P3dv5 vanilla to version 5.1 then you won't have to reinstall your Orbx P3Dv5 scenery. Again though, best to read and follow the LM instructions when updating.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The site says to install the new client. The only download I'm finding for v5.1 is the full version at 22GB. Do I download that? Not sure where else to look.

Edit: I just noticed the link "+ Individual Component Downloads (click to expand)" and found the Install_Client.msi.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I have P3Dv5 installed now with Orbx Global, Vector, and North America Landclass and Block Island Airport. I also have several A2A planes installed.
I see on the P3D site that they "recommend" the entire download for version 5.1.
If I uninstall version 5 and execute 5.1 will I lose the Orbx and the A2A add ons?
The individual download method seems complicated to me. I know it's an option but it's far from being absolutely clear from the instructions as to how to get everything installed properly.
Anyway, can somebody who really knows this stuff point me in the right direction on the best way to do things with this program? LOL
Thanks
DH

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

You can safely uninstall P3D 5.0, the Orbx and A2A folders will be left intact. Do not manually remove any of the settings files, especially those in the Documents folder. Then, you can perform a fresh installation of 5.1 and it will pick up your add-ons automatically. I'd avoid messing with individual components (Client, Content, Scenery) as there have been updates to the Enhanced Atmospherics feature. The safest option is simply to uninstall the whole thing and do a complete 5.1 installation.

Before you proceed, however, I'd advise checking with other add-on vendors to see if their software is compatible with 5.1. ActiveSky is known to require a patch, there have been reports that Reality-XP avionics also need to be patched.

HTH,
Tym

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

TymK wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 05:13 The safest option is simply to uninstall the whole thing and do a complete 5.1 installation.
This would certainly be my recommendation too. As Tym says, the advantage of the P3D add-on installation logic is that the host sim can be completely removed without affecting add-ons, provided they're installed to a folder as intended.

With Orbx Central, I believe it's still possible to choose to install directly to the sim. However, even if you've gone down this route, any Orbx files should hopefully be left intact during P3D reinstallation.

It's worth noting that enabling Enhanced Atmospherics in v5.1 completely changes the lighting of the cockpit and other surfaces. Here are a couple of comparison pics which illustrate just how different things can look depending on whether you have this mode enabled or not. I don't think this difference was so pronounced in v5.0, although there have been so many beta versions of v.5.1 it's hard to remember! :)

Enhanced Atmospherics = OFF

Enhanced Atmospherics = ON

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

5.1 runs smooth but while EA looks good when below the clouds, when you are flying above them, and especially over mountains, it looks really awful to be honest. The grid patterns of the clouds are still there, plus the various other issues.

Edit: Looks like the community found a partial fix https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5881 ... r-results/

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Thanks everybody. Looks like it's a complete uninstall and reinstall.
Nick, what's odd about the comparison between the atmospherics setting is that my A2A cockpits appear on the dark side NOW with .5 installed.
I like the look of 5.1 with enhanced OFF.
DH

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”