A question about the Lockheed Constellation

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CookerCook
Senior Airman

A question about the Lockheed Constellation

Post by CookerCook »

How long did it take for the Lockheed Constellation to fly Across the Pond? (London to New York) Also, did the flight involve stop overs?
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

jackwall
Airman

Re: A question about the Lockheed Constellation

Post by jackwall »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_flight

After World War II long runways were available, and North American and European carriers such as Pan Am, TWA, Trans Canada Airlines (TCA), BOAC, and Air France acquired larger piston airliners that could cross the North Atlantic with stops (usually in Gander, Newfoundland and/or Shannon, Ireland). In January 1946 Pan Am's Douglas DC-4 was scheduled New York (La Guardia) to London (Hurn) in 17 hours 40 minutes, five days a week; in June 1946 Lockheed L-049 Constellations had brought the eastward time to London Heathrow down to 15 hr 15 min.

Hope this helps

rgds

jack

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Cannot say the time for the Atlantic, but the Pacific is a tale of the two winds. Going west (to the Far East) you are fighting head winds the whole way. From Travis AFB in California, we flew (USAF C-121 Connie) to Honolulu, refueled, flew to Midway Island, refueled, flew to Wake Island, refueled and ate, flew to Tokyo (Tachikawa AB). It is difficult to tell the actual time because we crossed the International Date Line, but with ground stops, it took us about 19-20 hours. On my return to the US, we took off from Tachikawa at exactly 19:00 local time in another C-121. We caught the jet stream and flew direct to Honolulu (Hickam AFB) where we were told to remain on the plane while they fueled. After giving the bird a drink, we were back in the air to Travis AFB, caught the jet stream again, and arrived around 08:00 the morning (calendar wise) the same day we took off (in the evening). With the fuel stop, it totaled about 13 clock hours.

Side note to this..... We hired a taxi at Travis to go to KSFO. Arriving at KSFO we were hurried to a United / Boeing 707 flight headed for Chicago, hours before our scheduled flight. I called my parents from KORD on my way to board a connecting flight to Pittsburgh (Boeing 707), to have them head for KPIT. I arrived at home, 40 miles from KPIT fifteen minutes after I took off from Tokyo (same date).

Flying the Atlantic, you have the jet stream to fight also, depending on the time of year and the strength of the jet stream, your flight times will change.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

McDonnell-Douglas
Senior Airman

Post by McDonnell-Douglas »

CookerCook
Senior Airman

Post by CookerCook »

What about the B377? Are they the same in terms of speed?
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

By the manufacturer’s specs the Constellation is faster by a small amount, but there are the usual caveats to those numbers since there was no advantage to running either aircraft at its max. In a way, they represent two different philosophies with the Strocruiser being focused on luxury and the Connie, while not austere by any means, was maybe a bit more utilitarian. Thats just an initial impression since I have yet to do a deep dive into the Connie! 😉

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Come on Jaques. You're on the 10m high dive platform and the pool bottom has Connie written all over it. :D
Cheers
Trev

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I’m still examining that old, coffee-stained L-049 manual cover.😂

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

TreeTops wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 13:46 Come on Jaques. You're on the 10m high dive platform and the pool bottom has Connie written all over it. :D
Back armstand double somersault 1 1/2 twists. Nothing to fear about, it‘s just water :twisted:

Better back to the Connie :mrgreen:

McDonnell-Douglas
Senior Airman

Post by McDonnell-Douglas »

CookerCook wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 09:26 What about the B377? Are they the same in terms of speed?
Speed is but one factor. Also it is important to note the different types of speed:
Maximum Speed
Cruise Speed
Block to Block (airline timetable)

In addition the B377 served a different market than the Constellation. It was a more luxurious.

You can see the block to block times for the B377 below. You can find more examples of such timetables on the wonderful site that is https://www.timetableimages.com

CookerCook
Senior Airman

Post by CookerCook »

Why does the B377 have reversers while the L-049 doesn't?
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I think the Connie does not go into beta because A2A has faithfully adhered to the capabilities of an early Connie. The 049 initially did not have “reverse” props because that wasn’t available until later in the development process.

I’m just speculating here though! 😉

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Plus the B377 completely empty weighed about 85,000 lbs where the Connie fully loaded weighed 92,000 lbs. The B377 is a much bigger plane.
Cheers
Trev

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Jacques wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 23:26 I think the Connie does not go into beta because A2A has faithfully adhered to the capabilities of an early Connie. The 049 initially did not have “reverse” props because that wasn’t available until later in the development process.

I’m just speculating here though! 😉
Exactly Jacques... as always, A2A build a SPECIFIC model/marque of an aircraft. The A2A aircraft will therefore ONLY have the features available on that particular vintage of the aircraft.

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

CookerCook
Senior Airman

Post by CookerCook »

If you were to be “Captain of the Ship”, would you go with the B377 Stratocruiser or the L-049 Constellation?
“You Drive a Mustang?”
“No, I fly one.”

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”