addon GPS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Hf17
Airman Basic

addon GPS

Post by Hf17 »

I really want to be able to do rnav approaches, but Im unable to because the default gns400 can't be updated. I tried the flight1 and reality xp gng 430, but both had outdated data that I couldn't update because I would have to buy the actual data from Garmin, which is too expensive. Are there any other addon gps units that are easily updatable maybe through Navigraph or something? I dont care what type of gps it is, as long as it can do rnav approaches and can be put in the virtual cockpits. thanks

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: addon GPS

Post by Paughco »

I have the RXP GTN 650 and 750. I have the 650 in my T-6, Civ P-51, and Connie. The 750 is in the Comanche and 182. The Bonanza has both. I've used them to do RNAV approaches, and other GPS-assisted approaches. I bought my GTN on December 31st, 2019, as sort of an early Christmas present. The Garmin trainer and the RXP GTN have each been updated at least twice since purchase. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that the RXP GNS 430 and 530 are periodically updated as well. I like the more modern look of the GTNs, but I see that the GNSs have "cross-fill," which I wish I really had.

Right now I'm running P3D v5, which has more recent map data. The P3D v4 and all previous versions of P3D and FSX have an ancient representation of the map data. This is illustrated by the Class B airspace around SeaTac Airport (KSEA). The old data shows the Class B airspace as a sort of fan shape to the North and South, whereas the latest version of the Class B airspace for KSEA looks almost like the plan view of a Ford-class aircraft carrier (sorta :? ). It was irritating to deal with the older data, when I knew that there was a new version out there. Well, now I have it in P3D v5.

Still, I was able to fly ILS, RNV, and even visual approaches, in P3D v4 with the old data, and P3D v5 with the new data, once I figured out how to get the GTN to work. It took many tries! Many watchings of various YouTube videos. Let me tell you, it felt pretty good the first time I saw the glideslope get captured! Hang in. Even the "outdated data" has ILS and RNAV approaches. Pick either the Flight1 or RXP and go for it (I like RXP). Then get out there and fly the airplane on an approach. Try it over and over until you finally get it. It's very satisfying. Especially in the Connie on a cloudy night.

One trick that I learned is when flying toward the IAF (for my GTN, at least) is to leave it in GPS mode, as it will automatically switch itself to VNAV mode at the appropriate time. I would be flying toward the IAF, with the autopilot in HDG mode, keeping an eye on the HSI. When the course needle comes alive I switch the autopilot to NAV. When the glideslope comes alive, I switch it to APPR. I breathe a sigh of relief when the glideslope is captured. I hope I got that right. Need to get out there and practice some more.

Other stuff to consider: The T-6 autopilot won't capture the glideslope. The Comanche isn't much better. The Sperry in the Connie? Fuggetaboudit. I use the standard, default, Shift+6 autopilot in the Connie. The Mustang and the Bonanza, no problem-o.

Seeya
ATB

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: addon GPS

Post by AKar »

Remember that what the GPS addons based on Garmin trainers show has nothing to do with the host simulation database, be that FSX or P3D. As mentioned, they use Garmin database files which, unfortunately, are not readily sourced from anywhere but Garmin's. Having old host simulator data has no effects whatsoever on RNAV approaches and such, because they only live within the Garmin. Where the old sim data does have an effect is on radio navaids, ILSes included, and in some cases, on runway numbering, because all these may change every now and then. For FSX and P3D, these can be readily and easily updated, though, with no costs. And of course, outdated airspaces in the simulator can be an issue if one deals with the default ATC.

The current navigation database included with the trainer is AIRAC 1909, expired in September 2019, so it is fairly recent. For most purposes this should not be a problem, and every so often an updated Garmin trainer comes with more up-to-date database.

I don't quite gasp what is the original issue preventing one from doing RNAV approaches with RXP units? Is there a specific approach that has been changed since AIRAC 1909 that is the issue?

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”