EULA Question: Recompiling A2A aircraft for FS2020?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
j0nx
Airman Basic

Re: EULA Question: Recompiling A2A aircraft for FS2020?

Post by j0nx »

Just wondering out loud here but didn't you get access to the alpha, beta and SDK like months and months ago? Wouldn't you have known then what was required to port your products over? What am I missing?

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

Missing the fact that SDK is not yet available. There is no way to use dlls that are essential for any complex plane. Maybe they would need to be signed in order to be accepted by the sim (which would be good for security reasons), but that means $$$ for 3rd party devs. No idea right now, more rumors now than concrete facts. Forcing devs to rewrite C++ code to old gauge-style code would be a huge step backwards.
Realistically speaking I don't expect any complex plane to arrive before Christmas. Maybe it will be possible for planes like Ant's Tiger Moth, but in high doubt for any model that uses dlls. So for now - patient we must be.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Remember A2A isn't a giant company, so it takes awhile to dig into a new sim and see what's different and how to best build for it. So I think we have to be patient and let them do their work and keep bringing us great planes. :)

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

The thought of having the entire A2A fleet in MSFS over quite possibly the next few months is frankly blowing my mind. Fingers crossed.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Buffy Foster wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 12:47 Remember A2A isn't a giant company, so it takes awhile to dig into a new sim and see what's different and how to best build for it. So I think we have to be patient and let them do their work and keep bringing us great planes. :)
They need to hire about 10 interns for the next 4 months.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

twsharp12 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 13:22
Buffy Foster wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 12:47 Remember A2A isn't a giant company, so it takes awhile to dig into a new sim and see what's different and how to best build for it. So I think we have to be patient and let them do their work and keep bringing us great planes. :)
Yes, but in reality that would be a very bad idea. If it is possible to just convert the old planes to MSFS, they want to release them for a very small price. You can't pay 10 interns for 4 months work with very cheaply priced addons.

HarryVoyager
Airman

Post by HarryVoyager »

Scott - A2A wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 15:45
HarryVoyager wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 09:21 So, it looks like getting an FSX aircraft into FS2020 may be possible, but will involve some conversion with the FS2020 dev kit.

Before I start trying to figure out how to do that, I just want to check, is that permissable under the A2A EULAs, provided that one has the license to use the aircraft in either FSX or P3D?
We're going through what works and what doesn't in terms of our existing fleet with 2020, but it's a process of testing things and compiling a list of results. If it turns out things work 100% then we would likely bring the entire fleet into 2020 rather quickly. There are still things being worked out with 2020 in terms of this compatibility.

In the meantime we don't want people moving planes in for several reasons. One is the files are only licensed for the platform they were designed for. The other is we don't want a 1/2 baked version out there with our name on it.

If the process is simple then we would likely make official installers for a much reduced price. If there are big issues, then we will just have to see what is possible. But again, as of right now we are in the midst of doing these tests to see where things stand.

But clearly, from our POV we would love to fly our Accu-Sim airplanes in 2020. We will keep you updated and thank you also for asking. I would expect to hear something definitive from us very soon.

Scott
Thank you for responding. I will refrain from tinkering with this then. While I am very much looking forward to getting into a steam gauge Bonnanza, I'll just have to console myself by trying to figure out if I can get the psuedo VR setup with PointCTRL running in the interim :)

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

cristi.neagu wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 13:36
twsharp12 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 13:22
Yes, but in reality that would be a very bad idea. If it is possible to just convert the old planes to MSFS, they want to release them for a very small price. You can't pay 10 interns for 4 months work with very cheaply priced addons.
Pay them with food and fidget spinners, or whatever youngsters play with today.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

As eager as I am to have my nice A2A planes in MSFS, I'll wait till A2A is ready to release the best possible ones, not just quick ports in legacy mode.

Besides, flying the default planes for awhile will make me appreciate the A2A ones even more when they come out. :D

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Buffy Foster wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 14:00 As eager as I am to have my nice A2A planes in MSFS, I'll wait till A2A is ready to release the best possible ones, not just quick ports in legacy mode.

Besides, flying the default planes for awhile will make me appreciate the A2A ones even more when they come out. :D
The way i see it, you'd be robbing yourself of a great experience. We know A2A will not release anything subpar, so if they do manage to port them they will be every bit as good, if not better, than their P3D roots. So worst case scenario they will release these ports and never do dedicated variants, in which case you will never get to fly the existing fleet on MSFS. Best case scenario they will release dedicated variants a few years from now, in which case your enjoyment of those releases will not be harmed in any way by using the ports, except that you've robbed yourself of years of flight time.

So, choice is yours, but it doesn't make much sense. It's A2A. We know that if they can't deliver at least P3D level of quality, they won't release them. And that's fair enough.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Good luck guys! Simple fact is I'm holding off even touching 2020 - not only because of the data limit on my internet plan (curse you, giant internet conglomerate which shall not be named), but because all the pretty visuals just won't be worth it until I've got an aircraft of A2A quality to enjoy them in.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Buffy Foster wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 14:00 As eager as I am to have my nice A2A planes in MSFS, I'll wait till A2A is ready to release the best possible ones, not just quick ports in legacy mode.
Buffy, I'm 70 years old. I don't have the luxury of waiting years for my favorite A2A aircraft.

They won't be using legacy mode as best I understand it, but I'd prefer legacy mode in the MSFS world to having to fly the default aircraft any more than I already have. And I'm beginning to think I might prefer flying A2A aircraft in P3D to making even one more trip in that Cessna 152.

Hook

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

My dear, Hook just wrote my post. I am not willing to wait an eternity before getting the A2A aircraft to Asobo’s world. And an eternity is two or three years after you passed 70 :D (71yo here).

A2A is the only designer of warbirds, nay of excellent warbirds. To put it bluntly I’d rather have my beloved T6 or 51 sooner with the legacy architecture than never with the new architecture.

GA : to see Carenado releasing a Skylane now when there was nothing closer than the Aerostar on the A2A radar screen was frustrating for an old customer like me ( currently 8 aircraft plus a couple of them before FSX). I’d say that the A2A Comanche or 182 even with the legacy architecture would be better.

I know that the Aerostar will be a great aircraft but honestly we need a couple of A2A « oldies » to wait for her. I am selfishly glad to hear A2A say they look into it now.

And thanks to @harryvoyager for raising the issue,
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Buffy Foster wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 14:00
To be fair the Katana and C152 are really well done for default aircraft. No engine simulation obviously but they feel quite real on the controls.

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

MarcE wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 04:52
Buffy Foster wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 14:00
To be fair the Katana and C152 are really well done for default aircraft. No engine simulation obviously but they feel quite real on the controls.
Aye, those two are very fun to fly. The DA62 feels right but I've never flown one RL but I did get to fly the DA42 at Sun n' Fun a few years ago. And now I have real world liveries for the A320 it's not as bad to look at it.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”