Need recommendation on Orbx scenery please

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
OGfishm0nger
Airman

Re: Need recommendation on Orbx scenery please

Post by OGfishm0nger »

Mickel wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 07:23 Don't forget the dozens of airports in the (free) Global Airport pack (I'm assuming it works in V5 too...).

Mike
Sadly it does not, and they have said they will not be updating it either. Orbx does have a few individual free airports that are supposed to be v5 compatible but I can't recall which ones.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

OGfishm0nger wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 08:02 Sadly it does not, and they have said they will not be updating it either.
Damn, I was under impression that they would be making it v5 compatible? Too bad if that isn't the case, some very fun destinations were included, and the default ones are absolute rubbish in comparison.

-Esa

OGfishm0nger
Airman

Post by OGfishm0nger »

Actually I stand corrected (sort of). I was reading their forums earlier today and saw that they are releasing the pack "as-is" for v5 and leaving it up to users to resolve any compatibility issues if they so desire. I've messed around with ADE a tiny bit so maybe I'll give that a whirl at some point. They have started a stickied thread for people to post any modifications they wish to make available to others.

EDIT: My understanding is that the compatibility issues are a result of differences in building placement in v5 vs v4 and earlier. Since the free pack is thousands of airports I can see why they don't want to spend the time to upgrade them all.

kopolla
Airman

Post by kopolla »

When I was looking at the Orbx website yesterday, the Airport pack had compatibility for v5 listed.

Also regarding Vector: It was originally discontinued for v5, because the LM's vector data was a lot newer and more accurate, rendering Global Vector basically useless.
Vector was only brought back from its slumber because with Orbx regions (maybe landclass too, not sure about that one) tunnels and bridges would go over mountains and valleys, as if there weren't any.

I suggest only using Vector if that becomes an issue.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

OGfishm0nger wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 12:37 Actually I stand corrected (sort of). I was reading their forums earlier today and saw that they are releasing the pack "as-is" for v5 and leaving it up to users to resolve any compatibility issues if they so desire. I've messed around with ADE a tiny bit so maybe I'll give that a whirl at some point. They have started a stickied thread for people to post any modifications they wish to make available to others.

EDIT: My understanding is that the compatibility issues are a result of differences in building placement in v5 vs v4 and earlier. Since the free pack is thousands of airports I can see why they don't want to spend the time to upgrade them all.
Too bad they couldn't charge something for it. Maybe $5 or $10 and get it updated for v5.. something to make it worth it. They had a lot of nice airports in the area I like to fly.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Dudley: I'm posting this in response to another post where you're asking for a customized hangar at your favorite airport. Sorry I don't know about modifying scenery, so I can't help you there, but I'd like to relate a personal airport scenery experience. It seems maybe more appropriate here, because we're discussing P3D v5 scenery, mostly ORBX.

A long time ago ('62 or '63) a guy made a wheels up landing in a Beech Staggerwing at Half Moon Bay Airport. At the time I was about 16, living in San Bruno. I read about it in the San Francisco Examiner on a Saturday morning, and thought I should ride over to Half Moon Bay Airport on my motorcycle, a 1950 Harley Davidson Panhead to check it out. I rode over the hill to KHAF, parked next to the diner and admin building, and walked to the big hangar just to North. There was a kid my age, working on some sort of airplane stuff, and occasionally gassing airplanes that taxied up to the pump. Turned out the kid, Paul Sylvestri, went to my High School, Capuchino High. We introduced ourselves, and are friends to this day. Paul's father, Frank Sylvestri, had flown P-47s in WW2, and he ran the airport and the flying school like a fighter squadron. Paul showed me what was left of the Beech Staggerwing, and told me how the airplane was almost full of gas when it landed wheels up on Rwy 30. The ancient fire truck went out there, and they almost had the fire under control, when the truck ran out of water. The aircraft was a total loss. Bummer. But, I found a new hangout - West Coast Aviation at Half Moon Bay Airport! Many weekends were spent at Half Moon Bay airport, gassing and washing airplanes, stripping paint off Cessna 150 wings, and rolling all the 150s, a couple 172s, and a 182 back into the hangar at the end of the day. I got 13.5 hours in 140s and 150s, at a rate of 1/2 hour instruction for a day of work, but eventually decided to work for $5/day to pay for motorcycle expenses.

Now I fly my A2A aircraft on a Jetline computer. I bought ORBX Half Moon Bay Airport the day it came out. Sometimes I fly into KHAF, and park near the big hangar, the one with a faded picture of Snoopy on the roof. There's a guy out front, working on some sort of airplane stuff, and I swear, it looks just like my friend Paul. The little diner is now called the "3-Zero Cafe," and the admin building is the "Frank Sylvestri Terminal." All of this is shown as in real life in ORBX KHAF.

I still have my '50 H-D Panhead, but now it's more of a chopper.

Thank you for your contributions on this forum and to aviation in general.

Seeya
ATB

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Paughco wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 16:17 Dudley: I'm posting this in response to another post where you're asking for a customized hangar at your favorite airport. Sorry I don't know about modifying scenery, so I can't help you there, but I'd like to relate a personal airport scenery experience. It seems maybe more appropriate here, because we're discussing P3D v5 scenery, mostly ORBX.

A long time ago ('62 or '63) a guy made a wheels up landing in a Beech Staggerwing at Half Moon Bay Airport. At the time I was about 16, living in San Bruno. I read about it in the San Francisco Examiner on a Saturday morning, and thought I should ride over to Half Moon Bay Airport on my motorcycle, a 1950 Harley Davidson Panhead to check it out. I rode over the hill to KHAF, parked next to the diner and admin building, and walked to the big hangar just to North. There was a kid my age, working on some sort of airplane stuff, and occasionally gassing airplanes that taxied up to the pump. Turned out the kid, Paul Sylvestri, went to my High School, Capuchino High. We introduced ourselves, and are friends to this day. Paul's father, Frank Sylvestri, had flown P-47s in WW2, and he ran the airport and the flying school like a fighter squadron. Paul showed me what was left of the Beech Staggerwing, and told me how the airplane was almost full of gas when it landed wheels up on Rwy 30. The ancient fire truck went out there, and they almost had the fire under control, when the truck ran out of water. The aircraft was a total loss. Bummer. But, I found a new hangout - West Coast Aviation at Half Moon Bay Airport! Many weekends were spent at Half Moon Bay airport, gassing and washing airplanes, stripping paint off Cessna 150 wings, and rolling all the 150s, a couple 172s, and a 182 back into the hangar at the end of the day. I got 13.5 hours in 140s and 150s, at a rate of 1/2 hour instruction for a day of work, but eventually decided to work for $5/day to pay for motorcycle expenses.

Now I fly my A2A aircraft on a Jetline computer. I bought ORBX Half Moon Bay Airport the day it came out. Sometimes I fly into KHAF, and park near the big hangar, the one with a faded picture of Snoopy on the roof. There's a guy out front, working on some sort of airplane stuff, and I swear, it looks just like my friend Paul. The little diner is now called the "3-Zero Cafe," and the admin building is the "Frank Sylvestri Terminal." All of this is shown as in real life in ORBX KHAF.

I still have my '50 H-D Panhead, but now it's more of a chopper.

Thank you for your contributions on this forum and to aviation in general.

Seeya
ATB
Great story! I think these stories are quite common in aviation. It all has to begin somewhere and at some early age. It's amazing how much of our memories we can duplicate in these modern flight simulators.
D

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

AKar wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 07:59 Unfortunately, the Global Airport Pack is not yet released for v5, as of now. I do miss that pack, as they did many interesting destinations with perfectly adequate representation.
To be honest, I find many of the default airports in v5 very bad indeed. I've had some airports that are supposed to be fairly reasonable size with just a one or two GA stands, and many smaller airports that have completely unrecognizable apron and stand configurations.

-Esa
The (Free) Global Airport Pack was now released for P3DV5 just 2 days ago.. :D
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

lonewulf47 wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 06:10
AKar wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 07:59 Unfortunately, the Global Airport Pack is not yet released for v5, as of now. I do miss that pack, as they did many interesting destinations with perfectly adequate representation.
To be honest, I find many of the default airports in v5 very bad indeed. I've had some airports that are supposed to be fairly reasonable size with just a one or two GA stands, and many smaller airports that have completely unrecognizable apron and stand configurations.

-Esa
The (Free) Global Airport Pack was now released for P3DV5 just 2 days ago.. :D
Excellent, thanks for heads-up!

-Esa

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I'm still in v4.5 but wanted to say that I do enjoy the Trees HD and TerraFlora v2 very much. I fly more globally than locally so finding correct vegetation for the area is nice. I also enjoy the Buildings HD as we have spent years looking at the same buildings in FS. It's nice to have an updated package for that. Other than that you cannot go wrong with all the Orbx Global that you can muster. They have not done a whole lot on the Eastern seaboard. I'm in the PNW and have all NA Regions so that really covers me for local flying. Having all the Global add-ons just makes global flying so much better. If you leave the US I would recommend a custom mesh (not needed in the US) like FreeMesh X.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 20:49
Hobart Escin wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 20:41 Have you considered photoreal Megascenery for this area? It's good stuff and considerably cheaper than the Orbx packages.
Already bought the Orbx Hobart. Looks ok for what I want and I have my A2A planes now so I'm a very happy camper ! :-)
You're on a slippery slope Dudley. It's like once you start buying A2A planes (Not a problem you have I suspect :D ) it's almost impossible to stop.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 15:02
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 20:49
Hobart Escin wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 20:41 Have you considered photoreal Megascenery for this area? It's good stuff and considerably cheaper than the Orbx packages.
Already bought the Orbx Hobart. Looks ok for what I want and I have my A2A planes now so I'm a very happy camper ! :-)
You're on a slippery slope Dudley. It's like once you start buying A2A planes (Not a problem you have I suspect :D ) it's almost impossible to stop.
LOL. I know. That's why I optioned for the P3D. Once you fly our planes there simply isn't any fun at all flying anything else.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”