Has anyone done a pre-purchase on the new Microsoft FS 2020?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Has anyone done a pre-purchase on the new Microsoft FS 2020?

Post by AKar »

patful wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 11:17 [...] not to mention P3D pausing when I haven't even hit the pause button.
Isn't there a setting such as "pause on task switch" or something? Un-tick if there was.

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

As a flight simmer, yes on Steam so I can keep track of hours nice and easy and because I am a steam user so one house and all that.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Hook wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 12:02
I'm firmly in "wait and see" mode. I didn't pre-order, I don't expect to purchase until I've seen what the community is saying (taking EVERYTHING with a very large grain of salt), and I don't guarantee I'll be ordering any time soon.

I did not delete P3Dv4, and I don't intend to.

I'm in the Beta, I see what we've got right now, and I believe it is ready for release to first time simmers. That is not to imply that it is perfect or finished, and there will be a segment of the current simming community that won't be very happy. I prefer to make my own decisions.

I'm finding it very pleasant to fly, but I'm getting a little tired of the Cessna 152. I might get ambitious and start modifying files, or I might leave it like it is. Or... I might go back and fly my A2A aircraft in P3Dv4... I still have that option. :)

Hook
Can you even say that out loud?
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

AKar wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 12:05 Isn't there a setting such as "pause on task switch" or something? Un-tick if there was.
Thanks, Esa. There is indeed that setting, and I finally did unclick it. But I shouldn't have to, never happened in previous versions. Maybe it now considers Windows or Office checking for an update in the background a task switch, but I don't. I'm just flying along and it pauses. The crashes are what ended it for me. If the new sim crashes, then I've got a problem. :mrgreen:
Pat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

patful wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 12:47
AKar wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 12:05 Isn't there a setting such as "pause on task switch" or something? Un-tick if there was.
Thanks, Esa. There is indeed that setting, and I finally did unclick it. But I shouldn't have to, never happened in previous versions. Maybe it now considers Windows or Office checking for an update in the background a task switch, but I don't. I'm just flying along and it pauses. The crashes are what ended it for me. If the new sim crashes, then I've got a problem. :mrgreen:
Pat
Well, I guess that's just a part of that ever-annoying go-through-what-they've-changed procedure. Like when changing phones, or cameras or... airplanes. :)

Windows task switching is something I'm willing to leave for else to explain. I'd empty my shotgun at it. :mrgreen:

For me, the primary reason for crashes in P3Dv4 was changing the views (almost) simultaneously with window changes or perhaps task switching; it crashed almost 100 % repeatably if changing to external view and then exiting the program. The v5 is generally more stable, though it still has these newborn-crashes mostly traceable to some given addon. Feature-wise, I think it should be an early beta at best, but not considering the new stuff, I'm finding it both better performing and more stable than the v4.

-Esa

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Hook wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 12:02 I'm in the Beta, I see what we've got right now, and I believe it is ready for release to first time simmers. That is not to imply that it is perfect or finished, and there will be a segment of the current simming community that won't be very happy.
I'm in the beta too and simming since Sublogic Flight Simulator II back in the 80s. Let's just say I already pre-ordered weeks ago. I'm definitely happy. ;)

That some people will never be happy with anything, no matter how good it is, goes without saying. :D
Happy Landings
- Patrick

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

What is the point of pre-purchasing a software that is to be downloaded?

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Ron Attwood wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 10:01 I pre-ordered yesterday and wouldn't you know it, out of the blue I got a PM from a highly respected person in the FlightSim community who is a beta tester and developer, saying, if you want 'pretty' you'll get pretty in spades. If you want realistic flight/wind dynamics then you'll be very disappointed.
I was then given a long list of stuff that Asobo apparently are not interested in fixing.

I cancelled my order.

I'll see how it pans out. :)

I‘ve heard the total opposite from rw pilots who are on the beta. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Ron Attwood wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 12:25Can you even say that out loud?
Which part? That I think it's ready for release to first time simmers? Don't tell anyone, I could get tarred and feathered. Or worse.

Hook

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

MarcE wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 14:22 What is the point of pre-purchasing a software that is to be downloaded?
Hopefully pre-load of the substiantial download size, to get in before the rush and start simming on day one. But that remains to be seen. Ther is nothing to lose be pre-ordering either. I'm gonna get it ASAP no matter what and the price is what it is at launch.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Jigsaw wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 14:29
MarcE wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 14:22 What is the point of pre-purchasing a software that is to be downloaded?
Hopefully pre-load of the substiantial download size, to get in before the rush and start simming on day one. But that remains to be seen. Ther is nothing to lose be pre-ordering either. I'm gonna get it ASAP no matter what and the price is what it is at launch.
Ok that‘s a point... the purchase servers might go down xD

Moose214
Airman

Post by Moose214 »

I finally pre-ordered MSFS2020 a couple weeks ago after I read a rumor that additional content or a bonus gift would be included. I had wondered, "Why would anyone pre-order a download when they can just order it on the day of release?"
So, who knows...

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Just got my free t-shirt, stickers, buttons, and a 6' Microsoft flag to fly proudly outside my home. Nah! :mrgreen: I pre-ordered because the medical bills for my stupid foot finally stopped coming in last month, paid them off, and I wanted to buy something for FUN for a change before I changed my mind.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Not pre-purchasing this one. Fallen for that trick too many times only to be disappointed. If I do get it, it will probably be on Steam and not before someone comes out with some decent aircraft, or in a sale. :wink:

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Apparently the pre-purchase doesn't get you any extras. I'm in the "wait and see" camp, but from most of the videos I've seen, it looks pretty good. Most of the comments I've seen on these videos suggest most of the planes have acceptable flight dynamics, including some comments by those who fly the planes in real life, though I haven't seen any vids on the turbo props. I'm a piston engine flyer anyway, and what I've seen looks OK. I don't imagine I'll spend much time on it until A2A releases something anyway. Either way, I definitely won't be making any firm decisions until next month, after the dust settles a little.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”