gotta love that sound:)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: gotta love that sound:)

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 10:13 "OH BEE" was a good friend and a charter member of the International Fighter Pilots Fellowship, an organization I founded in 1971. He was a great guy and one hell of an airplane driver.
I don't think it was rank that carried off his various "adventures" He was only a Ft/Lt. :-). He DID however, have a LOT of friends.
DH
Haha that's awesome! I saw him fly the Sea Fury and heard many stories and from what I understood, "Adventures" is a very good way to put it :D

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 10:47
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 10:13 "OH BEE" was a good friend and a charter member of the International Fighter Pilots Fellowship, an organization I founded in 1971. He was a great guy and one hell of an airplane driver.
I don't think it was rank that carried off his various "adventures" He was only a Ft/Lt. :-). He DID however, have a LOT of friends.
DH
Haha that's awesome! I saw him fly the Sea Fury and heard many stories and from what I understood, "Adventures" is a very good way to put it :D

Cheers,
Rob
LOL, yes, that would be about right on his "adventures". The P51 got him finally. To this day no one really knows what happened. Very similar to Vlado's accident.
Sad. I liked them both very much.
DH

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 10:56 LOL, yes, that would be about right on his "adventures". The P51 got him finally. To this day no one really knows what happened. Very similar to Vlado's accident.
Sad. I liked them both very much.
DH
Very sad indeed...especially the not knowing how that could happen to guys like that part...
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Dudley,
with all due respect (as they say so often in war films): The whine/whistle of the 109 is not (predominably) from some opening. It is, I believe, a true supercharger sound. That is why I mentioned my BMW. Whenever I revved the engine, I could hear the turbine whine go up the frequency. Although it was a diesel engine, it was so well encapsulated that one could hear the turbine (a testament to the culture of the 6-cyl technology).
So, my conclusion: your planes may produce their sound by „external means“ (like a Stuka‘s sirens😁), my Me 109 whines from within. (After all, she has to hace at least something better than the superior US fighter ...).
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

vtracy wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 03:59 Dudley,
with all due respect (as they say so often in war films): The whine/whistle of the 109 is not (predominantly) from some opening. It is, I believe, a true supercharger sound. That is why I mentioned my BMW. Whenever I revved the engine, I could hear the turbine whine go up the frequency. Although it was a diesel engine, it was so well encapsulated that one could hear the turbine (a testament to the culture of the 6-cyl technology).
So, my conclusion: your planes may produce their sound by „external means“ (like a Stuka‘s sirens😁), my Me 109 whines from within. (After all, she has to hace at least something better than the superior US fighter ...).
Volker
I understand your opinion and I certainly respect your right to express it and the subject of the "whine" certainly isn't important enough to cause hard feelings between friends on this forum. :-)

I have no doubt at all that you might very well be able to hear the charger installed inside a car. A fighter plane at high speed however is another matter. At high speed and especially in curved flight where g is increasing and angle of attack from the relative wind is striking various openings the total sum of the produced sound from this would certainly drown out any internal sound emitted from a supercharger. Also, you will note that the "whine" you are hearing isn't constant. Even considering doppler effect the whine changes in intensity as the fighter changes its attitude in pitch. The supercharger on the other hand, in the case of the Mustang anyway, at the altitude we are discussing here such as viewing a display, is operating at a constant speed. In the case of the P51 for example, the low blower ratio as I recall is around 6.391 x the crank speed. In high blower which is never used at low altitudes, that ratio is bumped up to around 8. something. The sound you are hearing from the famous "whine" is varying in intensity so it can't come from the charger which is operating at a constant speed in relation to the engine crankshaft.
Acoustic experts the world over have studied the issue of the famous whine and the consensus is as I have described in my prior post.
I certainly, as I said respect your right to an opposing opinion. I can only comment here on this forum as that relates to my personal experience flying these warbirds and discussing these issues at various times in my career with world class experts.
Fear not however..........the argument over the source of the famous "whine" will no doubt go on long after I am gone. LOL
Dudley Henriques

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

having never been a real pilot due to financial problems. i do have to say i love flying the virtual A2A mustang. it has great power and visibility from the cockpit. it's not a hard plane to fly just hard to fly well some times. :lol:

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Dudley, it was never meant that seriously! I just wanted to bring a bit of colour in this forum of Mustang lovers😜
I am only sad that my Me 109E of FSx and P3Dv3 fame ist not available for v5. I‘d just love to fly it...
But, it is much fun to fly the Spit Mk II by A2A.
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

vtracy wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 10:13 Dudley, it was never meant that seriously! I just wanted to bring a bit of colour in this forum of Mustang lovers😜
I am only sad that my Me 109E of FSx and P3Dv3 fame ist not available for v5. I‘d just love to fly it...
But, it is much fun to fly the Spit Mk II by A2A.
Volker
I know. No sweat at all Volker. Sometimes I will post deeply into specifics if I have first hand knowledge of something. My posts are meant for general information. In your case I simply wanted to make the comparison between the car and the aircraft so people might understand a bit better. Nothing personal at all intended. LOL
Dudley Henriques

Dan M
Airman

Post by Dan M »

Not to hijack this thread but, since we're appreciating unique aircraft sounds....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6K4iSxET6g
Dan M

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Since the thread don't say anything about aircraft sounds I'll post this without blinking. I used to own one of these, exactly like this. I also kept the standard exhaust system. Note the whine....this time not from the gun ports, but from the unique gear driven cams: https://youtu.be/QRW5ErbBixE?t=52 . Now I own it's sister, a 1994 VFR750 RC36. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tomas Linnet on 05 Dec 2020, 02:19, edited 3 times in total.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 14:10 Since the thread don't say anything about aircraft sounds I'll post this without blinking. I used to own one of these, exactly like this. I also kept the standard exhaust system. Note the whine....this time not from the gun ports, but from the unique gear drive: https://youtu.be/QRW5ErbBixE?t=52 . Now I own it's sister, a 1994 VFR750 RC36. :mrgreen:
Yep, you can hear it clearly on the bike. In a Mustang at 46 inches and 2700RPM and 350knots and pulling g to boot you need earmuffs but you can't hear the supercharger. LOL
DH

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Try the CAC Boomerang. The wind screaming through the gun ports cause the Japanese to refer to it as the whistling death. I've seen and heard one of these in a dive, and to me, it sounds more like a howl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80sAPEF0awM

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 14:41
Tomas Linnet wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 14:10 Since the thread don't say anything about aircraft sounds I'll post this without blinking. I used to own one of these, exactly like this. I also kept the standard exhaust system. Note the whine....this time not from the gun ports, but from the unique gear drive: https://youtu.be/QRW5ErbBixE?t=52 . Now I own it's sister, a 1994 VFR750 RC36. :mrgreen:
Yep, you can hear it clearly on the bike. In a Mustang at 46 inches and 2700RPM and 350knots and pulling g to boot you need earmuffs but you can't hear the supercharger. LOL
DH
i wish i could try this for real. but there are no P-51's around here. and i don't think taking a mustang out just to hear her whistling is going to be cheap. :lol:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”