is 8gb ram enough?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
ironmanthe3000
Airman

is 8gb ram enough?

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

first of all i would like to thank you for helping me with my fps problem.

i have decided to buy 8 gb ram, i have doubt will it run more than 20 fps?

flight simulator:FSX

old sys:
4gb ram
1.6ghz processor pentium j
59 hz screen (all in one)
no graphics card only integrated graphics
64bit win 10

i get around 12 to 15 fps in old sys.

new sys:
only ram will be upgraded to 8 gb.

worth it to upgrade ram? thanks.

[guys sorry for posting silly questions but i do not have any knowledge about computer and i cant buy new gaming pc thats why im asking thanks for your kind help.]
Last edited by ironmanthe3000 on 03 Aug 2020, 09:10, edited 2 times in total.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Re: is 8gb ram enough?

Post by Artur »

u forgot to add info about sim we talk about...

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

Artur wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 05:31 u forgot to add info about sim we talk about...
ohh my god sorry
FSX it is ill update.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

For years i was using GTX750 with 4GB and with reasonable settings sim was always smooth.
I have a feeling that 8GB is even too much for FSX

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Now i have 6GB GPU and using P3D4.5 - A2A is butter smooth with locked 60fps

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

My bad - u talk about computer RAM not GPU ...
8GB - u will not notice significant improvement with fps, maybe loading time will be a bit shorter

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Hi

I would hazard a guess that you’re running a 32bit operating system. That can’t address more than 4Gb of RAM, so there is no gain adding more RAM.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

Mickel wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 07:10 Hi

I would hazard a guess that you’re running a 32bit operating system. That can’t address more than 4Gb of RAM, so there is no gain adding more RAM.
yes, sir but i realized fsx using 98 percentage cpu and without running any programs my pc uses half the ram to run itself and when i start fsx on lowest setting possible i saw only 200 mb ram free or sometimes even 150mb ram free in task manager(my fps are locked at 30), so i decided cheapest and easily possible way to boost performance would be the ram upgradation and before doing that i came here.
i have only one addon aircraft p51d no scenery too....
may be free ram will increase and it will run smoother, i hope so.
thanks for replying.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

If you are not getting flags that say your system crashed due to out of memory errors, then adding ram wont help, but it won't hurt either. The main bottle neck is a processor running at 1.6 ghz. that is really slow.

One of the great things about flight siming is that you get to learn all kinds of new things, about airplanes and aviation, about weather, and even about computers. The interesting thing about FSX is that it is 10 years old, which is medieval in computer terms, but the program still does amazingly well. It was built for computers that were cutting age 10 years ago but now are dirt cheap.

You don't need an expensive high end gaming computer to get really good performance out of FSX. My computer, built 10 years ago, is based on a 10 year old motherboard and I have up graded the various peripherals over the years mainly with parts bought used and cheap on Ebay. My suggestion would be to start learning more about computers. You may find that it doesn't cost a lot to have a faster computer.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

The thing with FSX is that it runs almost purely on CPU power and on one single core. So an as fast as possible CPU will help. 8GB of RAM will let your sim use the full 4GB it can handle and let windows use the rest as long as your system is 64bit. If you have a 32bit windows version your 8GB will add nothing. 32bit means that the program can adress 2^32 bytes of memory with equals to approximately 4GB. So FSX will not use more than 4GB of your memory no matter how much you have. But Windows can use the rest if it‘s a 64bit version.

P3dv4 has been the first „FSX“ like version that can adress more, well, much more.

Regarding VRAM, so the memory of your graphic card, FSX is veeeery modest. Most older graphic cards had 512 or max 1GB VRAM and FSX ran very well with them. I think the DX10 preview mode together witz Steve‘s DX10 fixer took a little more advantage of the virtual ram and GPU, but not much.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”