FS2020 A2A Aircraft

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Re: FS2020 A2A Aircraft

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

HarryVoyager wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 02:21
HE11DUDE04 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 04:12
gordonb wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 03:00 Hi

So with the immanent release of FS2020 can i install my A2A aircraft into this product or are A2A going to give us a new install for FS2020? Also will my A2A aircraft be compatable both with the Steam version and the XBox Microsoft version?

Thanks for your time

Gordon.
I heard there will be a "legacy mode" to allow for a little bit of backwards compatibility with old addons but a2a is so complicated it most likely won't work and even if it did I don't know how addons would even work on the xbox version.

Ok, so now that the game is out, what do we need to do to try it out? How were aircraft added in FSX?

Thank you,

Harry Voyager.

I don't know if it is in the game I just heard it could be and it most likely won't work with many addons even if it exists
AKA "Memey"

HarryVoyager
Airman

Post by HarryVoyager »

It occurs to me, a more basic question is, is it within the scope of the EULA to attempt to incorporate any of the A2A aircraft into FS2020?

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

A full blown A2A C172 is needed I think. They would be crazy not to redo the C172 for MSFS2020. The default C172 steam guage, which I'm flying in front of me right now, is nice and all and will do for now. But having accusim in MSFS2020 is going to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy lit bro.
ImageImage

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Wowsers. I don't normally panic, but I may be sticking with P3D for a while yet. Not having a good time with MSFS at all. Micro-stuttering like crazy, doesn't matter what level of detail, out in the boonies with no trees, no traffic, no weather, online/offline... Game recommended high settings with my rig, even turned it down to medium, same. Cessna 152, GTX 1080, i5-7600K OCd to 4.8, 32 GB RAM, SSD, 100 Mbps connection. CPU usage is at 50-75%, GPU at 29%, RAM at 10GB. Maybe it's my slow 2400MHz RAM. Doesn't make sense, watched videos on YouTube of folks running worse hardware and it looked much smoother even in cities. At least with P3D I knew the stutters came when I maxed out the GPU, but 29%? Can't register at their forum. Oof.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

patful wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 11:52 Wowsers. I don't normally panic, but I may be sticking with P3D for a while yet. Not having a good time with MSFS at all. Micro-stuttering like crazy, doesn't matter what level of detail, out in the boonies with no trees, no traffic, no weather, online/offline... Game recommended high settings with my rig, even turned it down to medium, same. Cessna 152, GTX 1080, i5-7600K OCd to 4.8, 32 GB RAM, SSD, 100 Mbps connection. CPU usage is at 50-75%, GPU at 29%, RAM at 10GB. Maybe it's my slow 2400MHz RAM. Doesn't make sense, watched videos on YouTube of folks running worse hardware and it looked much smoother even in cities. At least with P3D I knew the stutters came when I maxed out the GPU, but 29%? Can't register at their forum. Oof.
Well that doesn't sound promising. Hopefully this is a case of the software lacking polish? Let us know if it's better after the first patch comes out. Other than that, have any other impressions you can share?

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Scenery is gorgeous! I did get the GPU to 95-100% and CPU at a constant 100% in Christchurch, clear weather. Don't like that. Stuttering was no worse than when usage was lower, the classic look-out-the-side-windows stutter. No clue. Might be better at higher altitudes, but I don't fly over 5000 feet most of the time. I figured the CPU would be the bottleneck with it's measly 4 cores, and it is. Haven't figured out if it has an OSD or not, might have to re-install RTSS. Camera views are confusing, can't get the throttle to work on my X52 (default or my own mappings), yet the mixture works. Control sensitivity was insane until I adjusted it. I imagine I'll figure out some settings that work, but I didn't really expect to have to do that, could take weeks. :mrgreen: P3D was so much simpler, set it and forget it in 30 seconds. If I could get into the forum, there might be some tips.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

patful wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 12:56 Scenery is gorgeous! I did get the GPU to 95-100% and CPU at a constant 100% in Christchurch, clear weather. Don't like that. Stuttering was no worse than when usage was lower, the classic look-out-the-side-windows stutter. No clue. Might be better at higher altitudes, but I don't fly over 5000 feet most of the time. I figured the CPU would be the bottleneck with it's measly 4 cores, and it is. Haven't figured out if it has an OSD or not, might have to re-install RTSS. Camera views are confusing, can't get the throttle to work on my X52 (default or my own mappings), yet the mixture works. Control sensitivity was insane until I adjusted it. I imagine I'll figure out some settings that work, but I didn't really expect to have to do that, could take weeks. :mrgreen: P3D was so much simpler, set it and forget it in 30 seconds. If I could get into the forum, there might be some tips.
I'll be honest, the scenery hasn't been that great in the area's I like to fly with limited Bing coverage. I prefer Orbx and P3D in those cases. Flying in the cities or where coverage is good then of course MSFS2020 is much better. I hope they continue to update their satellite imagery.

Everything looks washed out and low detail in poor imagery areas.

Also the lack of any quality aircraft pains me. The default are pretty bad.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Forgot to mention I'm at 1080p.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Thanks for the info everyone. Don't mean to sound pessimistic here, but I had my doubts about the default aircraft quality. How well are their systems modeled? Do their engines respond to mixture adjustments like they should? Can you foul the plugs if you're idling on the ground?

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

ClipperLuna wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 13:50 Can you foul the plugs if you're idling on the ground?
Not that I noticed since I was fiddling with the X52 throttle for a good twenty minutes trying to figure out how to get off the ground (I did put every aircraft setting at hard). :mrgreen: I wasn't really counting on the systems anyway, was willing to wait for A2A down the road. Since I couldn't figure out the camera, the only way I could find the VC throttle was to have the checklist point out the mixture. While in the air, again, I'm hitting the checklist so I can reduce the throttle and mixture. I should have been wearing clown shoes on my rudder pedals, maybe I'm too old to learn something new. :roll: I need a forum account, but all I get is "Oops - Error 500."

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

ClipperLuna wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 13:50 Thanks for the info everyone. Don't mean to sound pessimistic here, but I had my doubts about the default aircraft quality. How well are their systems modeled? Do their engines respond to mixture adjustments like they should? Can you foul the plugs if you're idling on the ground?
I'd say in my limited time it's comparable to the Cessna physics and characteristics of the FSX default 172. I highly doubt plug fouling is modeled, at least not that I have noticed. Don't worry about checking mags.

Edit: Tried out a high altitude airport and you do need to bring the mixture back to get sufficient power. It seems to be modeled in some fashion.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Getting much better on the stuttering and GPU/CPU usage, limiting frame rates with RTSS. Three hours of tweaking has nearly all stuttering gone except a little in Auckland, Christchurch, and Queenstown, but no more than P3D with Orbx. GPU and CPU are down below 50% even in the cities, so I can probably keep messing with the settings to find the perfect match. Just added live traffic and some cars, no performance hit yet. Colors do look more washed out than the preview screenshots, maybe because I'm not in 4K? Finally got the X52 sorted out. I'm getting there. Panic is over! :mrgreen:
Last edited by patful on 18 Aug 2020, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

This crap is all over the place.... This is by Valdez.. PAVD isn't even represented.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Okay, tweaking done, only the camera left to figure out. It's beautiful! All it took was RTSS to limit the frame rates, which had been running 80-90 (in cities) with a lot of drops, pretty ridiculous with my mid-range computer. I set it to 40, and my GPU and CPU rarely go over 75% in heavy overcast. Performance is way better than P3Dv4 and Orbx NZ. I set graphics back to High, even raised a couple of the settings to Ultra, washed-out look is gone. Microstutters are pretty much gone. Would love to see some way of increasing the brightness, though, it's DARK when overcast. Maybe I'm just too used to P3D's brightness. I'm assuming the data is better for New Zealand than Alaska, haven't seen anything as severe as that weirdness that twsharp12 pointed out...yet. :wink: Strange waterfall in Milford Sound that sort of flashes, and an odd disappearing line off the coast of Auckland. Now for an A2A aircraft...

Edited: I finally found the cockpit/external panning and translating info I needed in the keyboard section, and was able to get my hat switches to work the old-school way. Eight hours of tweaking, two hours of flying. :roll: Nothing but tears of joy now...
Last edited by patful on 18 Aug 2020, 23:35, edited 3 times in total.

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

After some hiccups in the process, I finally got the new sim installed and went flying. Unfortunately, my old PC is not up to the task, but I was expecting that. (I have an i5-4670 and a GTX 760.) However, from what little I could tell with the graphics on low settings and my PC struggling to keep up, I was very impressed. I think this is going to be an excellent new sim and a massive step forward for flight simulation; I just need to build a new PC that can run the thing! :|

I did find my house, though! :D

As far as the default aircraft are concerned, I only really flew the Cessna 152 for any substantial length of time. I tried to fly the 172 and the Savage Cub, but my PC was struggling so much by that point that I gave up. However, from what I could tell from the little bit of flying I did in the 152, I was impressed. I'm not a real-world pilot, but the flight model seemed quite good to me. It didn't seem to be "on rails" like default aircraft in previous iterations of MSFS. And, of course, the default aircraft, like the rest of the sim, are graphically gorgeous (well, not on my PC, but... :lol: ). Again, my old PC was struggling, so I wasn't able to assess much of anything extensively, but I have high hopes for this sim. :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”