FSX Gold to FSX 2020 transition

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Raebo
Airman First Class

FSX Gold to FSX 2020 transition

Post by Raebo »

Hi everyone
My questions are.

I fly in the FSX Gold world.
I never updated to P34D, as the only aircraft I fly is the Boeing 377.
A2A had never updated the 377 to P34D so like many I was forced to stay in the FSX Gold world, or fly another airplane which I choose not to do.

I fly everyday and still love the B-377, and FSX Gold.

I have a pretty powerful rig, and with years of tweaking its still a great platform IMO.

1) Am I able to integrate from FSX Gold into the new FSX 2020 plateform?

2) Will the A2A Boeing 377 integrate into the new FSX 2020 platform?

If they both can, what is the best procedure?

Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide me with.
Nvidia GTX - 980Ti Titan.

Seidon 240M liquid CPU cooler.

Intel i7-4770K, Asus Z87-pro.

Samsung- 840 EVO Sata III TLC SSD.

Trident X series 32GB (4x8)

Kingwin 1000- watt 80+ Bronze Power supply.

Asus - PB278 2560x1440 HDMI Monitor.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: FSX Gold to FSX 2020 transition

Post by Skycat »

For questions one and two I believe the simple answer is "No."

Going deeper, A2A Simulations has not released a B-377 for MSFS 2020 (as you already know) or any aircraft yet for the new sim. Scott said they'd look into converting some of the current FSX/P3D aircraft as the company moves forward -- but that isn't a promise that a particular aircraft (or any of them) will eventually be ported; and if it happens I think it will probably be on a priority similar to the FSX to P3D conversions and with a similar timeline of several months of testing to polish each release before going public.

That leaves users to pursue unofficial ports. There are threads at other sites on how to go about converting FSX aircraft (for example the Manfred Jahn C-47) to work in MSFS 2020. It looks really complicated to me, even just considering only the basic model designed to use FSX's code. A2A's Accusim and Captain of the Ship proprietary code will make an unofficial port nearly impossible in my opinion. I'll let others weigh in whether they think even attempting it violates A2A's EULA.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

russellwwest
Airman First Class

Post by russellwwest »

This is one of the main reasons I went to p3d instead of MSFS recently.
The majority of my add-ons were able to be moved across for free (ORBX, REX textures, SLC) majestic dash cost £12 to move from FSX to p3d.
Thankfully, I only recently discovered a2a so I only recently bought my first for p3d (although part of me wishes I'd found these planes much sooner!!).
But the above has allowed me to enjoy a stable more modern sim with all the add-ons I love and delete my fsx folder.....
I won't be heading to MSFS anytime soon.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Since the 377 was never updated beyond FSX and won't work in P3Dv4 (it seemed to work in v2 but I never actually flew it there), it's is highly unlikely that it will ever be made to work in MSFS. Unfortunate, as I did love that plane.

User ports of FSX aircraft to MSFS are unsatisfactory. They can be made to work, but click spots are problematic and may have to be totally removed, there are no user panels. Graphics don't translate well, many instruments are missing. The numbers from the .air file are used in a different way so they'd have to be adjusted. It's just not worth the effort except for the simplest aircraft. It won't work for A2A if you want any of the A2A features.

I got one aircraft ported, a Stearman from Golden Age Simulations, but with missing features. It flies, I enjoy it. But I don't recommend the process. The last MSFS update broke it and I had to do more work on it to get it flying again. Hopefully that doesn't happen every update.

The SDK for MSFS isn't in anything like a finished state, and is constantly changing, so it makes it harder for developers to create anything worthwhile. Still lots of broken things in MSFS but they're working on them.

If you want to fly the default GA aircraft (and a couple of add-ons now) over fantastic terrain, MSFS might work for you. Otherwise I'd stick with your current sim. Personally, I don't use autopilot or modern avionics and MSFS seems like it was made just for me. Let's see what MSFS looks like in a few months to a year.

Hook

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Good post, Hook.

I just built a computer in anticipation of MSFS 2020 but, like Russellwest, I went to P3D instead. I'll see how the MSFS develops. I've gone to VR almost exclusively now so that is my main reason for holding off on MSFS. P3Dv5's VR implementation isn't perfect but I like that I can toggle easily between flat screen and VR and back; and that I was able to use my ORBX purchases in P3D. I have the AT-6, Cub and P-40 installed.

I've also simplified my FSX build and I've been flying the tutorials and scenario missions in VR mode using FlyInside, and that's actually a heck of a lot of fun! So is piloting the Trike Ultralight at night in VR.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Thanks, Skycat.

I'm personally holding out for P3D to include streaming scenery. I believe this is likely to happen as now that MSFS has proven it's feasible; P3D's clients are likely to be demanding it.

Imagine downloading an update to P3D and seeing a new option: "Streaming Scenery ON/OFF". Everything else the same, just that one new option. Any bets that would bring back a lot of simmers who are missing their A2A or PMDG aircraft?

I'm taking a break from flight simming and a certain Aviation Simulation forum. Yesterday I bought a train sim, Derail Valley. It's pretty amazing what a small team of dedicated developers can do. Not only is the sim great, but the community is nice too. :) More like A2A.

Oddly enough, Derail Valley is tempting me to look at VR. If you've ever gotten up close and personal with a steam locomotive, they're huge... no even bigger than that. Those large drive wheels are almost six feet in diameter. Someone commented on how big the trains looked using VR and I'd like to check it out myself. Somehow I never cared about it with flight sims.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”