Be especially careful in upcoming months

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Be especially careful in upcoming months

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

It looks like the virus predictions are going to get worse.
Be especially on guard folks.
We might be halfway there until some of us get an effective vaccine
https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/g ... -2m-deaths

We just might reach the same number of deaths from this virus just in the USA as the USA deaths during World War II (of course that's a small number compared to the immense number of deaths the Soviet Union lost during WW2 ).
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Be especially careful in upcoming months

Post by Paughco »

Roger that. Fortunately my wife and I agree on being very careful, minimizing exposure, etc. We'll get through this, we can't start celebrating yet. My thing is motorcycles and flight sim. I really gotta thank my pals in the A2A Misfit MP Squadron - they've helped immensely during this crisis. We've had many great flights. Also my other pals in the Northwest Chapter of the Hog Ridin' Fools MC.

My wife used to drive into Seattle to attend dance performances. Pacific Northwest Ballet, etc. Now she stays home and we do "Silver and Fit with Penny" every weekday morning at 1000 hrs. She also takes several online classes via Zoom, YouTube, etc. I'm gonna make her a nice dance floor (4' x 4', birch 3/4" plywood on a 1/2" pad) for her classes.

Hang in. We'll make it through this thing.

OK, I gotta go barbecue some ribeye steaks.

Seeya
ATB

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

It sounds like you're doing well.
I have a good friend who owns a lot of Harley Davidson motorcycles.
Glad that your wife is doing well too
Just today on Komonews they mentioned the predicted death toll from this virus will likely reach 400,000 in the USA by the end of this year.
Who knows what the death toll in the USA will be by the middle of 2021
Maybe a guess like 600,000 to 800,000 and that's likely when everyone will be able to get a vaccine if they want one.
Also now is close to the time to get a recommended flu shot.Please do that too if you can.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

I envy you guys that can hunker down. I'm one of those "essential" (feels like "expendable" is more accurate) workers; I'm a pilot for your "hometown airline". We had to fight hard just to get some basic PPE for flight deck disinfection.

I will say though, the disinfecting protocols for customers are not just for show; they're absolutely militant about adhering to those, so that's good! SEATAC in general is becoming a busy place again...

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I would say if you have other health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, or are obese and generally unhealthy, then sure, take a lot of precaution. The CDC information regarding deaths doesn't really show much worry if you are an otherwise healthy individual.

In the Spring, numbers were saying 2 million deaths in the USA, which hasn't happened, not even close. I'm not a fan of "fear ?????," especially one simming websites. We get enough of that in our daily lives.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

twsharp12 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 14:25 I would say if you have other health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, or are obese and generally unhealthy, then sure, take a lot of precaution. The CDC information regarding deaths doesn't really show much worry if you are an otherwise healthy individual.

In the Spring, numbers were saying 2 million deaths in the USA, which hasn't happened, not even close. I'm not a fan of "fear ?????," especially one simming websites. We get enough of that in our daily lives.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm
Careful, these are 'Sacred Cows' you're talking about. :roll:
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Without looking to stir something up on this site I agree with twsharp on this.

Mike

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

Worth considering (and often never mentioned when this comes up) is the fact that if you look at the list of co-morbidities, over half of Americans have at least one of those conditions. This being the case, even if you're a person who doesn't, given an R0 of around 2.0, you're more likely than not to spread the infection to someone for whom it could easily be life threatening.

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

On the CDC’s website the number is actually 94% with on average 2.6 comorbidities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... r-BB18wrA7

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Not sure if this will bring any comfort, but a local article/study from physicians in the area indicated that it wasn't just one comorbity that made in the difference. In particular they showed a relationship to what is called metabolic syndrome. This is having 3 of the 5 of the following conditions; high fasting blood sugar, high blood pressure, high triglcyerides, low LDL, and obesity (BMI>30). Those that had 3 out of these 5 had a much more difficult time with COVID and typically had less favorable outcomes. This study only looked at patients that were admitted to the hospital. I wouldn't use this as a green light per se but some might find it helpful

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Yeah, actual death rates aren’t terribly high but combine that with basically uncontrolled spread due to lack of distancing or wearing masks and you get real deaths. The US is about to cross 200.000 dead because too many people have been convinced caring about their fellow citizens and wearing a damn mask is just too much bother.

I do love the literal death bed confessions where people realize their false sense of immunity was more hoax than the virus and they sentenced themselves and others in their family to die because of their own lack of care and caring. That’s golden.

My brother also thinks (or thought) covid was much ado about nothing - just a bunch of hooey - until he and his wife started feeling bad and started gurgling when they breathed. Turns out it was some other flu (they got tested - that other much ado about nothing). We’ll see how long before that dodged bullet gets forgotten.

Even though death rates are low and the health care system is better able to deal, the impact is still huge. A large infection rate still overwhelms the medical system and hospitals are still overwhelmed in numerous parts of this country. The other thing is those feeling “safe” because they don’t have the co-morbidities just might discover they aren’t so immune after all. My brother and his wife both are otherwise healthy but have the blood types associated with more severe illness.

If all who think covid is a joke or isn’t so bad were the only ones injured or killed by reckless behaviors, that would be fine. It’s just Darwin proving he is still relevant. But they aren’t. Far too many have behaved badly and infected loved ones who die, or they themselves die. Surprise.

So if you are tempted to think it’s all overblown and a joke, good for you. But please think of others around you that you may take with you.

I will never understand why so many non-experts think they are qualified to second guess and “correct” the real experts. It’s the age of feels and how those are just as legitimate as actual knowledge, I guess. Until sanity returns, eveyone should stay safe and observe distancing and mask guidance.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Completely data based video that spells the state of the virus which was very bad in March and April, but like all bad viruses in the past has run its course. These are real numbers that again are simply not being broadcast in mainstream. I agreed with Twsharp about this subject on a flightsim forum, But this thread has legs, and there is much more to this than the doom and gloom we keep watching. Ivor Cummins is completely legit, and his data is from government sources. The graphs says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvFhIFzaac

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Yes, always trust a weight loss guru for infectious disease advice. :roll:

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

patful wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 07:59 Yes, always trust a weight loss guru for infectious disease advice. :roll:
Source material is from the CDC, which I also posted a direct link to earlier. I think everyone should look at the data and decide for themselves.

Edit: Scratch that, I don't know what that video is. Point still stands though. Everyone should just look at the hard data and decide from there.

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Data is data - he is not giving his opinion, he is going through data which is from government sources. Not sure why the resistance to anything that goes beyond what our governments shove down our throats. Did you actually watch the video? Why don't you argue his points instead of that response? And btw, he is not a weight loss expert - dig a little deeper and you will find his credentials. I just don't get the direction any dialogue goes when one gives a different point of view on this subject.

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”