Still Proudly Behind the Times!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Still Proudly Behind the Times!

Post by Bruce66 »

Whilst everyone else is rushing out to get MSFS 2020 I have finally decided to splash out and get P3D and version 4.5 no less (The recommended specs for v5 are WAY out of my budget!)

Now just to get it all set up and running in my spare time (maybe an hour a day if I'm lucky :mrgreen: ) and then to have some fun!

Basically I wanted a platform for the Aerostar when it comes out - I sure hope it will be compatible with P3D v4.5!! :shock:

I will likely get MSFS 2020 for Xmas unless I see too many more videos showing how crap it is :D :D :D
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Re: Still Proudly Behind the Times!

Post by twsharp12 »

MS2020 is good, just needs A2A and we're all set.

Raven214
Airman

Post by Raven214 »

twsharp12 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:19 MS2020 is good, just needs A2A and we're all set.
This, 100%!
ImageImageImage

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Nothing wrong with that, I'm still on P3D V4.5 myself I am. Probably won't take the plunge on MSFS2020 until later this year. I like the idea of scenery that looks like the real world, but I want the plane to act like a real plane.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well, just because a new platform is out there doesnt mean the old ones suddenly stop working or suddenly stop being fun :D

Enjoy your upgrade, hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you and you will enjoy the extra eye candy P3Dv4 gives up over the older FSX 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Yup, like I say, I will probably get 2020 for Xmas!

And I am not getting rid of my FSX either - plan is to have all my ORBX in P3D and all my GEX/UTX in FSX.

Planes is a different story....hmmm....maybe I should have bought the FSX/P3D A2A packages afterall :cry: - not a big deal though scince I wouldn't want them all in P3D necessarily anyway. Spitfire, probably yes. We will see what else I miss when I get settled in P3D....
Gaming Computer

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Bruce66 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 12:47 And I am not getting rid of my FSX either - plan is to have all my ORBX in P3D and all my GEX/UTX in FSX.
I planned on going that route with my new PC build. But after installing a clean FSX:SE and adding GEX, UTX and a land class, I'll opine that some things are best remembered fondly and never revisited.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Skycat wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 18:42
Bruce66 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 12:47 And I am not getting rid of my FSX either - plan is to have all my ORBX in P3D and all my GEX/UTX in FSX.
I planned on going that route with my new PC build. But after installing a clean FSX:SE and adding GEX, UTX and a land class, I'll opine that some things are best remembered fondly and never revisited.
That would very much depend on where you fly I suppose.

For example, Saskatchewan and the middle of Canada generally are much better represented in GEX/UTX than with ORBX Global. I flew around Swift Current yesterday with ORBX Global and could not find a landmark but for the #1 Hwy. In UTX I can pick out the hospital, rodeo grounds, golf course etc etc (Not modeledcourse, but represented in their proper places with reasonable replacements.

I will grant the US looks better in ORBX Glibal for places I have seen and visited in both RL and sim (maybe with the exception of the Grand Canyon).

Either way, for those long Northern flights I prefer UTX, for low Bush flying in the mountains I prefer ORBX....
Gaming Computer

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I've re-evaluated after removing UTX from my FSX. GEX and SimTech land class works okay for my local area, and the bonus is I can properly use my Scenery Builders scenery of KGTF in FSX.

I just installed P3D v5 and I hope it is a worthwhile upgrade.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

russellwwest
Airman First Class

Post by russellwwest »

Similar here. I've been thinking about moving on from FSX:SE for a while and had considered all my options.
I gave MSFS a go, but was not actually that impressed....
Considered xplane, but not for very long....
Like you my pc can't handle p3d v5. So I settled on v4 and love it...plus pretty much all my add-ons work and only majestic dash 8 requires a cost to upgrade

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

So far I am really impressed with P3D, especially the way my planes look and feel!

Still working on adjusting the settings though and getting the best out of the various ORBX scenery. Even on recommended settings the performance is not consistent across the various payware airports. Go figure....
Gaming Computer

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good stuff and yes that is one aspect that FSX and P3D still have in common. The tweaking can take over quickly against the flying ratio. So I'd totally recommend turning off any FPS counters, set an fps limit in your sim and just fly, fly, fly.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I was going to get MSFS about now, but I've decided to wait and see a little longer. I'm presently content with P3D V4.5, plus I have lots of A2A goodness installed. I did enjoy flying the DA62 when I had FSW installed, and I'm sure there will be other stock planes I'll enjoy in the new sim, but I'd still like to wait until it's a little more developed before trying my hand at it.

From all reports, it will take three days to install and get sorted with it's myriad of preferences too :roll: .

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 15:50 Good stuff and yes that is one aspect that FSX and P3D still have in common. The tweaking can take over quickly against the flying ratio. So I'd totally recommend turning off any FPS counters, set an fps limit in your sim and just fly, fly, fly.

cheers,
Lewis
Ah yes, fps limit. Unfortunately I have two ORBX airports which are knocking me down from 60 fps to 5 fps! :shock:

Still trying to figure out why....even London is giving me a steady 30 fps...go figure.....
Gaming Computer

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 23:44 I was going to get MSFS about now, but I've decided to wait and see a little longer. I'm presently content with P3D V4.5, plus I have lots of A2A goodness installed. I did enjoy flying the DA62 when I had FSW installed, and I'm sure there will be other stock planes I'll enjoy in the new sim, but I'd still like to wait until it's a little more developed before trying my hand at it.

From all reports, it will take three days to install and get sorted with it's myriad of preferences too :roll: .

Cheers,
Mike
Yup, I was looking with longing at the 2020 scenery...but there are no planes to match the A2A planes to go with it....yet!

Maybe when the Aerostar is ready I'll buy it for both P3D v4.5 and MSFS 2020 (if that is a purchase option) and THEN get the new sim....we'll see....
Gaming Computer

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”