Need a bit of help from someone up and running in FS2020; subject, controller assignments.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Need a bit of help from someone up and running in FS2020; subject, controller assignments.

Post by DHenriques_ »

I could use a bit of help from someone who has figured out how to assign and reassign functions to controllers using the controller applet in 2020. I'd like to assign and change and reassign a few functions to a Warthog stick and am finding the process to do this a bit confusing. :-)
We can work direct email if you desire. [email protected]
Thanks a lot.
Dudley Henriques

patful
Master Sergeant

Re: Need a bit of help from someone up and running in FS2020; subject, controller assignments.

Post by patful »

Hello, Dudley. I have to get to bed, but I'll try to come up with an explanation of the setup and some of my mappings tomorrow morning if nobody beats me to it.
Pat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Need a bit of help from someone up and running in FS2020; subject, controller assignments.

Post by DHenriques_ »

patful wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 00:23 Hello, Dudley. I have to get to bed, but I'll try to come up with an explanation of the setup and some of my mappings tomorrow morning if nobody beats me to it.
Pat
Thanks a bunch Pat. Appreciate the help. Back channel me anytime and I'll explain what's going on exactly to give you a better idea.
D

ThreeGreenGaming
Airman

Post by ThreeGreenGaming »

Is the game at least recognizing your Thrustmaster HOTAS and you just need to re-assign the buttons/axis commands, or is it not even recognizing the stick?
RW CFI/CFII
Founder - Three Green Gaming
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/threegreengaming
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjGbX ... AdprNNwqXQ

Founder - The Flightsim Community Podcast : http://flightsimcommunitypodcast.com/

CamAir
Airman

Post by CamAir »

Hi Dudley,

I got all of my Saitek hardware (and I got the entire set!) assigned. First I used the FS20 App, which I learnt to use from "Squirrel", see link below and watch all of the four videos. The answers you need are in video #2.

I then decided to use the latest version of SpadneXt, which is fully compatible with FS20, bar a temporary hiccup with Simconnect. As of this writing every possible button or axis in my hardware has been assign to at least three aircrafts.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4q_Tb ... b4PUbCyZen
Last edited by CamAir on 20 Aug 2020, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ThreeGreenGaming wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 06:06 Is the game at least recognizing your Thrustmaster HOTAS and you just need to re-assign the buttons/axis commands, or is it not even recognizing the stick?
Stick and throttle are recognized normally and are assigned default functions as chosen by the sim. What I need is to change some of the assignments on the Warthog. I also need to get a handle on how to get a 90 right and 90 left view assigned to the Pine Tree hat on the Hog and relocate the pitch trim to the 4 way hat below the Pine Tree.
Figuring out the controller applet is a real hassle.
Also I have Saitek Pro pedals coming this week and they will most likely be analog. That should be a REAL mess as the drivers will have to be downloaded from Saitek (No CD Drive for the Saitek driver) and dealt with through Windows as I'm assuming the sim won't recognize them because they are not digital. I'm sure it will all work out in the end but all this is a new process for me as I'm used to the old FSX system where Windows recognized the controller and linked it to FSX with axis choices available by moving the control to activate the axis.
DH

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Just sent you an email, Dudley.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

patful wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 09:22 Just sent you an email, Dudley.
Got it. Many thanks!

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Glad to help!

ggi
Airman

Post by ggi »

It's taken me about 3 days to get the views sorted on my HOTAS Warthog to a point where I can pan and zoom into panels when I want. Definitely not intuitive, but actually offers many more options than I had in P3Dv5.
I like the snap views L and R and all the options to snap at the speed I want. What I didn't initially get was the Cockpit View and Instrument Views are treated indepentently and for example, you can assign the same controller button do do different actions depending what camera mode you are in. I don't personally like using the pine tree button on the joystick to trim (default setting) - I prefer setting that button for panning. Underneath the Pine tree button (Castle type?) I can snap view L or R in cockpit view, but use the same buttons to step through the close up instrument panels in Instrument view. Agreed, the controller menu is daunting, but I'm picking it up after a few days trial and error. I have a Xbox controller plugged into my PC so I was able to copy the functions I wanted from that and use them on the joystick. As stated, youtuber Squirrel has a video on MSFS controller set up which helped me a lot.
So far it feels like I'm almost starting from scratch....but I've been really impressed - so much so I've removed P3D, FSX and X-Plane already. The default Cessna and Beech aircraft feel more true to life - On a short flight yesterday the C152 needed constant adjustment in flight to keep in straight and level, every gust set it off on another level/heading, I've never really felt on a sim before - I certainly had experience in real life in the smaller Cessnas and this to me feels as close as it can to the real experience (apart from the Sim being unable to cause bodily harm or injury!!!!). I've noticed my landings have also become more interesting and challenging ....BTW, I'm loving the runway undulations!!! Definitely missing the A2A aircraft, but I know they'll come along in good time. Definitely no regrets on switching to MSFS!!!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

CamAir wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 08:45 Hi Dudley,

I got all of my Saitek hardware (and I got the entire set!) assigned. First I used the FS20 App, which I learnt to use from "Squirrel", see link below and watch all of the four videos. The answers you need are in video #2.

I then decided to use the latest version of SpadneXt, which is fully compatible with FS20, bar a temporary hiccup with Simconnect. As of this writing every possible button or axis in my hardware has been assign to at least three aircrafts.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4q_Tb ... b4PUbCyZen
A friend here on the forums turned me on to Squirrel last evening and I am in the process of watching all 4 of his excellent tutorials. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot better for having watched them. I HIGHLY recommend that EVERYONE watch these 4 films. They are really well done and give you a good head start with this new sim and how to set it up properly for your specific system.
Thanks for answering my fervent pleas for assistance. :-)
DH

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Still in awe of the eye candy atm but yer Ive also got Squirrels videos on my to watch list and general remapping to get sorted. One critcism I have of 2020 is that it didnt ship with an FSX style mapping option. I am surprised since even XP11 has an FSX style mapping option to ease those coming from FSX to the XP platform.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 14:32 Still in awe of the eye candy atm but yer Ive also got Squirrels videos on my to watch list and general remapping to get sorted. One critcism I have of 2020 is that it didnt ship with an FSX style mapping option. I am surprised since even XP11 has an FSX style mapping option to ease those coming from FSX to the XP platform.

cheers,
Lewis
That's the truth. It's been a pain, and I still haven't really figured out my camera control mapping. Chaseplane was so smooth, wish this was similar.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I've also configured my stick and keyboard assignments to be the same as FSX. I was surprised that the controls weren't the same, and I was also a bit surprised that it had no idea what to do with my stick at all. I had to assign the throttle and all control surface axes manually.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MFS is a whole new ball game. It is not FSX, stop trying to make it FSX Mk II. I am guilty of trying to make W10 like W7 and I found a program the did it's best to do that. But it was a halfway house mish mish. It also caused other irritations. I learned my lesson. W10 is different. As is MFS. Treat it like a NEW product, which it is,

Post courtesy of The Famous Grouse.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”